The Chess Thread

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
So instead of showing everyone here on TTD that the ELO rating system is the best (period !), let's talk about everything chess related here.

The russia federation has filled an appeal to the FIDE because of the Karjiakin ban about his pro-Putin views of the Ukraine situation, no need to talk about politics, just who would you see to replace him for the last sit remaining at the next Candidates Tournament ?

Do you think Alireza Firouzja should "politely" ask Bacrot and Vachier Lagrave to coach him and stop whinning constantly about the FIDE ?

Do you think Hikaru Nakamura will win the tournament ? Any chance for Richard Rapport who's now confirming his past potential ?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
So instead of showing everyone here on TTD that the ELO rating system is the best (period !)
Yet another statement without facts.
Ratings Central is pretty good. It is the only rating system I have seen that places a standard deviation on the rating so that old ratings are not weighted as much as newer ratings when figuring out the ratings won or loss.

Few understand ratings central and how the ratings are computed because the math involves convolution of probabilities.

• Haha
Reactions: OldUser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Have you guys heard of chess boxing? Pretty big up there in the UK. We can use the same format. Play a 3 minute round of chess for every game of table tennis. Win by checkmate or game set match.

• Haha
Reactions: Gekko and OldUser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Yet another statement without facts.
Ratings Central is pretty good. It is the only rating system I have seen that places a standard deviation on the rating so that old ratings are not weighted as much as newer ratings when figuring out the ratings won or loss.

Few understand ratings central and how the ratings are computed because the math involves convolution of probabilities.

Rating Central is actually... ELO based, FYI.... and the official WTT ranking is actually the worst one.

see what I mean ? official... WTT... Rating Central is not the official one.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
About the difference between evaluation and calculation, blitz and classic games, my reply to NextLevel:

Read this article to understand why a deeper calculation will always win in a classic game, it's quite simple: short term goals (tactics) vs long term goals (strategy). We all know that long term goals require deeper calculations.

Evaluation is only the 1st step, it's the basis of chess learning: for example, judging a weak or strong pawn when it's isolated or doubled, weak or strong pawns structure, etc. Amateur players with some good training can evaluate a position quite well, what you'll be able to create based on that evaluation is way more difficult: how far, deep so, will be able to calculate.

This article shows exactly why Blitz is only for short term goals, tactical moves. You can play bad/innacurate openings but still have a chance to win, that's exactly what Nakamura does and why he's a strong blitz player: he's excellent for short-term goals, tactical moves. An innacurate, short minded and not enough deep calculated opening in a classic 2h/2h game is prohibitive, and that's why he's got a so bad W/D/L ratio vs Carlsen when it comes to classic/rapid games. Playing too much Blitz games can lead to wrong habits, what I name that kind of "autopilot" way of moving the pieces.

https://wegochess.com/why-can-nakamura-never-win-against-carlsen/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Ian Nepomniachtchi is still too good in Classic, of course if you open the thread we must consider other candidates just to be clear
For me Duda is dark horse, but I still think that Ian is too good.

https://images.chesscomfiles.com/uploads/v1/images_users/tiny_mce/PedroPinhata/phpAKnVty.png

phpAKnVty.png

Nepo is the obvious favorite, that's why I didn't mention him: he's already won that tournament, he's already faced Carlsen in the ultimate fight, he's the most experienced player here. Problem is: he's not won a single game vs Carlsen last time in Dubaï, losing that 6th game after 8 hours of play has killed him. Not a strong morale to me. But probably the player that has the deeper calculations of all the contenders for that tournament.

To me the most exciting players to follow will be Alireza Firouzja of course and Richard Rapport, probably the guys that have the deepest calculations and a strong morale. They are the youngers too with JK Duda, the Next Gen of chess. That's why I'd like to see one of them instead of Nepo facing Carlsen.

Hikaru is always strong vs the weaker players but weak vs the stronger ones, because of his innacurate openings and his kind of blitz moving habits. Not my fav player.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Rating Central is actually... ELO based,

Only roughly. RC Central takes into account the standard deviation or variance of the ratings whereas ELO does not.
Most ratings systems are a zero sum rating system where if one loses point then the opponent gains the same number of points. The RC system isn't like that.

BTW, back in 1987 I played in USCF tournament and got a rating of 2057 in my first and only tournament. The problem is that I got busy working 14 days on a big project. Now I have an Nvidia graphics card with 2560 CUDA cores that can run Stockfish search at amazing speeds and strengths that no human player can match.

I wrote a chess program and entered it in many USCF tournaments back in the late 1980s. The program could never play as well as I could by a wide margin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Read this article to understand why a deeper calculation will always win in a classic game, it's quite simple: short term goals (tactics) vs long term goals (strategy). We all know that long term goals require deeper calculations.
This isn't true. It doesn't no good to do a 7 ply calculation it the valuation routine is not accurate. Basically the computer searches for the wrong thing.

You guys can talk about. I have lived it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
On tactics vs strategy:

"Good players develop a tactical instinct, a sense of what is possible or likely and what is not worth calculating."
"The tactician knows what to do when there is something to do; whereas the strategian knows what to do when there is nothing to do."
"Tactics flow from a superior position."

Some other quotes I like:

"The pin is mightier than the sword."
"There are two types of sacrifices: correct ones and mine."
"I see only one move ahead, but it is always the correct one."
"A bad day of Chess is better than any good day at work."

"Chess doesn’t drive people mad, it keeps mad people sane."
"Chess is everything: art, science and sport."
"Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make people happy."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This isn't true. It doesn't no good to do a 7 ply calculation it the valuation routine is not accurate. Basically the computer searches for the wrong thing.

You guys can talk about. I have lived it.

Modern computers have more sophisticated valuation routines as well as better processing power. Your main point is correct though, and it takes a more sophisticated view of chess to realize that there is no real calculation without evaluation, and it is really the speed and level.of nuance of the evaluation that makes you better at longer time controls. The exception somewhat is when it comes to evaluating material based forcing variations.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Have you guys heard of chess boxing? Pretty big up there in the UK. We can use the same format. Play a 3 minute round of chess for every game of table tennis. Win by checkmate or game set match.

actually i went to a ChessBoxing match when I was in London, it was quite fun. i also remember the Russian girl i was with on a date on that day...

so we do TT + Boxing or TT + Chess ?