O
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 129 38

User Info Menu

Mar 2022
    Europe
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zhuang
    I guess I never gave too much thought to push quality and push placement. Obviously lower and spinnier is better, but I didn't feel like there's a clear path to improve your push(unlike a loop which has a more direct path to improvement).

When I think about it, I think 90% of my pushes are directly back in the same direction that it came, and 90% of pushes basically are towards the center of the opponent's table. I think I do this just to be safe and keep the ball in play. Against partner, it isn't a problem. But I noticed that against the 2000 guy, he just punished every single push that I did into the center.

Because you never took the time to REALLY work on the short game/pushes tactics, you play safe... and then experienced players will think you're too much predictable.

Try to play a whole 11 pts game against someone ranked the same as you are with the short game and pushes strategy ONLY, it's long, sometimes frustrating of course, BUT at the end of the day you'll notice a huge improvement in your general ball control, being either variation of spin or ball placement

The Following 2 Users Like OldUser's Post:

Kuba Hajto and pingpongpaddy

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 38 129
    O
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Mar 2022
    Europe
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrighty67

I found that recently I made the most points by ensuring I never pushed twice in the same place or length and also by focusing on deeper pushes to either side.

Sometimes I do it... wrong-foot : short push on the FH side, the opponent pushes mid table on my BH because he's a FH attack pivot guy who needs that ball to be pushed deeper in his BH side, and then I wait the very last moment to see if he's actually pivoting: if he pivots too much early, then I punish him wrong-foot by playing the exact same ball placement with the same push on his FH and... easy point for me. It's like shooting a penalty slowly against a football goalkeeper !

The Following User Likes OldUser's Post:

Wrighty67

Last edited by OldUser; 05-18-2022 at 05:26 PM.

This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 128 1,107
    M
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,107 128

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OldUser

Because you never took the time to REALLY work on the short game/pushes tactics, you play safe... and then experienced players will think you're too much predictable.

Try to play a whole 11 pts game against someone ranked the same as you are with the short game and pushes strategy ONLY, it's long, sometimes frustrating of course, BUT at the end of the day you'll notice a huge improvement in your general ball control, being either variation of spin or ball placement

Yes, I had this exact same idea. I was thinking to do this today. What are the strategies to try in this type of game?

says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.

Master TTD Member 720 1,669
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.

Master TTD Member 1,669 720

Yes, I had this exact same idea. I was thinking to do this today. What are the strategies to try in this type of game?

I would focus on getting the ball where you want exactly on the table and not allowing opponent to smack it.

The Following User Likes Kuba Hajto's Post:

OldUser

/devnull

This user has no status.

O
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Mar 2022
    Europe
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuba Hajto

I would focus on getting the ball where you want exactly on the table and not allowing opponent to smack it.

Indeed but not only, it's only the 2nd phase of the training: BOTH opponents have to play the same strategy first, then the game after, one of the opponents tries to smack it, and then on the 3rd game it's the other one's turn to try

This user has no status.

O
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Mar 2022
    Europe
    Read 0 Reviews
    And you can also add some difficulty in the 2nd part/phase: successfull smack 2pts, unsuccessfull... 2 pts for the opponent ! successfull slow opening loop the regular 1 pt...
    Last edited by OldUser; 05-18-2022 at 07:22 PM.

says TT Content Creator

TTD Member 34 45
    says TT Content Creator

TTD Member 45 34

Hey Michael, we all understand the frustration playing against someone with better skills. I say "Better Skills" because "Rating" is just a reference/number.
    And I agree with many guys here, that a better player can read the game faster and figuring out how to play you quickly.
    Next time, record yourself and learn from that.
    On my side, I 'm recording my training sessions and tournaments, and then I learn from that.
    My current USATT rating is 2250 and I understand what you say when I play against 2500/2600+ players.
    Learning: Keep training hard, the only way to improve. My best wishes in this journey. 😊

says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 16,565 15,128
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 15,128 16,565
    Yeah. Some of what Michael is asking is just what a real coach would work on with you when they watch you play matches. Trying to learn by yourself is like the long slow method. A good coach will watch you play matches, see what you need to work on, and get you to work on those things so you improve. Trouble is, there are a lot of coaches who just get people to do block training and get them to look better but they don't get their students to work on the skills for improving actual match play.

So, a good coach. Not a coach that helps your looping look good without improving the game skills.

The Following 3 Users Like UpSideDownCarl's Post:

Dr Evil, Richie and 1 other

Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

This user has no status.

M
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    Yeah so I practiced a little differently today than I usually do. Against my usual partner, we played a set where both sides can only push underspin. I tried my best to sorta copy the 2000 guy's style and dude hard pushes deep into the corners and a few short pushes near the net. I won this 3-1.

Then I played a guy who I think is around 1200-1300, who is incredibly consistent but doesn't have super high shot quality. I tried to be proactive against this guy and use my opening loops directly on his serves. I beat him 4-1.

The Following 2 Users Like Michael Zhuang's Post:

OldUser and VictorMoraga

This user has no status.

O
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Mar 2022
    Europe
    Read 0 Reviews
    Good ! now the point is: did you feel any improvement in your time reaction and general ball control/feeling ? the way your brain could process faster... or not to build tactics, here it means placement and spin variations ?

This user has no status.

M
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    Well, i think my push placement got a little better, and gradually my bite on the push got better. My pushes became a little harder and more downward angled. Also i became more mentally aware that the push may come to any part of my table.

Against the 1300 guy, i usually play very conservatively because there are established wats i can win points. but then i dont get to try out new shots on him. When i try out new shots, i realize there are many shots i can make against him. For example i can loop his serve on both bh and fh. I can smash drive instead of just a safe drive.

The Following 2 Users Like Michael Zhuang's Post:

Lycanthrope and OldUser

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 272 261
    D
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 261 272

User Info Menu

Dec 2018
    United States
    Read 1 Reviews
    Good article from Samson Dubina: The Details of Pushing

Maybe not as much fun, but definitely worth putting as much work into pushing as looping.

The Following 2 Users Like Dr Evil's Post:

JeffM and OldUser

This user has no status.

M
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil
    Good article from Samson Dubina: The Details of Pushing

Maybe not as much fun, but definitely worth putting as much work into pushing as looping.

Thanks, I think I have neglected my push game and should be my main focus the next 2 months.

Question: Should the push be sliced along (parallel) the same angel as the blade? Or should the racket move a little perpendicular to the blade angle?

This user has no status.

O
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Mar 2022
    Europe
    Read 0 Reviews

It all depends on the backspin imparted by the opponent + the spin and ball placement variation you want to impart to your ball, sometimes a "ghost push", meaning pushing with a less opened angle racket to impart less backspin can trick your opponent and make him push "up" and raise the ball so that you can smack it right after, or even make him push too long and out the table's end.

The Samson Dubina's article is really good here for racket angles when pushing.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 6
    H
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 6 0

User Info Menu

May 2022
    Canada
    Read 0 Reviews
    Honestly , it depend on how your rating is. If you are 1800+ and play with 2000+ player, you might have a chances. For those 2000+ player, they have a solid skills of combination set up . They know how to move you around and you will likely to lose point if you fall into their traps.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,584 3,825
    T
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 3,825 2,584

User Info Menu

Sep 2013
    South Africa
    Read 3 Reviews

Thanks, I think I have neglected my push game and should be my main focus the next 2 months.

Question: Should the push be sliced along (parallel) the same angel as the blade? Or should the racket move a little perpendicular to the blade angle?

You need to learn all styles of the push.
    bat angle, where to brush on the rubber, on the bounce or late, wrist speed, arm power (or lack of), placement
    you need the full house

The Following 3 Users Like Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

Der_Echte, KM1976 and 1 other

TTT

This user has no status.

M
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    I played the 2000 guy again, and I finally won 1 game against him. A couple other games went to deuce, and I had one game up 4-0 on him where I ended up losing. His speed and timing is just different from what I'm used to. His pushes come hard and fast and I'm always rushing to respond to them.

But a couple things I did differently:

I tried to push him in different directions, instead of just pushing down the middle. At first this won me a few points as he was surprised, but then he adapted to my new strategy.

I tried to topspin return against his serve, which won me a few points. But I also lost a lot of points from just misreading his serve. His serve is really hard to read, it comes as heavy under, or side under, or no spin, and they all look the same. Every time I receive his serve, I just feel like i'm totally gambling. I kind of have a hunch what spin it is, but its like 50/50 whether I guessed right or wrong.

says From RPB to SH

Established TTD Member 90 141
    L
    says From RPB to SH

Established TTD Member 141 90
    He is willing to show his serves. That is good. Most advanced players won't be bothered using deceptive serve when casual playing.

This user has no status.

M
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    So how can I read his serve? Most of his serves are with the backhand, and they all look the same.

says From RPB to SH

Established TTD Member 90 141
    L
    says From RPB to SH

Established TTD Member 141 90
    Just observe when he is paying you and others, you don't need to pay for it. Pay attention on racket angle and timing.
    Last edited by Lycanthrope; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:06 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast