WTT Star Contender Doha 2022

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
It has been shown that Nakamura has beaten Carlsen in blitz many times, and that refutes your opinion.

You don't think the same in either standard or Blitz game, Blitz is more in the "autopilot" area, you should look at some funny faces in online blitz games with Etienne Bacrot when he facepalms after doing a terrible move he would have never done with more time and in a different mood.

That's why it's possible to see some HUGE surprises in that 11 pts format in TT that you would have never seen in the old format.

I think the right move would be to transition to the Volley-Ball system: 25 pts per set, and then at 2 sets a 15 pts tie break, shorter enough and long enough to see some come backs...

The 21 pts regular game, 1 game all and then 11pts tie break would have been awesome to me, or 2/2 with 21 pts each game and then tie break 11 pts in the 5 th game for the SF and F matches, the 5 or 6 pts they do sometimes is stupid, it's way too short. It's like playing bullet in chess (1 mn/1 mn).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

🤣 Tell that to the 600 million chess players. It's the most popular game in the world, and just now finishing one the most exciting grand prix series in recent memory.

Maaan, those ups and downs every day between MVL, Wesley So and Vishy Anand hahaha it's good to see Ricky Rapport at that level, very refreshing to see how a challenger can make it happen ! yeah we should open a chess thread for instance...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I think she has room to improve her RC from 39 to 17-32 , and her WR will fall in that range as well. both will converge.

some asian players will have retired, making room for her, but maybe some others will sneak in as well. I think also she won't be that lucky in her next draws, earning her some early exits. she should logically keep her continental title. it would be a disaster for her to lose it to Takahashi or someone else or simply to be injured at that time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It has been shown that Nakamura has beaten Carlsen in blitz many times, and that refutes your opinion.

You don't think the same in either standard or Blitz game, Blitz is more in the "autopilot" area, you should look at some funny faces in online blitz games with Etienne Bacrot when he facepalms after doing a terrible move he would have never done with more time and in a different mood.

That's why it's possible to see some HUGE surprises in that 11 pts format in TT that you would have never seen in the old format.

I think the right move would be to transition to the Volley-Ball system: 25 pts per set, and then at 2 sets a 15 pts tie break, shorter enough and long enough to see some come backs...

The 21 pts regular game, 1 game all and then 11pts tie break would have been awesome to me, or 2/2 with 21 pts each game and then tie break 11 pts in the 5 th game for the SF and F matches, the 5 or 6 pts they do sometimes is stupid, it's way too short. It's like playing bullet in chess (1 mn/1 mn).

"Many Times". Since you love "Bayesian analysis", which is based on probabilities and not absolute claims, you should post about Nakamura's success vs Carlsen at all time controls in terms of probabilities and expectations. And there is a difference between saying "calculation is all that matters" and that "a player's superpower isn't calculation, but evaluation". Do you have an Elo? You seem to make a lot of confident claims about very complicated topics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
i am only a recreational chess player with an online rating but i have a masters degree in statistics, although that was several decades ago, and i've not been using much of it in my job. If Ratings were the truth they would never adjust. its just an assessment, with very well defined rules. Then you can post your own priors or biases so you can position yourself vs those numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldUser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
i am only a recreational chess player with an online rating but i have a masters degree in statistics, although that was several decades ago, and i've not been using much of it in my job. If Ratings were the truth they would never adjust. its just an assessment, with very well defined rules. Then you can post your own priors or biases so you can position yourself vs those numbers.

I have my own engineering and analytics background (no masters in Statistics though too many courses). But I watch too much online chess and in blitz chess, one can think of Nakamura and Carlsen as being a version (and this is not a perfect analogy) of Fan Zhendong VS Ma Long where you know that both are all time greats at what they do, but one has a significantly winning record over the other in all kinds of matches which you can obscure by pointing out that Fan has *many* wins over Ma Long. That was all I was trying to say.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
it would be a pity if Aruna doesn't win this tournament after beating 3 Chinese. This tournament MUST be his

Well he needs to "revenge" Lim Junghoon first. If he does that, I can see him being a clear favorite over both Gacina and Karlsson, but Gacina looks extremely solid in this tournament and Karlsson played him tough in Houston (which I watched live). Regardless, this has been an Aruna tournament for the ages.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Aruna is a great role model in many ways.
Despite not having a conventional forehand, he is excelling with his uniquie forehand along with his althetism. Just shows that you don't have to have the 'Chinese' technique to be excellent in table tennis. While he may not reach world no 1, it should offer amateurs relief that they can still excel with an unconventional technique.

Looking forward to his match against Zhou Qi Hao.

I really don't care his fh technique. I like Aruna for his attitude - never give up. Despite his age and body shape, he does a lot of risky shot. He compensates it by running around the court. Aruna is my favourite after Xu Xin. Two very entertaining tt players

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Good comeback, but not sure it is amazing when the attacker doesn't make you move to the ball or reach for the ball and never pushes it short. Maybe she truly attacked Han Ying's middle a few times.

Good point.

I must say Kato was running out of steam after the 3rd game. The quality of her attacks just went downhill

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi