729 Blue Sponge

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
57A7F6AD%20753B%20465D%209881%205AFDE33C7B3B%20jpeg.jpeg

542FC88C%20D14A%204AB4%20B557%20864D39B87B9A%20jpeg.jpeg

F9C909E2%209E23%204F28%20986E%20656CF4E40700%20jpeg.jpeg

Has anyone played with this rubber? How does it play boosted and unboosted? How similar or different is it from the DHS rubbers w/ blue sponges?

also the pip structure has got to be some of the flattest I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I've played with it when returning to TT after my 30 year hiatus, hoping to find a semblance to the 729 rubber I used in the 80s - eggplant-coloured, very tacky, supple, well-tempered but not too slow. I still have a blade with an old sheet on it, and if I clean it it lifts the ball for a few seconds, even now, and it still plays well. As does the 30+ years old Sriver L on it, which after trying modern day Srivers that went unplayable in a few months makes me think things changed. But I digress.

Today's 729FX didn't play anything like the original 729. 729 FX/BS is a very hard rubber. The top sheet is not tacky and won't even begin to lift a ball. The blue sponge is only available with the black topsheet; in red you get an orange sponge which feels less hard. That I don't like, I like to start out with the same rubbers on both wings and then see where that leads. Not an option here.

Both are slow, and I couldn't squeeze much spin out. The red one even less so than the black one.

I don't boost; I didn't like speedgluing back then, felt the insecurity and volatility it created was detrimental to my focus. And I still don't like it now. So I can't speak about that, and it may be entirely possible that there are rituals to modify these rubbers that improve their playing quality for a little while.

There's a 729FX Super Soft, which has its merits as a beginner-level rubber. It's relatively affordable, controlled, and has sufficient grip to support all basic techniques. The regular version, not so much imho.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Interesting that you say this rubber is not tacky.

My recent h3 was not tacky when I peeled of the protective factory sheet.

I mainly got it because booster penetrates through the sponge better. I’ve tried the rubber on a friend racket- heavily boosted and it felt great, but perhaps it might not play the same for me

This user has no status.
That is slightly tackier than my 729 rubber, but the sponge should be the same. Hard, slow and extremely durable.

Used in forehand, not fast but still spiny enough. Used in backhand, it is too slow and challenging. That is mainly due to my backhand is worse than my forehand.

For training purpose, I can't find a better substitute.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
That is slightly tackier than my 729 rubber, but the sponge should be the same. Hard, slow and extremely durable.

Used in forehand, not fast but still spiny enough. Used in backhand, it is too slow and challenging. That is mainly due to my backhand is worse than my forehand.

For training purpose, I can't find a better substitute.

Did you boost at all? Could you compare to provincial versions of DHS rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews

Nope. I heard of that it is just wasting booster. It does improve the performance to a limited extent, but why not using Hurricane? Hurricane is better in any way.

For me, boosting a training rubber doesn't make any sense.😁

I already use Hurricane. I’ve hit with this rubber a long time ago and I liked the feeling albeit really boosted. I was curious on how it played because it was so cheap. And also the blue sponge.

says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
Jan 2013
The 729 blue sponge is harder/denser compared to the Hurricane blue sponge. The 729 blue sponge does react the booster better compared to the orange.
The 729 FX BS is definitely slower compared to hurricane, and I agree with the posters above, it's not nearly as tacky as it used to be in the 80s.
One thing with 729 rubbers is that they're usually glued together quite well, while with DHS (commercial versions ) it can be hit or miss, which makes it less risky to boost.

Reactions: ricospin
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
repaire water tap/ Must to have for a real man/Again, it is everlasing anyway compared to the large pores Trashy dignics/A lot of pleasure outdoor play/

Last edited: