Help my boredom—— QnA thread

This user has no status.
Hey great people of this forum!
Recently, China is taking “conservative” measures to control the Covid wave in Beijing, and everything is locked down. I haven’t played TT in 3 weeks, and all the stores closed so no more EJing. This will probably last a few more weeks, so I’ve turned to TTD to pass the time.
I’ve created this thread to answer some questions. I would happily give the best answer to my knowledge about TT culture in China, popular equipment here, and prices and stuff. Even questions about life in China, and how competitive TT is here. I will answer to the best of my ability!
Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
That's tough - lockdown feels like a distant memory here in the UK and life feels fairly normal most of the time. I feel for you not being able to play - I look forward to my sessions so much. Do you have a table or robot you can play against at least?

I have never been to China but the culture fascinates me, in particular the level of focus on discipline that appears to go into developing skills in TT - in many ways it seems a "traditional" method based on lots of repetition and focus on basics (which was how I was taught back in the '80's here and still stands me in good stead) Those methods seem less embedded in European TT but the results seem to speak for themselves.

I hope you get back to the game soon :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Hey great people of this forum!
Recently, China is taking “conservative” measures to control the Covid wave in Beijing, and everything is locked down. I haven’t played TT in 3 weeks, and all the stores closed so no more EJing. This will probably last a few more weeks, so I’ve turned to TTD to pass the time.
I’ve created this thread to answer some questions. I would happily give the best answer to my knowledge about TT culture in China, popular equipment here, and prices and stuff. Even questions about life in China, and how competitive TT is here. I will answer to the best of my ability!
Thanks!

What kind of TT excercices kids do in China and how much time do they spend on it. How are Chinese kids taught to serve.

This user has no status.
That's tough - lockdown feels like a distant memory here in the UK and life feels fairly normal most of the time. I feel for you not being able to play - I look forward to my sessions so much. Do you have a table or robot you can play against at least?I have never been to China but the culture fascinates me, in particular the level of focus on discipline that appears to go into developing skills in TT - in many ways it seems a "traditional" method based on lots of repetition and focus on basics (which was how I was taught back in the '80's here and still stands me in good stead) Those methods seem less embedded in European TT but the results seem to speak for themselves.I hope you get back to the game soon :)
Unfortunately, I don’t have a table.The training for TT here is very systematic, and relies mostly on repetition. Repetition creates sturdy muscle memory, and ensures that the shots have great quality under all circumstances. The drawbacks to this system are also clear. It take immense amounts of time and effort, and is certainly not for late starters like me. There is also a lack or “brains” in most players trained this way. I’ve found that for me, I incorporate lots of thinking and brainstorming with plenty of trial and error( practice). I’ve been able to improve a lot in the two years I played, and I’m even able to “finesse” myself a win against some players who have trained for 6-7 years.I’m quite interested in how Europeans train. IDK if the difference in rubbers is a big influence.Hope I helped!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Unfortunately, I don’t have a table.
The training for TT here is very systematic, and relies mostly on repetition. Repetition creates sturdy muscle memory, and ensures that the shots have great quality under all circumstances. The drawbacks to this system are also clear. It take immense amounts of time and effort, and is certainly not for late starters like me. There is also a lack or “brains” in most players trained this way. I’ve found that for me, I incorporate lots of thinking and brainstorming with plenty of trail and error( practice). I’ve been able to improve a lot in the two years I played, and I’m even able to “finesse” myself a win against some player who have trained for 6-7 years.
I’m quite interested in how Europeans train. IDK if the difference in rubbers is a big influence.
Hope I helped!

In the club I play with it is a mix of multiball and single ball exercises. The youngest one start basics with multi ball queue (each kid does a single repetition of the exercise and goes to the end). Then when kids get the basics strong they focus more on single ball exercises. When they are fluent and they are able to play games, they are having mix of multi and single ball. After they reach a level when they have a very strong basics and they are starting to grasp spinning the ball they focusing on controlling the spin. When they do that the multi ball goes from form to agility focused training (instead of playing stroke correctly which they can do by that point, they focus on moving to location faster and executing the stroke in less time and recovering faster). When doing single ball exercises we usually have two variants due to player variation. If there is more than me who is not on the same level as kids then we rotate training partners so that more players can stress their skills and learn from each other.

After first 1.5-2hrs of training which is focused on progress. We play games for an hour or two. Either BO5 or rolling ladder (undisclosed time limit, usually time limit dictated by score of the first table, loser goes lower in ladder, winner goes up) to learn more. If we are not playing games, more hardcore multiball or serve practice.

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.

In the club I play with it is a mix of multiball and single ball exercises. The youngest one start basics with multi ball queue (each kid does a single repetition of the exercise and goes to the end). Then when kids get the basics strong they focus more on single ball exercises. When they are fluent and they are able to play games, they are having mix of multi and single ball. After they reach a level when they have a very strong basics and they are starting to grasp spinning the ball they focusing on controlling the spin. When they do that the multi ball goes from form to agility focused training (instead of playing stroke correctly which they can do by that point, they focus on moving to location faster and executing the stroke in less time and recovering faster). When doing single ball exercises we usually have two variants due to player variation. If there is more than me who is not on the same level as kids then we rotate training partners so that more players can stress their skills and learn from each other.

After first 1.5-2hrs of training which is focused on progress. We play games for an hour or two. Either BO5 or rolling ladder (undisclosed time limit, usually time limit dictated by score of the first table, loser goes lower in ladder, winner goes up) to learn more. If we are not playing games, more hardcore multiball or serve practice.

We have a similar system, but sometimes it’s a bit more rushed. We don’t wait until form is complete to train for agility and speed. I think it helps us adapt better to in game moments where we are always out of position.
I hate agility training the most. My coach says it’s because I’m too tall, and can’t move fast or open up near the table. Love big loops from far away though!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Nope. Born and raised in Beijing!
went to the US for a few years though.

Oh nice, I lived in Beijing for 12 years, I miss being there some times. Last time I went there was 2019 for a summit, lots have changed but it still feels like Beijing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
It's completely different the way they hit the ball and that's why I mostly watch only these kind of TT videos because I find them interesting and their technique and I've tried to adopt the same technique and it is very rewarding when I beat players that use fast springy rubbers and me using tacky H3 rubbers.

I rarely watch videos from european leagues, because the way they play is like as if they're trying to shoot an arrow by pulling a bow or something, whereas the chinese incorporate more martial-arts-like technique into TT and that's why imo it's more interesting to play than the european league which mostly rely on springy rubbers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
What rubbers do players actually use in China? How is the price of rubbers in China compared to european prices?
The one rubber I am sure of is the DHS Hurricane 3. Commercial for hobby players, provincial for serious players, and national for rich players. Some use H3 for backhand, but most use some kind of ESN or BTY. T05 is the most popular amongst semi pros
The price is not absurd. Rubbers made in the country cost less than they do in Europe, but ESN rubbers and BTY rubbers cost more than their home country.

This user has no status.
1.Classic soft 5 ply limba as a top ply example Korbel and chinese rubbers what is your opinion?
2. What is the most popular blade in China except Viscaria/Long5 composition
3.Who is your favorite EU player and what makes EU players dangerous for Chinese players
4.Do you think sticky topsheet makes rubber easier to play?
5.What is the biggest problem with using Chinese rubber on backhand?
6.Who is your favourite not worldwide know Chinese player?
7.Do you think Table Tennis Gan, Chinese province player makes good reviews from your perspective on Youtube? link below
8.Where is good place to buy Chinese rubbers with good quality if I am European EJ?
9. As EJ, which backhand rubbers do you can recommend for koto alc
10. Good Chinese food ( I will google recipe)

Oh my goodness, so many questions! I thought I only had 4 exams today!😂
1. Korbel was the inspiration for me to get a butterfly blade. Feels great, good for beginners. Once you learn to use power, the korbel doesn’t have enough speed to break through the opponent. Same is true with Primorac.
2. I can’t say…
probably Stiga CL-CR
3. My favorite player of all players is Timo Boll. I just love his friendliness, and good manners. He is very smart in play, and improvises a lot, like the hand switch, that and his sturdy basics make him a threat to the CNT.
4. I think this is true for forehand, but not for backhand.
5. You have to be in position and give your all every single shot. Since I play a more controlled game, I need to passive block on BH, and with tacky rubbers it’s hard.
6. My favorite is probably Gao Jiajun. He is currently 16 years old, and he took 5th place in the official national middle school table tennis tournament in mens doubles. He is a nice guy, and just graduated from my school.
7. Never watched him, don’t know.
8. Sorry, have no idea. If you have friends in China, get them to buy stuff for you after the pandemic.
9. I personally really like Xiom Vega Pro/Asia. BTY T05 is also good.
10. All genuine Chinese food is good. I’m no chef, so can’t really recommend stuff.

• Love
Reactions: Konrad Bak
says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
A1: I’m 15. In 9th grade. I would like to study biology, and then medicine in uni though.

Oh my gawd, you are a just a kid. I saw one of your vid and I assume you to be a uni student. You are lanky for your age. OK, I will be careful and to you and converse to you with age appropriateness. My apologies to you for assuming you to be an adult initially.

• Haha
This user has no status.

Oh my gawd, you are a just a kid. I saw one of your vid and I assume you to be a uni student. You are lanky for your age. OK, I will be careful and to you and converse to you with age appropriateness. My apologies to you for assuming you to be an adult initially.

Honored to be assumed as an adult!
I don’t like to trouble people to act differently because I’m not an adult. People behave how they want and I choose what to see and what to avoid.

😊

Reactions: Wrighty67