shoes help (don't have table tennis shoes)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
hello, i just returned to playing table tennis

i was wondering if it would be better for me to wear adidas ultraboost 20s or should i wear some mizuno badminton shoes?
i know that these are not table tennis shoes but i was just wondering which would be the better choice for the time being

the mizuno shoes i have are called fang zero

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Badminton shoes.

ultraboost are kind of casual shoes, and their more performance oriented ultra boost stuff is for running.

you want shoes that can help you go lateral and are really grippy.

Volleyball shoes are to the same effect. Any indoor court shoes work.

basketball shoes I would say is too stiff feeling for tabletennis where you need to feel light and nimble.

Reactions: Choosikick

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
If you don't want to go straight into buying table tennis shoes, you just want to wear fairly light indoor court shoes. Badminton or Squash shoes should do the job very nicely and probably shoes designed for Volleyball or Handball too. In England a very common budget option is Hi-Tec Squash shoes - I wore those for a couple of years before I bought my present Mizuno Wave Drive 7s.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I've always had good luck with Kawasaki badminton shoes. We play on wood basketball floors and the added support from badminton or volleyball shoes is a significant improvement over shoes made specifically for table tennis. Also I stay away from shoes with mesh in the forefoot.

This user has no status.
I have been using Asics Gel-Beyond 6 for a couple of months now and am very happy with them. I had Gel-Rocket 10 (I think) before, but the cushioning was not good enough because I stomp very hard and my right foot was in pain because of that. Your achilles tendon might hurt though with them, but doing stretching exercises helps mitigating that. I also play Badminton so that type of shoe is better anyway for me rather than a pair of table tennis shoes.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I noticed a big difference when I changed from Badminton/Volleyball shoes to proper TT shoes. The badminton shoes were too stiff and the volleyball shoes were a little heavier and higher center of gravity than TT shoes. I move much quicker with TT shoes.

Of course depending on your playing level you may or may not be able to tell any difference.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I noticed a big difference when I changed from Badminton/Volleyball shoes to proper TT shoes. The badminton shoes were too stiff and the volleyball shoes were a little heavier and higher center of gravity than TT shoes. I move much quicker with TT shoes.

Of course depending on your playing level you may or may not be able to tell any difference.
I also got the Mizuno Wave 8 and as you say, it depends on ones level of play.
At my level of play no kinda shoes make a difference anymore but they wave 8 are such a comfy shoe that use them to go shopping.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I also got the Mizuno Wave 8 and as you say, it depends on ones level of play.
At my level of play no kinda shoes make a difference anymore but they wave 8 are such a comfy shoe that use them to go shopping.

I have a pair of Wave 9's and I think I'll be sticking with Wave drives for the future. They are inoffensive (they actually look pretty good tbh) and can be worn in many situations. I brought them to Tokyo to play TT but I was also able to use them for lifting weights (the lateral support and hard sole are good enough for squats and deadlifts) at a gym that required indoor shoes.

I recently saw the new special edition Wave Drive 0s in Tokyo in person and they are the most handsome and premium looking/feeling TT shoes I've ever come accross. Kinda regret not buying a pair now despite the expensive price. https://jpn.mizuno.com/ec/disp/item/787010/