Does booster effect ever go away completely?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I have heard booster wears off, some say 2 weeks, some say 4 weeks, some say 2 months. Does the booster effect every wear off completely?

I boosted a sheet of H3N about 6 weeks ago (playing 4 times a week), and it seems like it's still going strong. I think maybe the effect dropped to 80%, but it seems like it is permanently at that 80% level. It doesn't feel like its going lower anymore.

If I keep playing into week 10, week 12, will the booster effect ever actually go back to 0%? At the rate that its going now, it more or less seems like it will stay permanently at the 70-80% booster effect range.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
You omitted the most crucial detail. Which booster did you use and how much of it did you use.

The other crucial thing is that whether you are comparing this to another unboosted sheet that had it's 'Neo' dissappear. If you are comparing to your memory that might introduce a lot of weird psychological effects.

To answer OP, for me it usually goes back to dead after a month for Seamoon or after 2 months for Falco.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
You omitted the most crucial detail. Which booster did you use and how much of it did you use.

The other crucial thing is that whether you are comparing this to another unboosted sheet that had it's 'Neo' dissappear. If you are comparing to your memory that might introduce a lot of weird psychological effects.

To answer OP, for me it usually goes back to dead after a month for Seamoon or after 2 months for Falco.
I used Taiji booster that I got from Duke. I don't know anything about it, whether its considered stronger or weaker than Seamoon. I put 2 rather thin layers of booster on the H3, so definitely not strongly boosted, but I felt it was just enough booster to make H3N somewhat bouncy.

Yes, I'm just comparing it to my memory of H3N unboosted. For me, H3N out of the package was completely dead and very difficult to use. Now, even after 6 weeks, it is nowhere near the original dead feeling. I think its about 70-80% of the maximum booster effect immediately after boosting the rubber.

So I'm just wondering if it will ever go back to the original unboosted state. I just can't imagine it right now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I used Taiji booster that I got from Duke. I don't know anything about it, whether its considered stronger or weaker than Seamoon. I put 2 rather thin layers of booster on the H3, so definitely not strongly boosted, but I felt it was just enough booster to make H3N somewhat bouncy.

Yes, I'm just comparing it to my memory of H3N unboosted. For me, H3N out of the package was completely dead and very difficult to use. Now, even after 6 weeks, it is nowhere near the original dead feeling. I think its about 70-80% of the maximum booster effect immediately after boosting the rubber.

So I'm just wondering if it will ever go back to the original unboosted state. I just can't imagine it right now.

Have you ever used H3N for longer periods of time before boosting it? Based on my experience after 2-3 weeks of playing they become a bit more alive after a proper abuse.

Measuring the effect of boosting is not likely possible and memories and feelings are here to bullshit us.😁

That what I was getting at.

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Wait another six weeks and update the post. If your rubber is not dead by then we will all be on aliexpress searching for Taiji booster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Have you ever used H3N for longer periods of time before boosting it? Based on my experience after 2-3 weeks of playing they become a bit more alive after a proper abuse.

That what I was getting at.

Yeah after 2 weeks, H3 becomes slightly more alive, but still very slow. As of now, after 6 weeks, it is nowhere near the unboosted speed even after rubber is broken in.

I know memory is fallible, but on this occasion, i'm reasonably sure that the rubber still feels fairly boosted even after 6 weeks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
I think with regular tt booster they wear off eventually, but I don’t think that it will feel the same as unboosted- depending on the booster, that is. Pong professor classified falco plat and seamoon nat black to be hard feeling, so I would assume that you can boost for a longer time before getting too mushy since it doesn’t change the sponge hardness too much. Harder feeling is more comparable to stock hurricane- this is what I’m inferring.

When I boosted with baby oil, I think that it stays for a lot longer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I don't think booster users will measure to the state of "0".
Most players, especially going semi pro upwards want that number high up, and maybe when it drops to 90% or 80%, then to reboost.
There is no real number, i'm just using it as you talked about numbers. For actual numbers, it is the feeling of the rubber, and you will know when you need to reboost.

The same applies with "throwing" away the rubber when it has gone to a certain feeling.
No one will leave it to go to 0, it will mostly be in the 80% mark, should we use any numbers.

And yes, the life span on your booster, does need to take into account the booster, amount use, rubber type that was used on, playing hours, power of the shots etc

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Most players, especially going semi pro upwards want that number high up, and maybe when it drops to 90% or 80%, then to reboost.
There is no real number, i'm just using it as you talked about numbers. For actual numbers, it is the feeling of the rubber, and you will know when you need to reboost.

The same applies with "throwing" away the rubber when it has gone to a certain feeling.
No one will leave it to go to 0, it will mostly be in the 80% mark, should we use any numbers.

And yes, the life span on your booster, does need to take into account the booster, amount use, rubber type that was used on, playing hours, power of the shots etc

80% till new rubbers? Still fairly new haha

unless you train like ma long ofc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Get yourself four exactly the same setups. Treat three of them with booster in the same way and assemble them in the same way.

You start with one setup, and put it away. A month later you do the same to the second one, and after another month do the third setup. Compare these to the non-boosted directly and every week for a couple of months.

It could be expensive perhaps, but I think you'll get some good data out of this. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Well for me, I don't demand that the rubber be always at 100% boosted. 80% seems more than good enough for me. 0% boosted H3 was very difficult for me to use because it had very little rebound. 80% is enough for me to attack and win points offensively.

But if I never re-boost it, will it just permanently stay at this current 80% level?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

80% till new rubbers? Still fairly new haha

unless you train like ma long ofc.

Well, in many sports, 80% is old (think all those sports that rely on rubbers, ie racing)
But if you give it to amateurs, there is still plenty of life in it for another long period of time.

And it doesn't need to be ma long, but any semi pro.
to give an idea, say top 100~top200 world junior kind of level, and upwards.

the moment you get to below 80%, or even lower, then the reliability of the rubber is no longer a high percentage for those high level players.

That is why you hear of changing rubbers every month, or 2nd month, while the average Joe will only need to change every few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricospin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Well for me, I don't demand that the rubber be always at 100% boosted. 80% seems more than good enough for me. 0% boosted H3 was very difficult for me to use because it had very little rebound. 80% is enough for me to attack and win points offensively.

But if I never re-boost it, will it just permanently stay at this current 80% level?

The booster effect will eventually wear out.
so, no it won't stop at 80%

You should be able to notice it, as the effects of the rubber would become inconsistent. Ie some shots will drop into the net.
and mind you, some I know doesn't boost, but would reglue when that happens.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews

The booster effect will eventually wear out.
so, no it won't stop at 80%

You should be able to notice it, as the effects of the rubber would become inconsistent. Ie some shots will drop into the net.
and mind you, some I know doesn't boost, but would reglue when that happens.

What does regluing do? I assume to give the rubber a little bit more life… does it actually work?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I agree with Iodro. Depending on the rubber, booster and level of boosting, I think the original characteristics are gone.

My experience is a new rubber with a hard dead sponge, over time and use eventually becomes a soft dead sponge (like a pillow).

Reactions: Kuba Hajto
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

What does regluing do? I assume to give the rubber a little bit more life… does it actually work?

Glue becomes like an extra layer in your bat. old glue will loose its character and would affect the consistency of the rubber's performance.
If you want to say, give it a little bit more life, I guess that is another way of saying it, but it isn't in the sponge/top sheet, but the layer between your blade/rubber.

So, while semi pros boost every time they change their rubber, it is normal to reglue every week.
Its also common that someone will take it off after a session, because of a "bad glue job"

I think to understand this easier is, imagine you putting on a rubber while still wet.
the consistency is also bad.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
According to certain world top player you should never reglue the rubber because it will be inconsistent.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012

[size=+2]Boosting your rubber secretly is rather a disobedience against God than a mere negligence of the written Rule.
Beware of the Doomsday, please.[/size]