Fitness & conditioning for TT - advice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Best piece of equipment ever: swiss ball !!!

Now I know why FZD uses it for abs, backs and core muscles in general, maaan... just a regular plank exercise on it make your muscles immediately burn the hell out of it, just got it to day and I'm already scared of trying the FZD reverse plank.

Plus, I'm using it right now sitting on it in front of my desk, forces you to get the right posture, for less than 20 €/$/£ it's mandatory to have it in the physical training arsenal !

Hi all

I am looking for peoples thoughts on the above pls.

I am on a journey to improve my game as much as possible before the next season starts in September and want to give myself the best shot by dedicating my exercise/fitness time to some specific work.

Currently I train with weights 3/week and play 6-7h TT. Weights have been my staple for 10 years and have helped me stay strong as I have got older (54 now) but I have noticed my upper body muscle has not helped my TT and seems to have added tension to my playing. I have also noticed that my lack of mobility and spring has become evident.

I want to shift towards a more sport specific programme and thought to add;

1. Skipping / running to add fitness and agility
2. Some flexibility work

What are peoples thoughts on things such as;

1. Mirror play - no ball but repeating the movements I am looking to groove
2. Footwork exercises ands routines - could these be done in the middle of a run or skip session?
3. Does higher rep/speed focused weights still have a place once a week?

I would welcome any input from those who have seen improvement in their game from specific moves or exercises.

Thx

Peter

Hi Peter,

I feel TT is an explosive, athletic & mentally challenging sport

as such, one should train accordingly

My off-the-table regiments include lower body plyometrics, foot-work drills (agility ladders), weight training with emphasis on core, abs & lower back, hand-eye coordination exercises & admittedly lacking in mental training

https://www.google.com/search?q=juggle+three+balls&oq=juggle+three+balls+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l9.4180j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_fYfDYqOPArDWkPIPifGHkAk16

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Heavy lifting, particularly deadlifts, puts a strain on your central nervous system. As a lifelong fatty, the best thing for me at first was simply showing up on time and scaling as needed. If something feels too heavy, reduce its size. The term stimulus is frequently used in our gym. What kind of stimulus are you looking for? In your case, I'd assume you're looking to build an engine and lose some weight at first. No one should be rushing to lift heavy to keep up with the Gym Joneses. Lighter weights are often "worse" in a WOD because they make you go faster.