Returned to TT. Advice on Stiga please

MOT

This user has no status.

MOT

This user has no status.
Apr 2022

Hi,

New to forum. Returned to table tennis having previously played in county leagues/intermediate level. I still have and in v good shape Stiga Hans Alser (40 years old plus) all round wood Cobra ***. My question is should I leave this with the original rubbers and enjoy it in its original state every now and then and buy another pre made to get back into playing, something like the Stiga all round or Royal 4star etc etc or strip off the original Yasaka rubbers and use the blade?

Any advice welcome.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Tipiak
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

If you leave the rubbers on, it would not really be for playing. You can. That would leave it as is. But the rubber has to be so old that it is not something you could play with.

I would actually just get a blade and some rubbers and use setup you choose rather than getting something that is already put together.

But keep the Hans Alser. It is a collector's item.

Feel free to take some photos of it to post on here for people to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: mocker88

MOT

This user has no status.

MOT

This user has no status.
Apr 2022

If you leave the rubbers on, it would not really be for playing. You can. That would leave it as is. But the rubber has to be so old that it is not something you could play with.

I would actually just get a blade and some rubbers and use setup you choose rather than getting something that is already put together.

But keep the Hans Alser. It is a collector's item.

Feel free to take some photos of it to post on here for people to see.

Thanks so much for the reply and I will take your advice to put a bat together myself and keep the Hans Alser in its original shape. (Which I still love) :).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Thanks so much for the reply and I will take your advice to put a bat together myself and keep the Hans Alser in its original shape. (Which I still love) :).

Nowadays there are so many blades and rubbers that are so much faster and bouncier than your old setup, so it's probably good to start somewhere near that combination to make the transition quite smooth.

Take a look at a normal Allround 5-ply wood blade like Stiga Allround Classic, Sanwei Fextra Allround or Yasaka Sweden Classic and perhaps rubbers in the area of 729 Focus III Snipe, Pimplepark Epos, Yasaka Rakza 7/7 Soft, 729 Presto MAX Spin or Yasaka Rigan to get a nice combination.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

The Hans Alser might be worth more with the original rubbers on. And it might be cool like that. But, it would play really nicely if you did take the rubbers off and put new rubbers of your choice on it.

If you did try to take the rubbers off at some point, proceed with extreme caution; go slowly, use solvent to help you remove the glue. If you were not extremely careful in taking the rubbers off, you could damage the top plies of the blade.

It would be worth posting the photos of the blade here. Some of the classic blade collectors on the site would be able to give you an idea of what it is worth.

Reactions: Tipiak

MOT

This user has no status.

MOT

This user has no status.
Apr 2022

Tried to add some photos but says I need 5 posts?

MOT

This user has no status.

MOT

This user has no status.
Apr 2022

Nowadays there are so many blades and rubbers that are so much faster and bouncier than your old setup, so it's probably good to start somewhere near that combination to make the transition quite smooth.

Take a look at a normal Allround 5-ply wood blade like Stiga Allround Classic, Sanwei Fextra Allround or Yasaka Sweden Classic and perhaps rubbers in the area of 729 Focus III Snipe, Pimplepark Epos, Yasaka Rakza 7/7 Soft, 729 Presto MAX Spin or Yasaka Rigan to get a nice combination.

Thanks for this. The Stiga Allround sounds a good option as I am familiar with it. For rubbers are your suggestions suitable for FH/BH or read some reviews etc and mix them up?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews

Thanks for this. The Stiga Allround sounds a good option as I am familiar with it. For rubbers are your suggestions suitable for FH/BH or read some reviews etc and mix them up?

Check out https://revspin.net/ There's a lot of good info on blades and rubbers, and of course some bad ones as well :)

MOT

This user has no status.

MOT

This user has no status.
Apr 2022

Nittaku Factive might really be a suitable rubber for you,too.
Some say its the new version of the Mark V,yasaka Rigan,etc are mentioned before.
GL and be really carefull if you put other rubbers on the Hans Alser,the glue they used back then is more concrete than a glue :)

Thanks for the advice and yes I would not want to damage the Hans Alser having owned it from new :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hi MOT, welcome back to the TT game. I have a similar premade setup to yours and I understand why you dont want to ruin your beloved first bat.
I suggest you try to get a modern Alser and smack some new gen rubbers to start with.
https://www.ttex.se/alser-allround-5.html

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

MOT

This user has no status.

MOT

This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Hi MOT, welcome back to the TT game. I have a similar premade setup to yours and I understand why you dont want to ruin your beloved first bat.
I suggest you try to get a modern Alser and smack some new gen rubbers to start with.
https://www.ttex.se/alser-allround-5.html

Hi, Thanks again and I have ordered one and will pair it up with Rakza 7.

Reactions: Giangt

MOT

This user has no status.

MOT

This user has no status.
Apr 2022

Thanks and I have gone for the Rakza 7 and a Hans Alser 5 Stiga modern blade. Your suggestions were really helpful.

Reactions: mocker88

MOT

This user has no status.

MOT

This user has no status.
Apr 2022

Just a quick note to all the helpful replies to say thanks :). I took your various replies and put together a Stiga Alser 5 and Rakza7 blades on both sides. Used it for the first time this week and it was great (backhand especially massive improvement in speed and control). Also putting your own bat together is really satisfying. I have decided when I look to try a different set of rubbers or stick with the current combination in the future I will carefully remove the rubbers from the Stiga Cobra and use that as well and have 2 decent bats that are very Inter-changeable. There is more value in using it as well rather than sitting in a case. Thanks again to all. Really appreciate the sound advice and suggestions.