Has anyone tried Donic Baracuda or Baracuda Big Slam?

Hi, I’m developing my Backhand right now, and some people on the internet recommend me Baracuda series. Does anyone have any experience with these, and if you do, could you compare it to any other rubbers? I would preferably like a comparison between Baracuda series and a well-known rubber, so that I can try someone’s rubber in the club and see how the comparison stacks up. Much appreciated! 🙏

Donic Baracuda
Pros: Very spinny, high arc, good for lifting underspin, value for money
Cons: Not very good for blocking, relatively slow, spin sensitive, not ideal for close to net or receiving.
Thanks! Could you also mabye compare it to any other rubbers?

I see that you’re using Vega Pro, can you make a comparison between these?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Thanks! Could you also mabye compare it to any other rubbers?

I see that you’re using Vega Pro, can you make a comparison between these?

Softer than Vega Pro, higher arc, spinnier but very inferior to blocking and close to the net. Also considerably slower than Vega Pro.
Baracuda is a good choice to develop your BH, but it's not very forgiving for receiving and not a good choice if you you are a blocker. These are the two main disadvantages.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Almost everyone who played a longish time has tried these two rubbers. They have been around for a while and were quite popular. Big Slam was much too soft, plain baracuda was quite nice.

Here is a quote from zeio with some comparable rubbers. You may have already tried one of them, or can find a clubmate who uses.

"The year was late 2009. Andro Hexer, Donic Baracuda and Tibhar Genius were among the 1st wave, closely followed by Joola Xplode, Nittaku Fastarc G1, Xiom Vega Pro, Yasaka Rakza 7 and others. They are easy to spot. Simply look for the porous sponge, which is an imitation of Tenergy spring sponge."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Rubbers do not have an arc, balls do. Balls hit with Dignics will not have an arc when flat hit except for that caused by gravity.
The arc depends mostly on how you contact the ball.

Baracuda is fast enough unless you are a wimp.
I currently have 2mm Baracuda mounted on the FH and BH of one of my old Samsonov Alpha blades.
Baracuda is not that fast but if you play within 2 meters of the table, it is fast enough.
Because Baracuda is not that fast it does block well. It is harder for the opponent to simply slam the ball at the paddle in hopes that it bounces long.

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Hi, I’m developing my Backhand right now, and some people on the internet recommend me Baracuda series. Does anyone have any experience with these, and if you do, could you compare it to any other rubbers? I would preferably like a comparison between Baracuda series and a well-known rubber, so that I can try someone’s rubber in the club and see how the comparison stacks up. Much appreciated! 🙏
Donic Baracuda is amongst the first gen tensor European rubber that the companies try to mimic the speed glue effect without using speed glue.

It has moderate speed with vicious amount of spin. If spin play is your forte or your winning strategy, then go ahead. Although the consensus amongst many internet forum is that Baracuda is a good BH rubber, personally I preferred to use it on my FH. It somehow gel better when used as FH rubber. I used it on my Tibhar Stratus Powerwood ( Off- rating five ply all-wood blade ). I liked that setting. It was good when I was still developing my FH topspin stroke. It gave me that forgiveness and good safety margin to land the ball over at the other side of the table. At that time, speed wasn't my concern as much as landing the ball safely on the other side of the table. Also, a little tad slower ball, gives beginners a better chance to react, prepare and anticipate the incoming ball.

As for BH, I do prefer the Xiom Vega Europe. Somehow, Baracuda seems to be slippery on my BH for some reason and I could not get that spinny loop compared to Xiom. It could be one of those unexplained phenomenon that is peculiar to me, perhaps.