Is blade weight correlated to speed and different feeling (hard, soft- stiff-flexy)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
The weight being directly related to mass, and mass being related to density, it's quite obvious that a heavy blade might affect its feeling because of its stronger stiffness.

It's a common thing with woods: heavy woods have more mass and more density than lighter ones, therefore their stiffness/flexibility is affected, ... and the way how humans can feel vibrations either !

it's a pretty well known concept in music instruments design: ebony for example is more reactive than rosewood or walnut, as it's also heavier, harder and stiffer, that's why it's been an issue for Gibson when they had to pay $ 300.000 for violating a CITES law on ebony imports from Madagascar"s species in 2012: they switched to walnut for guitar fretboards but the fans were not happy with that, it was affecting the sound and vibrations propeerties of the newly made batches of instruments too much to their taste.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
The weight being directly related to mass, and mass being related to density, it's quite obvious that a heavy blade might affect its feeling because of its stronger stiffness.

It's a common thing with woods: heavy woods have more mass and more density than lighter ones, therefore their stiffness/flexibility is affected, ... and the way how humans can feel vibrations either !

it's a pretty well known concept in music instruments design: ebony for example is more reactive than rosewood or walnut, as it's also heavier, harder and stiffer, that's why it's been an issue for Gibson when they had to pay $ 300.000 for violating a CITES law on ebony imports from Madagascar"s species in 2012: they switched to walnut for guitar fretboards but the fans were not happy with that, it was affecting the sound and vibrations propeerties of the newly made batches of instruments too much to their taste.

You're a little over simplifying this. "More mass -> higher density" is only true if the volume of said object stays the same, but it doesn't really stay the same for blades. When you find a blade that's heavier than the other ones in the same lineup, more often than not it's also thicker.

Personally, I think the center of gravity is more important than the total weight, but when buying a blade online, weight and thickness might be the only two specs you can really pick. The good thing is, if you know the composition of the blade, then the same weight would give you roughly the same CG, considering the shape is roughly the same for all blades. That's why I specify the weight of the blade when buying.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews

You're a little over simplifying this. "More mass -> higher density" is only true if the volume of said object stays the same, but it doesn't really stay the same for blades. When you find a blade that's heavier than the other ones in the same lineup, more often than not it's also thicker.

Personally, I think the center of gravity is more important than the total weight, but when buying a blade online, weight and thickness might be the only two specs you can really pick. The good thing is, if you know the composition of the blade, then the same weight would give you roughly the same CG, considering the shape is roughly the same for all blades. That's why I specify the weight of the blade when buying.

I’ve often asked for 88g when ordering. But it’s mainly due to keeping the weight the same for all blades not due to performance.

Obviously it depends on many factors- but in theory if I bought an HL5 in 90g vs something in 86-87, would the lighter blade be slower/more control?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Yes, the weight of the blade affects its performance and feeling. However, people assume a heavier blade will be faster, which is not necessarily true.

Wood is not a homogeneous material, there are big variations in density within the same species, and generally speaking density is directly proportional to hardness and stiffness. So, you have two blades of the same model, one with 85g and another with 90g, where is the difference? This is the important question. You can even have two blades with 85g and significant differences. On a commercial blade the handles weight pretty much the same because they are made with fineline which is very consistent, so we can assume the difference is on the blade itself. Let's say they weigh 25g, that leaves 60g for the composition of one blade. The weight distribution within that composition can vary, you can have heavier outer plies and a light core, which will produce one result, and light outer plies with a heavy core, which will produce a different result. So, to answer my previous question, you can never be sure where the difference is. Generally, the core is the thickest layer in a blade, so it's probable that it becomes the main cause for variation, but this is not always the case.

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
There is obviously a small bit of variation within blades. I am curious if a heavier blade will change the feeling of how it plays. I’ve heard that heavier blade’s are faster from things I’ve read but I’m not entirely sure if this is true.

Definitely!

To qualify my response, I own 3 One Ply Hinoki blades and they are my current in-use set-ups.

1. Darker Speed 90 (9mm) is around 190gm'ish with rubbers. It feels light to me. Actually the proper word to describe is it feels hollow. My loops are less bitey and my smashes has less ommph.

2. Custom made 10.5mm is around 210gm'ish with rubbers. This is my favorite set-up. From the feeling I know the wood is very dense and hence my loop is more bitey and the smashes are like HULK SMASH quality!

3. Custom made 10mm but lower quality wood around 220gm'ish with rubbers. This is my second fav set-up. The point I want to make is that although on the weighing scale it is heavier but my Set-Up No. 2 feels more solid. I believe it is due to density more than weigh alone.Set-up Nos. 2 & 3 are from the same manufacturer and I paid a 20% more premium to get Set-Up Nos. 2 for selected choice premium grade wood.

So far I think it was money worth spending. I derive much happiness and pleasure getting acquainted with her.NB: All the rubbers on the 3 blades are Euro / ESN type rubber.

Last edited: