Heavy or Light for looping?

Hi, i have a few questions about blades😊. I really like to loop with my forehand, I’m forehand dominant and I play Chinese forehand style.
I like to out-spin my opponents, rather than out-speed them.
What is best for slow, spinny loops? (Only wood btw, no carbon) 5ply or 7ply? Limba, Koyoto, or the other wood types. Which one gives the most ‘flexibility’ and spin/ ease of imparting spin? I have heard some different answers, so I am unsure if stiff or flexible is best, and what wood type is the Spinniest.
Also what weight would be the best for looping spinny, I am physically strong, but does that mean I get more spin with heavy blade?

If you have any recommendations for blades, or know what wood type/number of plies is best, then please make a comment below😊.
Have a nice day, thank you for reading!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Well obviously, if you have Chinese forehand style, all the Chinese top players with forehand dominant styles use the HL5 and its variants. It is limba surface with alc inner composite. You can try the Hurricane Long 5 or the Fang Bo Carbon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Limba wood supposedly is softer and gives more dwell time and more spin. Sanwei CC is also a limba surface blade with good spin and speed. More flex generally gives more spin.

I'm not sure how weight affects spin, but anything 85g to 95g would be fine.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Hi, i have a few questions about blades😊. I really like to loop with my forehand, I’m forehand dominant and I play Chinese forehand style.
I like to out-spin my opponents, rather than out-speed them.
What is best for slow, spinny loops? (Only wood btw, no carbon) 5ply or 7ply? Limba, Koyoto, or the other wood types. Which one gives the most ‘flexibility’ and spin/ ease of imparting spin? I have heard some different answers, so I am unsure if stiff or flexible is best, and what wood type is the Spinniest.
Also what weight would be the best for looping spinny, I am physically strong, but does that mean I get more spin with heavy blade?

If you have any recommendations for blades, or know what wood type/number of plies is best, then please make a comment below😊.
Have a nice day, thank you for reading!
In the big picture it doesn’t matter. it’s all technique. Out spinning your opponent is fine, but ALL Chinese players impact/hit the ball and also spin it. This how they get a blistering fast shot.

A flexy 5 ply will probably be the easiest to spin and the hardest would be something like primorac carbon.

You could opt for ma lin extra off which is fast enough for the modern game. Something also worth considering is Hurricane Hao II more flexy and easier to spin.

technique is king.

Last edited:
Reactions: pingpongpaddy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Limba wood supposedly is softer and gives more dwell time and more spin.
How much more dwell time?
How much more spin?
Don't tell use because other people have said so.
How did they measure the dwell time and spin?

More flex generally gives more spin.
I wonder if my Toxic 5 agrees. I have high videos that show it is super flexible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Do not really know what chinese style is, but i am pretty sure that they are not famous for slow spinny loops. I agree that it is good to be able to loop first one spinny, but still if you are forehand dominant, with the plastic ball and china rubber(?) then maybe you can have main focus to play harder?

Regarding equoipment i feel that softer blades give you more arc and the ball stays longer on the racket so maybe easier to play slow spinny loops, but i think you need to play pretty far from the table and maybe that is not the way too go if you are forehand dominant.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
In theory one may say using a more flexible blade ( usually it means five ply all wood or blade rated ALL+ or OFF- ) will give slow & spinny loop.

However I have also seen FZD + ML + LJK do slow and spinny loop using their current set up as well as fast powerful loop kill.

Ask yourself, does my first paragraph makes sense then? It doesn't does it.

Better to forget equipment can do this or that. Better to think along the line skill set can do this or that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
The fact that world best players can do it with their carbon blades is irrelevant.
One can do slow spinny loop with a brick that has a tt rubber attached to it if it's thin brush contact.

Some things are easier to do with certain equipment.
Slow spinny loop is easier to achieve with slow "spinny" blade.

Reactions: DukeGaGa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
So maybe nittaku acoustic wood blade will be great for slow spinny loops with 39 boosted H3 or dignics 09c

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
In theory one may say using a more flexible blade ( usually it means five ply all wood or blade rated ALL+ or OFF- ) will give slow & spinny loop.

However I have also seen FZD + ML + LJK do slow and spinny loop using their current set up as well as fast powerful loop kill.

Ask yourself, does my first paragraph makes sense then? It doesn't does it.

Better to forget equipment can do this or that. Better to think along the line skill set can do this or that.

I think you got something mixed up here. It's not about a certain equipment can or cannot produce what kind of shots, it's about how easy it is to produce those shots, and by what skill level players. There's also the margin of error, and there's definitely a speed/spin ceiling for each blade. So the equipment one uses definitely is important, due to their own skill levels, and whether he/she are still improving or just want to play as is.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
sadly there is more to consider when it comes to picking an ideal weight for your blade. But a gd guideline will be to pick something that is between 84g - 88g.

what i normally look out for is weight balance, eg. a 82g blade can feel powerful enough if its centre of gravity is at the tip of the racket face ( head heavy) and a heavy blade eg. 90g+ can feel comfortable and not sluggish if the centre of gravity is near the handle of the racket.

so if u want to have decent power while using a light racket to generate good quality spin, find head heavy rackets.
if u want more power via increasing overall weight, make sure its centre of gravity is near the handle so you dont fatigue yourself from using a heavier racket

Above suggestion can only be done if you were to visit a physical store since u get to balance the racket at the tip of your finger to figure out the centre of gravity.

Note: remember the overall balance will change once you add your rubber sheets so do account for that before your pruchase. Hope you can find your next game-improving racket

Cheers!

Reactions: jammmail

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
five-ply limba outer is going to be the consensus. after that it's down to how much you want to pay and what handle shapes you like.

Idk how up to date it is with new blades, but this composition database can be hours of fun.
https://stervinou.net/ttbdb/compo.php