Hard/Flexible blades vs Soft/Stiff blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Hello forum
I am interested in knowing the different playing characteristics between structurally flexible blades with a hard top ply and structurally stiff blades with a soft top ply.

Generally, most blades are either flexible blades that are also soft in feeling or stiff blades thay are also hard in feeling (thus either purely control/spin oriented vs purely speed oriented).

How would a thin, flexible 5 ply blade with an uber hard top ply (ebony, walnut or rosewood etc) fare against a thick, stiff 7 ply blade with a much softer top ply (limba or hinoki etc), since they are more balanced in regards to speed vs control?

How do they feel different in playing topspins, short game, blocks etc and which would you say feel ‘better’ for these shots (subjectively of course).

Do different rubbers naturally suit these two blade types better would you say?

Cheers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Hello forum
I am interested in knowing the different playing characteristics between structurally flexible blades with a hard top ply and structurally stiff blades with a soft top ply.

Generally, most blades are either flexible blades that are also soft in feeling or stiff blades thay are also hard in feeling (thus either purely control/spin oriented vs purely speed oriented).

How would a thin, flexible 5 ply blade with an uber hard top ply (ebony, walnut or rosewood etc) fare against a thick, stiff 7 ply blade with a much softer top ply (limba or hinoki etc), since they are more balanced in regards to speed vs control?

How do they feel different in playing topspins, short game, blocks etc and which would you say feel ‘better’ for these shots (subjectively of course).

Do different rubbers naturally suit these two blade types better would you say?

Cheers.

welp... I think you can look at popularity between Stiga Rosewood V and Clipper... Would YEO classify as flexible and hard top?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Balsa wood blade are an exception. My Firewall+ is made of thick Balsa wood. It doesn't flex but the Balsa wood is soft.

The rubber make much more difference than the wood when it comes to spin since the wood doesn't "stretch" or deform tangentially like the rubber does.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I find myself gravitating towards stiff, faster blades with soft feeling as it is better for me with the plastic balls and age and a closer to the table play style. Flexible blades loses control when you hit it hard as the flex makes it less predictable/linear to where the ball ends up. The softness gives it a nice feeling of dwell for putting spin on the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackCat510
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Thanks very much for your various helpful answers!

The reason I ask is that the soft/stiff vs hard/flexible blade disagreement seems to be represented strongly in the penhold community:

Chinese penholders (playing WITH RPB) gravitate traditionally towards hard flexible blades — they choose 5 ply blades with uber hard top plies (walnut, rosewood etc). The trend seems to be moving gradually towards stiffer blades, as equipment rules change (Xu Xin choosing a carbon blade for example) and the RPB penholders choosing alc blades, as RPB penholders become more similar to shakehanders, style wise.

Obviously Chinese players play with Chinese rubbers.

Japanese/Korean penholders (playing WITHOUT RPB) prefer soft stiff blades — 1 ply hinoki blades — very thick and stiff, but made of uber soft hinoki wood.

Japanese penhold pros play with Tenergy.

What do you think is the reason for this opposing philosophy? Is it to do with chinese penholders using RPB or something to do with Chinese rubbers? Obviously stiffer blades are traditionally considered superior for blocking (ideal for tpb), so if this is the case then, why would Chinese players move towards stiffer blades while they move away from the tpb technique?

Last edited: