how to receive long underspin serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
hello i have trouble receiving long underspin serve, how do i receive it, when i try to top spin it goes into the net, and also when i just try to like put my paddle where the ball is, it ends up going into the net as well

thansk

This user has no status.
A Tradition Penhold Grip player will have abundant experiences on how to push a long and fast backspin serve to backhand. If you can find a video online ,it will be the best. Basically, it is still pushing a backspin ball, and the racket angle will be more vertical than short balls.

For topspin loop into the net, that is probably because the receiver doesn't have enough time or room for backswing. Insufficient backswing.

The last thing is reading the long serve. When the ball falls on the server side court, the receiver should be able to know if it is a long serve. When the ball passes the net, there is not enough time to prepare for loop.

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
hello i have trouble receiving long underspin serve, how do i receive it, when i try to top spin it goes into the net, and also when i just try to like put my paddle where the ball is, it ends up going into the net as well

thansk

don't know if i understand you correctly but I would just take a step back and give the ball a good chop and return it with also underspin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Bend your knees, do a more vertical, rapid stroke and brush the ball to get the loop over the net. This way you turn the spin around, and with a more vertical stroke you lift the ball more. You don't have to hit the ball at the highest point. It could be easier to let the ball sink a bit and you get more time for the loop. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think you also need to factor in your equipment (other than your technique).
obvious you are failing to handle the incoming spin and that could be of many things (including a too fast equipment)

So other than opening your angle more, it is to also make sure your weight transfer is 2 folds - bring weight from the ground up and then moving the weight from fh leg to bh leg (ie right to left if you are a right hander)

Next is the contact point - weight for the ball to drop
don't hit on the highest point, as that is more spinner
you either hit (push) on the bounce or on the dip (top spin)

I think with words, this is all I can say.
the next is to correct your technique physically, so you will need a on site coach to help you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
If he hits a lot of long fast serves maybe stand a bit farther away from the table so you have more time and when he serves short you step forward. Stepping forward is easier than stepping back.

Also learn to read the serve earlier, ideally just after the first bounce

NDH

says Spin to win!

thansk

This may come across as a little blunt, and it's not specifically directed at you, but questions like yours in general.

These types of question are virtually impossible to answer without any sort of example video - Heck, even if it's not you, but a video that has the same issue that you are having would work.

Off the top of my head, there are numerous answers to your question.

1. Equipment issues
2. Stroke issues on the forehand loop (could be so many different things here).
3. Stroke issues on the "push" (same as above, so many different things could be the problem).
4. Footwork
5. Anticipation
6. Positioning

Within each of those points, there are so many degrees of advice that may, or may not be relevant to your specific case.

The answers that have been given so far are all fine, and fit in with what I've said above - But they could also be completely wrong in your case.

If you are asking for help with something like this, I would imagine you probably aren't in a position to pick out the relevant parts of the advice and apply it to your game - Which means you won't get the most out of the helpful people on the forum.

If you can show even 10 seconds of the issue you are having (even if that's just "pretend" play in your bedroom where you show us how you receive the serve), the advice you receive will be a million times more relevant.

This is a fantastic resource to get advice from many people (or if you didn't want lots of people chiming in, you can post in the video safe thread, or message someone directly).

Without video to go on, we are just advising in the dark, and it may not be relevant at all.

Good luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The heavier the under spin you receive the more you have to brush vertically on the back of the ball, the more vertical your finish position and the longer you need to wait for the ball to drop. In order to complete this you'll need decent footwork to get in position and use your legs/body to some degree depending on the level of under spin and how far off the table you are.

You'll know you're getting the feel when you don't have solid contact with the face of the blade. In other words you wont feel and hear the contact so much but you will likely get a lot of balls hitting the leading edge of the blade from the brushing motion. This is the timing that will give you a better chance of landing the ball on the opponents side of the table with a "slow spinny loop".

A coach will be a huge help. They are always working with players on this.