Blade sealing/varnishing question

I use Joola Varnish as well, and I notice the grains lifting up on my blades too, though not as bad. I usually sand it down a bit with 1500 grit sandpaper wrapped on something that's flat. But now I think I'll follow @hipnotic's advice and use 180+240 in the future.

When you used the Joola Varnish, did you spread it over the entire blade face to become wet (Like how this guy did in his thumbnail)? Or did you just dip the brush in once or twice and just spread it over the blade face?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

When you used the Joola Varnish, did you spread it over the entire blade face to become wet (Like how this guy did in his thumbnail)? Or did you just dip the brush in once or twice and just spread it over the blade face?

Neither, I put a few drops on a piece of sponge, the same for spreading water based glue, then spread it on the blade. Sometimes I also just put the drops on the blade then spread it like it's glue. I use sponges because it absorbs the excess varnish, but not too much like paper towels.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
It's called raising the grain and it's a common wood working practice, not just in blade building. If this were done before, he could have applied any kind of finishing without any problems. The point is that, those fibers that were raised, were already loose, so you really want to get rid of them. In this specific case, if he had used a poly finish he wouldn't have had any raised fibers, but the first time he used a water based glue they would all come attached to the rubber, or worse. Unless he used a considerable amount of sealer, but in that case he would have changed the properties of the blade. People really overestimate the amount of effort it takes to sand through a top ply...

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I've purchased about 8 or 9 different blades in the last 6 months or so (various brand and top ply materials) and have sealed every one of them with Minwax polyurethane. Almost every single one of them have had their rubbers removed and different ones applied on several occasions as I like to test out different blade/rubber combos. All this while only using WBG. Not only have I never had to sand any of them after sealing them, I've never had any of them splinter when removing the rubbers. Every single one of my blades still look brand new and have never seen sandpaper. One or two very thin layers of polyurethane while immediately wiping away any excess with a paper towel. Zero sandpaper needed. Playability has been affected 0%.
You guys can stick with your water based varnishes if you feel the need. Just don't forget to visit the sandpaper aisle when you buy your next can!

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

I've purchased about 8 or 9 different blades in the last 6 months or so (various brand and top ply materials) and have sealed every one of them with Minwax polyurethane. Almost every single one of them have had their rubbers removed and different ones applied on several occasions as I like to test out different blade/rubber combos. All this while only using WBG. Not only have I never had to sand any of them after sealing them, I've never had any of them splinter when removing the rubbers. Every single one of my blades still look brand new and have never seen sandpaper. One or two very thin layers of polyurethane while immediately wiping away any excess with a paper towel. Zero sandpaper needed. Playability has been affected 0%.
You guys can stick with your water based varnishes if you feel the need. Just don't forget to visit the sandpaper aisle when you buy your next can!

fair enough.
But this is not a post and discussion about glues and varnishes and their chemical components, this is about a single incident where things have gone wrong. And i think it is a matter of the kind of wood that is being used.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

What you failed to realize was that I was talking about this specific case, and how this top layer reacted to being exposed to water, the sealer is irrelevant.

Congrats on your 8 or 9 blades, I have made and sealed over 450 blades.

says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
Jan 2013
The DHS 301 blade has a very porous outer ply, so water (from the sealer) soaks in more easily compared to most other blades.

I've not used the Joola sealer before though. I often use the sealer from Donic/Tibhar/Xiom, which are all the same and have the little sponge on the top of the bottle. I think using a sponge as the applicator (compared to brush) puts a lot less sealer (and thus water) onto the surface, so the fibres don't raise so much.

If I get raised fibres on a blade after sealing using this sealer, a quick few wipes with 300grit paper removes it very easily and quickly, producing a perfectly smooth surface.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
My preference is spray lacquer. I prefer Deft satin but Watco or Minwax satin/matte also works. I use a sponge for the edges and only 1-3 very light coats on the face. Sanding sealers are also good.

Also, something I didn't know until recently is there are different sandpaper grit grading systems around the world. CAMI (N America) and FEPA (Europe) are the two most common.

TrueGrits10%20jpg.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DukeGaGa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
My preference is spray lacquer. I prefer Deft satin but Watco or Minwax satin/matte also works. I use a sponge for the edges and only 1-3 very light coats on the face. Sanding sealers are also good.

Also, something I didn't know until recently is there are different sandpaper grit grading systems around the world. CAMI (N America) and FEPA (Europe) are the two most common.

Nice chart, looks like the sandpaper I bought were all FEPA standard since they all got the P in front of the number, but they're dirt cheap on amazon and works pretty well, so I can't complain.

Reactions: Way Zooted
This user has no status.
About varnishing…
I see my equipment retailer use water based varnish(DHS specifically), but they brush it on the blade lightly with the original brush, but immediately wipe most of it off with a paper towel. The amount that soaks into the wood is enough to seal the blade, and need no sanding.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
About varnishing…
I see my equipment retailer use water based varnish(DHS specifically), but they brush it on the blade lightly with the original brush, but immediately wipe most of it off with a paper towel. The amount that soaks into the wood is enough to seal the blade, and need no sanding.

Yeah, I don’t sand after sealing the surface either, I only polish the edge after sealing to make sure the edge tape don’t pull off splinters. I don’t wipe with paper towel however since I use a foam brush to apply the varnish, and the layer is so thin it’s already dry on the first side when I finish applying it on the other side lol

Reactions: PingBirdPong