Does your FH rubber wear out faster than BH rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Do you have this annoying issue where your FH rubber wears out faster than your BH rubber? Then you feel the need to change your FH rubber but the BH side still doesn't need a change.

Does anybody else feel really annoyed by this and how do you deal with this problem?

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
If you are doing a lot of FH focused training, and also hitting harder on FH than BH, then the FH rubber will wear faster than BH. its just one of those things!!!
if the rubbers are used equally, then you would expect the wear to to be similar, obviously some rubbers are more durable than others as well.

I just tend to change both rubbers at the same time. regardless of wear and tear. (unless damaged badly) if I am able to stick with the same rubbers for any length of time that is!!!! (EJ virus)!!!! every 3 -4 months approximately, but obviously for those that have more table time, then they may change a lot more often.
+

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Do you have this annoying issue where your FH rubber wears out faster than your BH rubber? Then you feel the need to change your FH rubber but the BH side still doesn't need a change.

Does anybody else feel really annoyed by this and how do you deal with this problem?

Personally, I use forehand more than backhand. Naturally it wears more on forehand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Doesn't it annoy you to change your rubber when the BH rubber is still in good condition while the FH is worn out?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews

That's true for almost 90% of the players, as the vast majority are forehand dominant.
Personally I always change them as a pair, although my BH rubber doesn't need change as often as my FH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Doesn't it annoy you to change your rubber when the BH rubber is still in good condition while the FH is worn out?

For sure. My backhand rubber on the 4 blades that I have owned, I have never changed my backhand rubber. And my first blade that I bought was four years ago.

Only recently have I been training my backhand more and the quality along the edges are starting to wear off, losing a little bit of quality cosmetically... performance wise it's practically a month old.

This user has no status.
The issue for me is the other way around. While my forehand is more likely to adapt to changing characteristics of a rubber, my backhand wont do it so easily.
so while i hit more shots with my fh i still have to change my bh slightly earlier. This usually results in changing both in nearly the same time.

This user has no status.
yes, i use Tenergy80 (red) on FH and Dignics80 (black) on BHil play 3-4 times a week, and T80 starts to wear after 2months. the rubber becomes translucid, i can start to see the pimples in, and the rubber loses a lot of its grip. Personally its for serve thats its the most annoying for me.

However D80 still feels almost new at the time, i'd say its after 3months thats its start to lose its grip, and here and there, there are spots where the rubber feels a bit smooth.

So i tend to change my rubbers together after about two months and a half.I re-sell them for cheap to one of my teammates who doesn't mind (how can he play with it ??? esp the T80 ????). that gives me a small discount to get the next set.

btw this guy is quite better than me ! so being good at TT has little to do with your racket...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I see no point in changing both rubbers at a time and replace only the one that wore out.

One, its easier to keep track of your rubber of you think of them in sets of 2.

Also, if you just replace your FH rubber, your new FH rubber will be new, and your BH will be old. So somehow the racket feels unbalanced.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019

One, its easier to keep track of your rubber of you think of them in sets of 2.

Also, if you just replace your FH rubber, your new FH rubber will be new, and your BH will be old. So somehow the racket feels unbalanced.

I don't understand what you mean about rubber tracking.

My FH and BH rubbers are different model, hardness, feel so even when both are new racket is already unbalanced. Also my FH vs my BH strokes are completely different and don't compare.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I mean, its hard to remember all the rubber that you own and how much life is left on each rubber. If you think of your rubbers in pairs of 2, then you can more easily remember what sets of rubber you have, and how much life is left on each set.

When I say unbalanced, I mean the wear is unbalanced. I also use tacky rubber on FH and grippy rubber on BH. When both are new, they are "in balance" for me. But if one is new and one is old, then it feels unbalanced to me.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi