Non-shrinking ESN rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
My 1 year G1 has not shrunk at all, first cut spring 2021.
Gewo El Pro 48 shrunk a lot.
Vega X did not shrink at all, still fits the same blade perfectly.
Joola GT PS did shrink a bit, but not very much maybe 0.5-1mm in width and height.
Vega EU and Japan also did not shrink

Reactions: Zwill
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
So far it seems like hybrids and older gen ESN rubbers don't shirink at all or not that much. I think the "original" Vega series, Fastarc G-1, Rakza 7 are all pretty close to 10 or even more years old.

I think the older style rubbers have superior topsheet. These new thin rubber ultramax sponge sheets are a bit weird, like they have inferior topsheet strength.
Maybe they have better static grip when new. They seem to have some coating on them which lasts for a week or two.
I heard a few players complain about the Gewo Nexxus sheets, I've seen and they said that in some cases when they would need to sheet to bite the ball just slipped off and during a push the sheet did bite and the ball just kicked away.

Maybe it's not an accident that quite a lot of pros still use Fastarc, Evolution or V15 Extra and not the newest gen sheets.

Reactions: ttarc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
So far it seems like hybrids and older gen ESN rubbers don't shirink at all or not that much. I think the "original" Vega series, Fastarc G-1, Rakza 7 are all pretty close to 10 or even more years old.

I think the older style rubbers have superior topsheet. These new thin rubber ultramax sponge sheets are a bit weird, like they have inferior topsheet strength.
Maybe they have better static grip when new. They seem to have some coating on them which lasts for a week or two.
I heard a few players complain about the Gewo Nexxus sheets, I've seen and they said that in some cases when they would need to sheet to bite the ball just slipped off and during a push the sheet did bite and the ball just kicked away.

Maybe it's not an accident that quite a lot of pros still use Fastarc, Evolution or V15 Extra and not the newest gen sheets.

A lot of people want to use Fastarc because those.. just.. won't... die...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Fastarc G-1 sounds like a really good one. So far I enjoy the V>15 extra on both sides but next time maybe I will request a black V15 and a red G-1 from my club. The blue V15 is like 3g heavier than the black after cutting them, probably it's a bit harder so I use the blue one on FH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
I used to have old gen rubbers like Mark V, Sriver, Vario or JO Waldner that were shrinking a lot after being unused and left in their cardboard package for some months, without using speed glue ! that's the way it is for ANY sponge: as long as there are bubbles, there's air, and that air evaporates whatsoever.

Take for example any football, soccer, volleyball, handball or basketball ... ball: if you left them in a place being unused for some time, they will loose their air and deflate, say: shrink. It's not a matter of factory tuning: there's less air bubbles in chinese sponges like the H3, or those bubbles are tinier and that's why why those sponges have more density, that's why without boosting them they'll never shrink, and that's why when you boost them them they take way more time to shrink because of the sponge's stronger density.

It's not rocket science. It's not about factory tuning. That's the way it is with air: it evaporates due to climatic fluctuations, the air pressure does vary depending temperature and moisture, simple as that. Thaty's also why a rubber won't react the same because of the temperature and moisture fluctuations depending on the sport venue, the time of the year (summer and winter are dry seasons), the location (more moisture and higher temperature in south asia for example, more dry and cold in central europe,etc...), and so on.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
I will delete my comment later, my new black G1 had shining topsheet, and I put the rubber on the shelf because the topsheet take some stains or blur, from every play , I didn't catch the ball very good and after 3 weeks right now it is more grippy, less shining, it has dull feeling and more harder touch than it was first time.
It was 158-152, right now is 156-150
but yeah I will delete comment later, because admin from TTD haunts me

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I clearly noticed that if I glue any rubber without stretching it doesn't shrink(including Chinese and Japanese which also shrink). Unfortunately for me I like them stretched, except maybe D05

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Add K1 to the list... shrinks damn little.

I had to scour the earth to find a small stash of K1 for our pal Sergey Scoobie Doo... located 20 sheets, so he is stocked for the next 7 years.

I still do not know why he would want to use K1... damned difficult to spin the ball, it is almost like anti-rubber and close to almost as slow. Maybe he likes working 10x as hard to do the same things... yup, do not know why he sticks with the damned thing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I am confused - Fastarc G1 has been a problem shrinking considerably for me (red 2.0mm, not stretched when fitted).
I now cut it several mm oversize for the first fitting, play it for several sessions, then peel, re-glue then trim properly
which solves the problem.
The worst ones for shrinkage I have used are Joola Rhyzer 43 and Gewo Nanoflex FT48.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Somewhere in California, Sergey Scoobie Doo is still ROFLMAO over the backwards things I said about K1... He could use that rubber playing 4x a week for a year before he would even THINK of replacing it. He can spin the ball so damned easy with an older sheet of K1 you would wonder why players like to buy new rubbers every month or three.

Anyone who hates on MX-P after it gets 2-3 weeks and loses the tuner can mail a pail of the stuff to California... Sergey will pay for the shipping.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I called Sergey today..... and TODAY, even TODAY he is still laughing hiz azz off over how concerned people are about equipment, instead of the more real things that contribute to the output of a shot, like being in position, controlling the strike zone, or control of touch to name only a slight few... but do not worry, Sergey know a LOT about H3, he even knows things you do not know yet about H3... if you could only convince him to publicly speak here on the forum.

• Haha
Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I called Sergey today..... and TODAY, even TODAY he is still laughing hiz azz off over how concerned people are about equipment, instead of the more real things that contribute to the output of a shot, like being in position, controlling the strike zone, or control of touch to name only a slight few... but do not worry, Sergey know a LOT about H3, he even knows things you do not know yet about H3... if you could only convince him to publicly speak here on the forum.

you have no clue do you?

these super 300-500 dollar blades with 100 dollar rubbers can make you hit the ball crisply even if you are a tables distance away from the ball.
its harry potter stuff I tell you.

I've only ever heard of these tales, too poor to buy fancy equipment

• Haha
Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
I am confused - Fastarc G1 has been a problem shrinking considerably for me (red 2.0mm, not stretched when fitted).
I now cut it several mm oversize for the first fitting, play it for several sessions, then peel, re-glue then trim properly
which solves the problem.
The worst ones for shrinkage I have used are Joola Rhyzer 43 and Gewo Nanoflex FT48.

Yep. Also confused about what I'm reading here. Any high tension rubber will shrink if you glue it on and subsequently remove it. I always cut my rubber sheets slightly large to avoid this problem. G-1 will absolutely shrink if you peel it off (mine just did this).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Do all ESN rubbers shrink? What causes this shrinking?

I have a sheet of Friendship Presto Max Speed, which is not even a ESN rubber. But to my surprise, it seems to have shrunk quite a lot after taking it off the blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
The sponge is an ESN/Jap type on that rubber, kind of chinese version of an ESN/Jap rubber, not the "typical" chinese sticky rubber so. And Yes all ESN/Jap rubbers shrink, some less than other, but the explanation is quite obvious: larger air cells in the sponge that will deflate after some time, being factory boosted or not does not matter in that case: the old 70's to 90's Euro/jap rubbers like Mark V and all its versions (GPS, HPS, 30°), Vario (or Vario soft), Donic JO Waldner used to also . Harder hybrid ESN/Jap sponges deflate/shrink less because the air cells are way more tiny.

Chinese sticky ones does not shrink because there's tinier air cells in those über harder sponges. If you want catapult, you need air.