Soft spinny control rubbers

Hi, I’m a forehand dominant, Chinese brush loop forehand shakehand player. At the time of writing this, I can only punch with my backhand. I want to develop a good backhand drive, and a good backhand loop against backspin and topspin. IMO ‘good’ means spinny, because I play with spin, not speed. I’m currently using Micheal Maze Magic BTY blade (I think it’s limba ayous ayous) and Tenergy 05 on backhand, because I’m an idiot. I watched a review of a person 1000x better than me, and they said Tenergy 05 is the best backhand rubber, cause Ma Long uses it. Anyway, I want a rubber that is soft (45 degrees or less) that doesn’t loose out much on spin (or doesn’t loose out on spin) with more control, so good for learning backhand stroke.

If anyone in you club has a spinny backhand, could you ask them on what they started out using?
Highly appreciated thanks!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ma Long uses a DHS H3 rubber with a 37-degree sponge (soft) on BH. Not Tenergy 05. He did use T05 on BH in 2012 or something. He switched to the special DHS rubber at some point after the switch to the 40+ Poly ball. So, he has not used T05 in years.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
says regularly shitposting
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019
I still think technique makes more difference than the rubber.

I agree with brokenball, changing the rubber won't help much if at all, stick to t5 and work on timing and backhand form. I say this with my own backhand experience where the issue is mainly not completing the stroke correctly/fully or bad positioning/timing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Even if the rubber is relatively dead, it is possible to get pretty high spins.
If the impact is tangential then a paddle speed of 12.566 m/s will spin the ball at 100 rev/sec
This is a theoretical situation since a pure tangential impact will not have enough normal force for friction to hit the ball.
However, hitting the ball at 1:30 or about 45 degree from top will result in about 70 rev/sec and hitting the ball 60 degrees from the top or 2 o'clock will result in in the ball rotating at 50 rev/sec. And that is without any spring effect from the top sheet stretching and snapping back.

Another problem that I have is that I can get spin on the ball but if I am close to the table the trajectory is still too flat for the spin to make a difference. I need to get back from the table to really see an arc due to the spin.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. Technique always has more to do with it than equipment.

A device like the one in the following video sheds light on the kind of contact BrokenBall is talking about. Not sure you need the device if you understand the theory. But having a way of practicing getting that tangential contact is worthwhile.
For a long time I used to use Self Hitting, to teach myself tangential contact. In the video that follows I am not emphasizing spinning the ball. I am spinning the ball pretty heavy. But I am not emphasizing it as I would with slow spinny loops to develop that touch. It was easy for my FH to learn that contact. My BH needed a little more practice to get it.

Reactions: Takkyu_ga_suki
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I guess I should make self hitting videos with BH and FH showing slow spinny loops with thin brushing (tangential) contact. It is really a great way to get yourself to learn the contact for spinning the ball.

@FinnAinar: if you are only punching with BH, it would be worth practicing shadow strokes and to practice self hitting where you try to make thin contact and spin the ball. Equipment won't cause you to contact the ball differently if your comfort zone is punching the ball.

You need to do a few things to develop the skills for making the stroke and the correct contact to spin the ball.

Punching is mechanically easier and safer. The racket lines up in the path of the ball and moves forward into the ball. So it is easier to make contact. For an actual stroke instead of a punch, you need to track and intercept the ball. The stroke is curved and the trajectory of the ball is curved. The only place where the path of the racket and the path of the ball intercepts is at the point of contact. Add to that touching only a very small part of the top edge of the ball, (1mm or less for tangential contact) and this takes much more skill.

So, you have to work on those skills. You have to find some way of working on them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

I tell people to practice against a robot and listen to the sound of the impact. You can tell by the sound if the ball is hitting through to the wood. The sound is much different when truly brushing. You don't here the sound of the wood. Once you are successful at brushing then step back. This is important because the timing changes and this is also where the effect of the brushing, the arc, shows up. When close to the table the brushing just seems to make the opponents return go high so the next ball is easy to kill. The problem is the timing of brushing the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
Lots of good advice, but it will work better with rubber like R7. T05 punishes small timing mistakes. Not what you want when learning backhand.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Lots of good advice, but it will work better with rubber like R7. T05 punishes small timing mistakes. Not what you want when learning backhand.

This is true. I would even say Vega Europe which is a little less spin sensitive and a little easier to control. But either would be fine.

Still, the central point is that the issue is not equipment. Punches won't turn into a loop stroke by changing equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Evil
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi, I’m a forehand dominant, Chinese brush loop forehand shakehand player. At the time of writing this, I can only punch with my backhand. I want to develop a good backhand drive, and a good backhand loop against backspin and topspin. IMO ‘good’ means spinny, because I play with spin, not speed. I’m currently using Micheal Maze Magic BTY blade (I think it’s limba ayous ayous) and Tenergy 05 on backhand, because I’m an idiot. I watched a review of a person 1000x better than me, and they said Tenergy 05 is the best backhand rubber, cause Ma Long uses it. Anyway, I want a rubber that is soft (45 degrees or less) that doesn’t loose out much on spin (or doesn’t loose out on spin) with more control, so good for learning backhand stroke.

If anyone in you club has a spinny backhand, could you ask them on what they started out using?
Highly appreciated thanks!
BTW: Any chance you can post some footage so people can see how you play?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

This video is about two years old now. It was taken before the virus lock downs.
https://deltamotion.com/peter/TableTennis/playing c-pen.mp4
I am playing with Rakza 7 Max on my FH. You can see the Rakza 7 soft max on my FH loops well.
My BH has a rubber I glued together. It is made of a cheap HRS 1.8mm sponge and a LKT Pro XP top sheet I got from zeropong. I don't like thick BH rubbers but that is just my preference. I glued the top sheet and sponge together together. You can see get a few good BH loops where I hit the ball from below the top of the net. Most of my BH shots from above the net so no big deal. One big difference between my BH and FH is that when I hit with my BH the impact occurs in front of me rather than the side like my FH. The extra 2 ft the ball travels between a FH and BH impact makes a difference. I don't normally play c-pen. I made this video in support of the "who plays c-pen" thread because I think playing c-pen style is natural even though I got a little screwed up from time to time. You can see I had trouble at first hitting down the line to my right hand corner.

You can see that the Rakza 7 Max soft loops well. I think Rakza 7 Max is too thick for the BH. That is just my preference.
My BH works well because I use my wrist a little to increase the tangential speed of impact with the ball.
The blade is a Yasaka Extra Offensive ( YEO ) that I bought second hand for $45 from Tommy Zai on the MYTT forum.

I placed the camera at just above table height so it is easy to see the arcs of the loops and where I make contact with the ball relative the the height of the table. I was not serving to win points. I was playing for the exercise. I have no real technique when I am playing c-pen. I just think playing c-pen is natural. However, I must think about each shot since I only play c-pen when I get bored with playing shake hands..

I have done the math. I know what is required to spin the ball. My only problem is execution.
My point is that one doesn't need fancy equipment. Technique rules.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Rakza 7 Suave 2.0mm
bola rota;366642

Este video ya tiene como dos años. Fue tomada antes de que el virus se bloqueara.
https://deltamotion.com/peter/TableTennis/playing%20c-pen.mp4
Estoy jugando con Rakza 7 Max en mi FH. Puedes ver bien el Rakza 7 soft max en mis bucles FH.
Mi BH tiene una goma que pegué. Está hecho de una esponja barata HRS de 1,8 mm y una lámina superior LKT Pro XP que obtuve de zeropong. No me gustan las gomas BH gruesas, pero esa es solo mi preferencia. Pegué la hoja superior y la esponja juntas. Puedes ver algunos buenos bucles de BH donde golpeo la pelota desde debajo de la parte superior de la red. La mayoría de mis tiros de BH están por encima de la red, así que no es gran cosa. Una gran diferencia entre mi BH y FH es que cuando golpeo con mi BH, el impacto ocurre frente a mí en lugar de al costado como mi FH. Los 2 pies adicionales que recorre la pelota entre un impacto FH y BH marcan la diferencia. Normalmente no juego c-pen. Hice este video para apoyar el hilo "quién juega c-pen" porque creo que jugar al estilo c-pen es natural, aunque de vez en cuando me equivoco un poco.

Puede ver que el Rakza 7 Max hace bucles suaves bien. Creo que Rakza 7 Max es demasiado grueso para el BH. Esa es solo mi preferencia.
Mi BH funciona bien porque uso un poco la muñeca para aumentar la velocidad tangencial del impacto con la pelota.
La hoja es una Yasaka Extra Offensive (YEO) que compré de segunda mano por $45 de Tommy Zai en el foro MYTT.

Coloqué la cámara justo por encima de la altura de la mesa para que sea fácil ver los arcos de los bucles y dónde hago contacto con la pelota en relación con la altura de la mesa. No estaba sirviendo para ganar puntos. Estaba jugando para el ejercicio. No tengo una técnica real cuando juego c-pen. Creo que jugar c-pen es natural. Sin embargo, debo pensar en cada tiro ya que solo juego c-pen cuando me aburro de jugar a dar la mano.

He hecho los cálculos. Sé lo que se requiere para hacer girar la pelota. Mi único problema es la ejecución.
Mi punto es que uno no necesita un equipo sofisticado. Reglas de la técnica.