What makes blade fast or flexible?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I noticed that Harimoto ALC has same construction as HL5. Limba-Limba-ALC-Ayous
(BTW, this site is really cool, shows many construction types of BTY and DHS blades https://tabletennisblades.com/butterfly-blades)

I think Harimoto is actually thicker as well, yet it is slower.

I would have thought that the wood-type and thickness has the biggest impact on speed and flex. But what else can explain the difference?

says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
I’m sorry to tell you, but in many aspects you are wrong:
neither Harimoto, nor hl5 is Limba-Limba-alc-ayous. Both are Limba-ayous-alc-ayous. In addition to that, both have 5,9-6,0mm. And last, but not least, Harimoto is much faster than hl5. Hl5 is one of the slowest alc blades you can find, but so much people think that it needs to be super fast because ma long plays with it (or at least pretends to do so).
If you don’t believe me, go to ttgearlab and read about it

• Love
Reactions: ttarc and MK73
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I’m sorry to tell you, but in many aspects you are wrong:
neither Harimoto, nor hl5 is Limba-Limba-alc-ayous. Both are Limba-ayous-alc-ayous. In addition to that, both have 5,9-6,0mm. And last, but not least, Harimoto is much faster than hl5. Hl5 is one of the slowest alc blades you can find, but so much people think that it needs to be super fast because ma long plays with it (or at least pretends to do so).
If you don’t believe me, go to ttgearlab and read about it
Well if you assume that wood type and thickness actually is the dominant factor in determining speed, then you would expect that the Harimoto ALC and HL5 would have nearly the same speed. So, is that just the answer?

If not, what are the main factors that determine speed and flex of a blade?

says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
Well if you assume that wood type and thickness actually is the dominant factor in determining speed, then you would expect that the Harimoto ALC and HL5 would have nearly the same speed. So, is that just the answer?

If not, what are the main factors that determine speed and flex of a blade?

There are so many different factors, which obviously are different in these two blades: it’s not the same fiber, the plies do have not have the same thickness, used glue, how much epoxy used for fiber, etc…

Reactions: MK73