T
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 15 0

User Info Menu

May 2022
    Thailand
    Read 0 Reviews

HELP: set up for a 15 year old girl

please recommend me some set ups for a 15 year old girl (so not the most power)
    butterfly would be best (10 percent discount here)
    she said that viscaria with tenergy 05 and rozena feels good
    but the ZJK SZLC feels too fast even though it has a soft feeling

which are best for intermediate players trying to learn the correct strokes and increasing consistency?
    - dignics
    - tenergy
    - rozena

please tell which number of dignics or tenergy as well

also some blade recommendation would be good

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 100 907
    M
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 907 100

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    I think for trying to learn proper stroke, you don't need such fast equipment or expensive equipment. You can use a $20 Yinhe wood blade, to give you good feeling and control.

And you can use a medium-fast speed Chinese rubber for $12 each to learn strokes. If you get dignics or tenergy, it will be really fast and you will learn the wrong strokes.

This user has no status.

M
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    Something like these would be more than good enough for a 15 year old girl:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...05520111%21sea

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...90491762%21sea

says it's about technique

Advanced TTD Member 50 231
    says it's about technique

Advanced TTD Member 231 50
    If there was a way that we can all describe ourselves as not intermediate.

Honestly if you want a genuine recommendation, ask a coach from your local club who’s seen her play and then follow their recommendation.

im going to give a solid beginner setup that’s well known:
    Xiom Vega Intro (max)
    Xiom Vega Intro (max)
    Yasaka Sweden Extra

or

Rozena
    Rozena
    Primorac All wood Off-
    Last edited by ricospin; 3 Days Ago at 02:32 AM.

This user has no status.

M
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ricospin
    If there was a way that we can all describe ourselves as not intermediate.

Honestly if you want a genuine recommendation, ask a coach from your local club who’s seen her play and then follow their recommendation.

im going to give a solid beginner setup that’s well known:
    Xiom Vega Intro (max)
    Xiom Vega Intro (max)
    Yasaka Sweden Extra

or

Rozena
    Rozena
    Primorac All wood Off-

Yeah I think those are very good basic beginner setup as well. But why not save the extra money for a 15 year old high school student?

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 174 390
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 390 174
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zhuang

Yeah I think those are very good basic beginner setup as well. But why not save the extra money for a 15 year old high school student?

Who knows , maybe it’s a prize for her awesome school year from her parents? If the girl wants a butterfly she gets a butterfly 😁

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 117 254
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 254 117
    I might be missing the point in this question but if she said she likes Viscaria with T05 and Rozena then why not get that for her?

The Following User Likes Zwill's Post:

SamTheMan

This user has no status.

M
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeGaGa

Who knows , maybe it’s a prize for her awesome school year from her parents? If the girl wants a butterfly she gets a butterfly 😁

Haha fine by me.

This user has no status.

M
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwill
    I might be missing the point in this question but if she said she likes Viscaria with T05 and Rozena then why not get that for her?

Sure, if she likes those, then get it. But she also said she wants to develop strokes. Viscaria is the blade of olympic champion and quite fast. I think a slower, flexier blade and rubber is better for developing strokes.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 113 340
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 340 113
    Quote Originally Posted by tabletennislover7
    please recommend me some set ups for a 15 year old girl (so not the most power)
    butterfly would be best (10 percent discount here)
    she said that viscaria with tenergy 05 and rozena feels good
    but the ZJK SZLC feels too fast even though it has a soft feeling

which are best for intermediate players trying to learn the correct strokes and increasing consistency?
    - dignics
    - tenergy
    - rozena

please tell which number of dignics or tenergy as well

also some blade recommendation would be good

How long has she played table tennis?

I assume that she has played for 3-5 years and needs to work on the technique and footwork?
    If this is the case I wouldn't recommend Tenergy, Dignics or Rozena.
    To learn the strokes you'll need a more controllable blade and rubbers that are more linear than the Butterflies

Why not take a look at a light weight blade like Sanwei Feather Carbon and the Sanwei Gear Hyper rubber.
    The blade is a slower, carbon blade in about Offensive- area and the rubbers got really good spin and control, and sufficent speed but without being too bouncy like Tenergy etc...

https://sanweisport.com/english/prod...eather-carbon/
    https://sanweisport.com/english/prod...ar/gear-hyper/

says Power from the ground

TTD Member 25 58
    A
    says Power from the ground

TTD Member 58 25
    At our club, one coach told us that if you don't practice 1000 hours in a year, you should not go for a fast setup. He himself has never used a fast setup. I totally agree with him, I myself made a big mistake of going with a fast setup (Viscaria + Tenergy and Dignics rubber combos) at a recreational level and now i'm back to slow setup with 5 ply wood blade and medium thickness rubbers, with the hardness characteristic of FH rubber being a little harder than BH. The main reason for the U-Turn in my case is that I realized that it is extremely important to have conviction in your shots and that usually comes from a slower setup, you can open your arms more, you get more feeling for the ball. For me, the faster setup worked very well too during the regular practice days, but during the competition days, it was a different story. The moment, i started hitting couple of balls outside the table, I used to loose confidence, become defensive, start to doubt myself and get second thoughts, This is VERY BAD. Your brain starts to meddle with your natural movements, this is game over then. So, until your daughter is going to put many many hours (as our coach said 1000 hours a year) with proper training, I really recommend you to stay with slow setup. What I've mentioned is nothing new. I've read similar experiences here. There is also nothing wrong in going through this same path of self-realization, however, time only moves forward so, taking pragmatic decisions and setting correct expectations are the key. As an example, I am 40 years old, not very fit, recreational level player (From next season, i play at class 4 of Dutch NTTB) and I sort of wasted about 2 years trying to somehow adapt to hard sticky Chinese rubbers without putting much effort and that did cause me more harm than good. And now I play with a much slower setup that I believe is more aligned to my current skill level.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 15
    T
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 15 0

User Info Menu

May 2022
    Thailand
    Read 0 Reviews

coach literally recommended tenergy 05 for forehand and 64 for backhand on a ZJK SZLC for around 500 dollars

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 15
    T
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 15 0

User Info Menu

May 2022
    Thailand
    Read 0 Reviews
    coach in thailand just gives everyone at least TB ALC and ROZENA even like 6 year old beginners

never wood blade, he thinks not good for new era

says UK Premier Standard Player

Senior TTD Member 1,112 992

Senior TTD Member 992 1,112
    coach in thailand just gives everyone at least TB ALC and ROZENA even like 6 year old beginners

Given this statement, you have 2 options.

1. Blindly go with what the coach says and trust that they know what they are doing.

I would do this if the coach has proven success of training others to a high standard, and is a well respected coach.

2. Ignore their advice and take random strangers advice on the internet.

Once you get past the obvious downsides to this, my personal feeling is that you've received better advice from below, than you have from your coach.

That being said.... If you are lucky enough to have a *good* coach locally, who is willing to recommend any equipment, I wouldn't hesitate to follow their advice.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,426 3,542
    T
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 3,542 2,426

User Info Menu

Sep 2013
    South Africa
    Read 3 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NDH

Given this statement, you have 2 options. 1. Blindly go with what the coach says and trust that they know what they are doing. I would do this if the coach has proven success of training others to a high standard, and is a well respected coach. 2. Ignore their advice and take random strangers advice on the internet. Once you get past the obvious downsides to this, my personal feeling is that you've received better advice from below, than you have from your coach. That being said.... If you are lucky enough to have a *good* coach locally, who is willing to recommend any equipment, I wouldn't hesitate to follow their advice.

Having been involved with 3 top coaches (one being a former Olympian/Top WR player), I can tell you a lot of coaches make very clueless recommendation on equipment and then by the time the player gets into our school, we are figuring out why why why, did the coach in junior high made those changes.... For female, we seeing a lot of coaches changing players to pips, because they can't brush the ball. That is the biggest sad story of my past 2 years... so yeah, coach said this, might not always be the best, but the 1000 hours a year comment above, I would agree to. If you not even training for 20 hours a week, you are only an amateur. For OP. If the lady has tried that setup she likes, then go for it. I would prefer wood blade instead, and later she can change to Carbon But all depend on how good she is (intermediate in one country could be a national champion in another)

TTT

This user has no status.

M
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews

coach literally recommended tenergy 05 for forehand and 64 for backhand on a ZJK SZLC for around 500 dollars

This coach sounds a little ridiculous. ZJK SZLC is one of the fastest blades in the world, it is the exact opposite of the type of blade you should get. It is for speed, and has bad control and feeling. Tenergy also is very expensive and very fast. It has a strong catapult effect and ends up doing all the work for you, so you don't learn the proper technique.

Wood blade is definitely best for getting control and feeling and learning proper technique.

Last edited by Michael Zhuang; 2 Days Ago at 06:02 PM.

This user has no status.

M
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews

Does the coach get a kickback from the butterfly seller? I think he probably does. I remember in Thailand, taxi drivers would get paid a kickback if they drove a customer to an expensive restaurant or club. I think your coach gets paid some money if he sends a customer to the Butterfly seller to buy an expensive racket. At the least, it sounds like your coach is very close with the Butterfly seller.

I think his recommendation is crazy.

Do you have $500 extra available?? When I was 15 years old, I did not have $500. I would highly recommend going with the Yinhe recommendation.

Last edited by Michael Zhuang; 2 Days Ago at 06:11 PM.

Senior TTD Member 1,112 992

Senior TTD Member 992 1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis

Having been involved with 3 top coaches (one being a former Olympian/Top WR player), I can tell you a lot of coaches make very clueless recommendation on equipment

I know what you are saying, and in this instance, I’m more inclined to agree (given the set up the coach has recommended).

However, the alternative is to take advice from a bunch of random people on the internet, who you have no idea about.

We don’t have any info on the girl in question, so everyone is really advising in the dark at this point.

The Following 2 Users Like NDH's Post:

cytivrat and Kuba Hajto

says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 11,425 11,218
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 11,218 11,425

User Info Menu

We can debate this forever... anyone wanna know what ex-pro Korean coaches were issuing to their new students by the dozen when I waz there?

BTY OFF++ Schlager Carbon with a mid-firm early Gen Tensor both sides. Why issue the fastest and not so spinny gear on the planet? That setup offered the easiest control and performance of the shot that mattered to coach - the FH hit. After one month, a new player would be close to table blasting it back and forth high speed little spin 100, then 200 then 500 times in a row. Coach valued footwork and FH hitting back then... which was only a decade ago. More modern retiring pros are trying to get players to spin on both wings, so many go closer to the middle, which is still OFF with modern mid firm rubbers.

I would be barely able to hit 10-20 like that...good for me I do not find myself hitting the ball with little to no spin real hard more than once in a rally. I like to spin and geared my equipment to do that.
    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.

Master TTD Member 674 1,570
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.

Master TTD Member 1,570 674
    If she has an opportunity to test blades, my advice would be to pick the setup allows her to play the elements she is the worst at very well and feels good. A few of the players I know do get fixed too much on performance behind the table and looping, but cannot control their setups over the table at all. You can give them weak ball that is short and they will fail time and time again.

When it comes to concrete recommendation from a random on the internet. A lot of people I play with who span from official leagues, finishing at recreational players use either thin 7 ply (sub or = 6mm, Tibhar Curious) or a thick 5 ply (5.7mm+, Tibhar Lebesson) in combination with MX-P/D on FH and EL-P/MX-P on BH (the MX-P + EL-P is much easier to use). I do not know why exactly this seems to work on such a wide group of people, but no one is really complaining on the training sessions. It does not have the prestige, but it gets the job done.
    You are reading this, because I cannot find remove signature button.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast