Stuor blades- who has tried them?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I was curious, so I just ordered one of the Lemuria clone blades (outer zlc) earlier today. I think it takes 3 weeks to arrive, but I'll let you know how they are. Maybe you should get a Stuor and let me know how it is.

Reactions: ricospin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
On revspin, under no-brand blades, there are a couple guys who are obsessed with buying all these Lemuria and Stuor blades and comparing them to the real ones. Generally the reviews are positive by that one fellow on Revspin, but he also seems to be a quite colorful character, so I don't know how accurate his review is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Also if you bug the sellers a little bit, they might send you photos of the fibre's they use in the blade. I previously posted photos of zlc and alc they supposedly use.

Also the seller measured the weight and thickness for me. The weight is 90g and thickness is 5.8mm, so that sounds good (i hate really thick blades).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
On revspin, under no-brand blades, there are a couple guys who are obsessed with buying all these Lemuria and Stuor blades and comparing them to the real ones. Generally the reviews are positive by that one fellow on Revspin, but he also seems to be a quite colorful character, so I don't know how accurate his review is.
Revapin I somewhat don’t trust to be honest. I feel like it’s not a good source of info.

maybe in the future I will buy a LYJ szlc clone. Although iirc, hipnotic says that szlc is very expensive, so I’m curious as to how they differ.

I probably won’t be buying on anything from Ali any time soon. I’m on my journey to find a good all wood blade that I like.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Revspin is very hit or miss. Some reviewers are very sensible and can provide helpful information though.

The Ali seller told me that S-ZLC material is imported from Japan. They call it "gold" zlc. It's different from the regular ZLC material that they source from China. They told me the LYJ uses the gold zlc, so it costs more. the ZJK (which is the one i ordered) uses regular-zlc and is cheaper.

I think the gold ZLC is stiffer and faster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
There's a bit in Larry Hodge's book (TT Tactics for Thinkers) where he claims that he could beat nearly anyone rated U2000 with just a clip board.

Food for thought for all the equipment fetishists out there? 😋

I dont see what that has to do with anything.

Timo Boll could beat most guys on ttd with his off hand. Is that food for thought to you? Should you stop playing with your dominant hand?

DIma could beat anybody outside top 100 with his penhold grip, so does that mean you should stop playing your normal grip? Food for thought for you?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
There's a bit in Larry Hodge's book (TT Tactics for Thinkers) where he claims that he could beat nearly anyone rated U2000 with just a clip board.

Food for thought for all the equipment fetishists out there? 😋

Maybe not fetish, but a curiosity.

Heming Hu argues equipment matters. I’m just curious about things.

I would be eager to watch clipboard v U2000.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Maybe not fetish, but a curiosity.

Heming Hu argues equipment matters. I’m just curious about things.

I would be eager to watch clipboard v U2000.

I've seen 1400-1600 level players (USATT rating) beaten buy a guy using a shoe, a little miniature racket, a block of wood and a cell phone. :)

I don't think it is a fetish for you. I agree with you on that. But....for some that word may actually be fitting. :)

But the truth is, if you enjoy exploring new equipment, there is nothing wrong with that. Some people may take it a bit too far. But, still, as long as you are having fun and not messing with your actual ability to afford more important things, it is fine. And as long as you don't think the equipment will be a replacement for training, learning to read spin, and doing the things you actually would need to do if you would like to improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: jammmail and lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews

I've seen 1400-1600 level players (USATT rating) beaten buy a guy using a shoe, a little miniature racket, a block of wood and a cell phone. :)

I don't think it is a fetish for you. I agree with you on that. But....for some that word may actually be fitting. :)

But the truth is, if you enjoy exploring new equipment, there is nothing wrong with that. Some people may take it a bit too far. But, still, as long as you are having fun and not messing with your actual ability to afford more important things, it is fine. And as long as you don't think the equipment will be a replacement for training, learning to read spin, and doing the things you actually would need to do if you would like to improve.

Very interesting. It makes me curious since I live in California and people say that ranking is tougher here instead of elsewhere if that would yield the same results... or maybe my club is just too filled with good people, or I'm not good enough.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Very interesting. It makes me curious since I live in California and people say that ranking is tougher here instead of elsewhere if that would yield the same results... or maybe my club is just too filled with good people, or I'm not good enough.

The person I have heard say ranking is tougher in CA is Der_Echte and when he lived in the DC area he said it was tougher there and when he was in the Boston area, he said it was tougher there. :)

It is a system that works. If you play enough matches you get the rating you should have. Often where rating is off is with kids who were the level of there rating a when they last played, but they are getting better so fast that the rating can't keep up with their progress till they hit 2200-2300 and stall for a little while.

But the guys I saw beat 1400-1600 level players with strange objects.....I forgot to mention large lollipop, frying pan, a rock and the flat wooden part of a stool.....they are 2300-2700 depending on which player we are talking about. So, they probably could beat some 1700-1800 players that way too.

But the point SofaChamp was making that I think is important is, higher level play means dealing with and reading higher amounts of spin and increased levels of deception on serves. The equipment does not read the spin or the play in front of you. You need to do the work to improve those skills.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Reading spin is by far the hardest part of playing TT.

I know a guy who can't loop at all, but has a wicked nasty serve from penhold. Last time I played I missed 70-80% of his serves. I think also after you miss a few returns, it makes you doubt yourself then you play even worse returns.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Watching your opponent is also part of those higher level skills.

So.....people at a certain level get hung up on playing around with equipment and trying new equipment. It is fun. But the things that help you improve are really the things that get you working on those skills of reading the play in front of you, reading the opponent, reading the spin on the ball, how it arcs, how it kicks.

And a lot of how you work on this is training the random element and doing game skill training exercises. And then playing matches.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
There was a little seller coupon so I couldnt resist making use of it.

I got one outer zlc Lemuria blade and one inner zlc Stuor blade.

Theyre designed to look like ZJK blade and Harimoto blade. I dont think they are perfect clones though, and i dont expect them to be same in feeling. I just hope they emulate some of the properties, namely speed for zjk and spin/control for harimoto. The inner zlc is 6.0mm thick, whereas the Butterfly Harimoto sZLC is 6.2mm. but i prefer thinner blades anyways, so lets see how it is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
There was a little seller coupon so I couldnt resist making use of it.

I got one outer zlc Lemuria blade and one inner zlc Stuor blade.

Theyre designed to look like ZJK blade and Harimoto blade. I dont think they are perfect clones though, and i dont expect them to be same in feeling. I just hope they emulate some of the properties, namely speed for zjk and spin/control for harimoto. The inner zlc is 6.0mm thick, whereas the Butterfly Harimoto sZLC is 6.2mm. but i prefer thinner blades anyways, so lets see how it is.

I have had 2 of those blades. I ended up selling them eventually. They are decent, but you have to give them time to play them in. I don't know why that happened, but after I played 2-3 months with them their properties improved much. Maybe wood have dried or something :| Other clubmates have had similar observations despite not having played those blades in between those time periods.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
I can't compare real one and fake one but I bought HL5 replica from Aliexpress twice. 90gr.

It is enough good that I don't use my original Viscaria anymore.

At the beginning I had issue with sudden kick while looping mid-speed, and looping full power. Then I adjusted my technique. Now I am exactly where I was with Viscaria, or even better. I started to play better slow loops. Additionally, I am able to generate more spin on average. Viscaria's top end is better, but I was not able to generate topspin on fast exchanges and I was on defence whenever opponent plays or blocks quickly with Viscaria. Blocking is much easier with HL5. Passive blocks and punch blocks are helpful at my level to vary speed, though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

I have had 2 of those blades. I ended up selling them eventually. They are decent, but you have to give them time to play them in. I don't know why that happened, but after I played 2-3 months with them their properties improved much. Maybe wood have dried or something :| Other clubmates have had similar observations despite not having played those blades in between those time periods.

Which 2 blades did you have?

Did you have trouble explaining what they were when you sold them?