Blade discoloration help

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
Hello, Just removed rubbers that were sitting on this blade for 4 years. There is discoloration on the blade as you can see from the picture. Does this effect playing? Also, this was my first time removing the rubbers so I damaged the blade a bit. Any ideas on how to fix it? Also, how would you rate the overall condition of this blade? Thank you very much in advance.

I can’t see any picture, but the discoloration indicates water, probably not a big deal. When you remove the rubber you should do it from side to side. This is against the grain and will minimize the risk to tear off wood..

Cheers
L-zr

I checked you pics, that’s how blades looks like after being covered for a long time, the blade is fine just sand it lightly and fix the damage. I would look for a price wood with a similar thickness, sand to size and form and glue it in place. This will be some work but probably worth it.

Cheers
L-zr

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think you need 5 posts, go ahead and post and upload the pics. It’s better that more people sees them..

Cheers
L-zr

Yep. Lazer is correct. Go ahead and make a few posts that get to 5 and then you will be able to upload the photos.

More regarding the damage on the side:

- Use a tool to cut the damage side down to the core wood. Try not to damage the core.
- Make sure You have a sharp edge, square edges are much easier than round ones.
- Use some other wood (what kind does not matter) about the same thickness.
- Shape it to fit the hole.
- Glue it to the hole with strong glue.
- Sand it to the match the rest of the top.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022

is it normal to get damage like this when peeling your rubber? or was it because it was stuck on a paddle for around 3-4 years and it was also exposed to heat (kept in the attic)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
hey carl, i uploaded them now please check in this post
I am not sure what you are worried about. The color does not matter. The feeling while playing is what matters. Put new rubbers on and see how it plays. I also probably would not fuss with the slight damage at the edge. Maybe put some wood glue to keep it from separating. But you don't hit the ball with the edge. Use it with new rubbers and see if it still plays well.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022

also for some reason i find that the petr korbel handle is much more comfortable for me compared to the viscaria do you know why? what's the difference between these two handles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
When exposed to also moisture, not only heat, as in all those south asian countries, yeah indeed some alterations can affect blades. If you've used water based glue, it's kind of normal that this typical moisture+heat coloration happens after some years of rubbers being glued on a blade. It never happens in Europe for example, as far as I know... I've left a racket in the attic for 15 years, removed the rubbers glued on the blade for that whole period, and it was fine, maybe a lil' bit yellow-ish but not as much brown as yours.