Fang Bo Carbon Review - Best blade ever, ask me anything!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I tried my new Fang Bo Carbon/Hurricane Bo 2 today for the first time. I had boosted H3N commercial on FH, and old Tenergy 05 on BH. Blown away by it, because it is the best blade I have ever tried. I own V14 Pro, Sanwei CC, TB ZLC, Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive, Sanwei 75 ALC. Have also played with HL5, TB ALC, ZJK ALC, Harimoto ALC, etc. Mine was 90g, but swing weight is heavier because it is head heavy.

Initially when I started hitting with it, I noticed all my drives and loops were landed precisely in the middle of the table lengthwise. The shots are the most consistent of any blade I have used, and the throw angle and arc feels perfect. Every shot feels safe as it clears the net with ease and lands perfectly into the center of the table. I never missed a shot and did that thing where you look at your racket wondering what went wrong, but if I missed it felt like it was my own fault. When I played a game, immediately I noticed that the rallies were longer than usual, because my own consistency increased quite dramatically. I played a match with a guy that I often lose to 0-3, (including many 11 to 3, 11 to 5 type games). This time, I was able to win 3-1, with most games going to deuce. I have a very topspin oriented game, and FH oriented style, and this blade is very well suited for topspin. But I also didn't think it was disadvantaged on BH either, as I felt more confident with my BH. Dima Ovtcharov said that he got the idea from Ma Long to change his blade to a inner carbon blade to gain confidence to hit hard in crucial moments of a game. This blade suits that description, you feel very confident in your topspin shots. They are consistent, and always land in the center of where you are aiming.

In regards to speed, I completely disagree with people who have said its slow or a Off- blade. Compared to my Sanwei CC, the carbon is closer to the core, so it indeed takes a little more hip turn and elbow snap to activate the carbon. The CC has carbon closer to the surface and is easier to activate and feels more elastic and is faster on most shots, but when you do hit a full stroke, the BO2 is nearly just as fast. On slow and medium shots, the blade gives incredible sense of control. IMO, this blade is definitely faster than Viscaria, and close in speed to the CC (which is very fast). I can imagine some players might struggle with this blade, if you have that kind of "chicken wing" stroke, it might be harder to activate the carbon and get enough power. This blade does ask for a good stroke with good follow through, hip turn, elbow snap.

In regards to flex, the blade has limba wood and you can feel it is quite soft and has high dwell time. You can get a lot of spin with this along with safety. I like to play with good flex to help execute topspin loops, and this blade fits perfectly.

Overall, for a topspin player with good technique, this is pretty much a perfect blade.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Good for you! I wish I also got B2 instead of B2X but I might just tone down the speed with Hurricane 3. I felt this way about the h301, which is a lot safer than B2X version... The Fang Bo series has a nice feeling on the backhand very crisp with lots of feeling.

If you ever come up to OCTTA we can compare our blades and see what we like about it. One thing that I absolutely love is when you hit the perfect loop and the blade has the cracking sound, you know for a fact that no one is returning that shot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Haha, well I also considered getting the B2X, but I went for the B2 because I wanted FB's photograph on my blade. But I guess now I got over the initial shock of not getting it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Q: Have you heard of the honeymoon effect?

Sure, and its possible I might change my opinion over the next days or weeks, and I have the right to have a Day 1 opinion and I have the right to change my opinion as well.

But I got the V14 Pro and 75 ALC as clones of Butterfly ALC blades, which are used by many top pros. I didn't have the same reaction with first playing with those blades as I did with the FB carbon.

But at the core, there really isn't such thing as a genuinely bad blade. If you just get used to it, any blade can be really good. I like all my blades, including the Sanwei CC, TB ZLC, Ma Lin Extra Offensive

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I tried my new Fang Bo Carbon/Hurricane Bo 2 today for the first time. I had boosted H3N commercial on FH, and old Tenergy 05 on BH. Blown away by it, because it is the best blade I have ever tried. I own V14 Pro, Sanwei CC, TB ZLC, Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive, Sanwei 75 ALC. Have also played with HL5, TB ALC, ZJK ALC, Harimoto ALC, etc. Mine was 90g, but swing weight is heavier because it is head heavy.

Initially when I started hitting with it, I noticed all my drives and loops were landed precisely in the middle of the table lengthwise. The shots are the most consistent of any blade I have used, and the throw angle and arc feels perfect. Every shot feels safe as it clears the net with ease and lands perfectly into the center of the table. I never missed a shot and did that thing where you look at your racket wondering what went wrong, but if I missed it felt like it was my own fault. When I played a game, immediately I noticed that the rallies were longer than usual, because my own consistency increased quite dramatically. I played a match with a guy that I often lose to 0-3, (including many 11 to 3, 11 to 5 type games). This time, I was able to win 3-1, with most games going to deuce. I have a very topspin oriented game, and FH oriented style, and this blade is very well suited for topspin. But I also didn't think it was disadvantaged on BH either, as I felt more confident with my BH. Dima Ovtcharov said that he got the idea from Ma Long to change his blade to a inner carbon blade to gain confidence to hit hard in crucial moments of a game. This blade suits that description, you feel very confident in your topspin shots. They are consistent, and always land in the center of where you are aiming.

In regards to speed, I completely disagree with people who have said its slow or a Off- blade. Compared to my Sanwei CC, the carbon is closer to the core, so it indeed takes a little more hip turn and elbow snap to activate the carbon. The CC has carbon closer to the surface and is easier to activate and feels more elastic and is faster on most shots, but when you do hit a full stroke, the BO2 is nearly just as fast. On slow and medium shots, the blade gives incredible sense of control. IMO, this blade is definitely faster than Viscaria, and close in speed to the CC (which is very fast). I can imagine some players might struggle with this blade, if you have that kind of "chicken wing" stroke, it might be harder to activate the carbon and get enough power. This blade does ask for a good stroke with good follow through, hip turn, elbow snap.

In regards to flex, the blade has limba wood and you can feel it is quite soft and has high dwell time. You can get a lot of spin with this along with safety. I like to play with good flex to help execute topspin loops, and this blade fits perfectly.

Overall, for a topspin player with good technique, this is pretty much a perfect blade.

Interesting description - I am pleased you are enjoying it. That description could be used for my experience with the HL5x's I have too. Funnily enough, having used them for a while I am now back with a 5 ply because I found them a little fast for my current abilities.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews

Interesting description - I am pleased you are enjoying it. That description could be used for my experience with the HL5x's I have too. Funnily enough, having used them for a while I am now back with a 5 ply because I found them a little fast for my current abilities.

haha im considering on switching back to my 5 ply as well...

I think it's better to stick with the carbon, but who knows.

Reactions: Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

haha im considering on switching back to my 5 ply as well...

I think it's better to stick with the carbon, but who knows.

I miss my HL5's but without a doubt I am a more consistent player with my Violin or Acoustic along with slightly slower rubbers - originally I though I might be able to use faster rubbers on the slower blades or vice versa, but ultimately the slower rubbers and blades is proving the better option.

I will revisit again after a further 6 months or so of practice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020

Thank you for your review sir, surprised me is your opinion mentioned that Fang Bo B2 Limba surface inner carbon blade is faster than Viscaria Koto surface outer ALC blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Thank you for your review sir, surprised me is your opinion mentioned that Fang Bo B2 Limba surface inner carbon blade is faster than Viscaria Koto surface outer ALC blade.

Yes, the Koto alc blades have a more snappy/crispy feeling. The Limba blades have a softer feeling. I think on short shots, the Koto ALC blades are faster, but on longer heavier shots, the BO2 is faster.

Anyway, you have been asking about blades for a while. Which blade do you think you will get?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I got the DHS Fang Bo B2X (internal carbon, Limba top), and from this review it is a little faster than the B2. Mine came in at 91.3g, 1442 Hz, and so is a little slower than the Yinhe Pro 01 (88.8g, 1485Hz, external carbon, Koto top). I put Yinhe Moon medium on the forehand, and Moon soft on the backhand which are not as fast as say FastArc G1 or Tenergy but for my level work out well. I also varnished the blade before applying the rubbers and sanded the edges off (be careful to only sand the wood, don't sand into the PITH carbon film).
Compared to the soft carbon high control Sanwei HC-5S it has a lower arc and is definitely faster.
This blade is a lot of fun to play, good control & spin, great control for serving with spin. I am not sure yet whether the blade is too fast for me for tournaments, let's see how long the fun lasts.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020

Yes, the Koto alc blades have a more snappy/crispy feeling. The Limba blades have a softer feeling. I think on short shots, the Koto ALC blades are faster, but on longer heavier shots, the BO2 is faster.

Anyway, you have been asking about blades for a while. Which blade do you think you will get?

At this moment i got Viscaria FL handle weight 88 grams code N for my main blade, and thinking to get Fang Bo B2 or Fang Bo B2X or DHS 301X for spare blade.

This user has no status.

At this moment i got Viscaria FL handle weight 88 grams code N for my main blade, and thinking to get Fang Bo B2 or Fang Bo B2X or DHS 301X for spare blade.

Shouldnt your spare blade be kind of the same blade? I mean it is kind off a shitty situation if you have to pick your spare one and being not used to it.

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

Shouldnt your spare blade be kind of the same blade? I mean it is kind off a shitty situation if you have to pick your spare one and being not used to it.

Exactly what I do now, since now I'm pretty much set on what I want in blade, I buy two at a time, and I message the seller to let them help me pick two that's roughly the same in thickness and weight lol

Reactions: Attitude
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Well TT is different from tennis or badminton. You don't really have situation where your string breaks and you need a immediate replacement.

I would say definitely get the B2 as a spare blade to your Viscaria, because they play differently. If you want to play a more fast-attack style, then use the Viscaria. If you are in the mood to hit heavier topspin loops, then go with the B2.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
You need to be a very good and experienced player to be able to switch blades and immediately play to your max potential with it. Ok if you always alternate between same two blades it's easier but I still don't think one can give maximum that way.
Of course if the goal is fun than no problem with that.

Btw I also never understood a need for a spare blade in amateur tt. I did have "spare" blades occasionally but never out of fear of breaking my main blade. It was just to test, have fun, ej-ing...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
yes exactly, its just for fun. You will ever hardly run into a situation that you NEED the identical racket setup. It's not like tennis or badminton. I just like collecting one blade for each style, so I can know what they feel like and play a certain style if I feel like it.

And yes I agree it takes at least a week or two to start feeling confident with new blade/rubber setup to play to your potential. For the past 6 months I have never actually felt 100% confident in my racket because I keep changing the rubber/blade combo every week. But I should try to keep the same racket going forward so I can actually start focusing on improving my game.