Grip vs Spin: is there a difference?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
No. We can win by swinging faster and becoming better because we are not at a level where improving in skill give you no significant advantage against your opponents. For pros, they swing hard to begin with, and use the booster to achieve over the top. For us, we swing harder or use boosters so we don’t have to swing that hard. You don’t understand the concept here.

Yes, I agree. Boosters make us better players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
But doesn’t friction NOT depend on contact area and only depend on pressure and smoothness?

NO! It depends on the material involved.
https://www.engineersedge.com/coeffients_of_friction.htm
Do you see area in these equations?
Do you see pressure in these equations?
The idea of pressure isn't completely wrong though. It would equate to friction force per square centimeter or something like that. The problem that a softer sponge will have a MUCH lower impact force for two reasons.
1. The ball that hits the softer sponge has more distance to sink into the sponge before it is stopped so the deceleration forces is weaker.
2. The ball that hits the softer sponge will have its weaker deceleration force spread over a greater area.
The problem is not linear.
The coefficient of friction is multiplied by the force at every point the ball makes contact with the rubber.
This requires some complex math to work out.

Hard rubbers will not let the ball sink into the rubber very far so the deceleration forces are greater than with soft rubbers. Also the harder rubber will not let the ball sink is as far so the contact area is less.
The impact forces might be greater but there is less area. Which would create more friction would require modeling the hard and soft rubbers.

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021

I've given up on the terminology on forums.
I just make sure my students understands what I want from them.
Have to say, Chinese has deeper meaning than English words, so sorry to the ones using English.

To further strengthen your point Tony, this internet coach term for block looks like BH topspin / drive to me. One coach may say block but in another part of the world it would be called drive. So term is truly confusing. What I would call a BH drive is called a block by another person....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019

To further strengthen your point Tony, this internet coach term for block looks like BH topspin / drive to me. One coach may say block but in another part of the world it would be called drive. So term is truly confusing. What I would call a BH drive is called a block by another person....

Most common term for this type of shot in the video in my experience is counter.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

too many terms haha. So I need to becareful not to confuse myself and confuse others.

In Chinese, active block by those Chinese players:

1) Quick bring forward (drive/counter), small action, with low arc to bring the ball forward. relies on incoming power and pushing it back out with a forward motion.

2) The kid has passive block then small counter topspin - that isn't a block to me. Its an attacking shot.

3) Then FZD's bh to bh is really just driving the ball, that is not a block too.

Mar 2021
Also to point out more inconsistencies in using term across different clubs, and this happens to me:

During the early stages of my coaching, my coach will say, "don't push, topspin the ball back to me"

To me pushing means contact the bottom of a ball and impart underspin and it is an defending response.

To him, the term push is kind of block with a little forward motion ( baby BH punch ).

To my coach, a push he calls a cut or cutting the ball. Imagine the first few lessons it was awkward as we both had to get some of the term right... LOL ha ha ha.

Also, he does not understand the word drive. He just call them topspin with forward acceleration. Of course in our native language it is not wordy.

A loop is called from bottom up topspin.

Oh the misery! We had to have few lessons just to get our term correct and house in order.

This user has no status.
Also to point out more inconsistencies in using term across different clubs, and this happens to me:

During the early stages of my coaching, my coach will say, "don't push, topspin the ball back to me"

To me pushing means contact the bottom of a ball and impart underspin and it is an defending response.

To him, the term push is kind of block with a little forward motion ( baby BH punch ).

To my coach, a push he calls a cut or cutting the ball. Imagine the first few lessons it was awkward as we both had to get some of the term right... LOL ha ha ha.

Also, he does not understand the word drive. He just call them topspin with forward acceleration. Of course in our native language it is not wordy.

Oh the misery! We had to have few lessons just to get our term correct and house in order.
We should have a standard “TT language” on this forum. Make a post and stick it on top. Should have specific words referring to every major move in TT. 😆

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

oh my goodness. I recall some people do call it cutting the ball.
I haven't heard that for 20+ years haha

• Haha
Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.

oh my goodness. I recall some people do call it cutting the ball.
I haven't heard that for 20+ years haha

In China “cutting the ball” means something like a chop block🤣🤣🤣

I can see why Chinese coaches are constantly angry with foreigners.