Back to Forum
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 11 12
    P
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 12 11

Victas V > 20 Double Extra Review

Hi all,

today I received my sheet of V > 20 double extra from Japan, and will be reviewing it soon. I've most recently been using Fastarc G-1, however I wanted something slightly harder and maybe a bit faster, and I was interested in this rubber's ability to excel in countering.

The sheet I purchased was 2.0, and weighed 69g (nice) uncut. Similar appearance and odor to the other Victas rubbers I've tried, such as V > 15 Extra and V > 01 Stiff.

I hope to play again on Saturday and will give my first impressions then.

The Following User Likes Peter93's Post:

JEANJB

Last edited by Peter93; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:44 PM.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 11 12
    P
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 12 11

So I finally got to hit with the rubber today and I was very pleased with first impressions. It's important to note that the stated hardness (52.5) doesn't come through when hitting the ball. This has been something I've read in many Japanese reviews of the rubber, but in practice, while the sponge is clearly firmer than Fastarc G-1 (my last rubber used, listed at 47.5), you don't really "feel" that when hitting.

As I expected, this rubber truly excels at hitting through other peoples spins, especially heavy opening loops. You almost don't even have to think about what your opponent is doing; the rubber eliminates much of the guess work needed with other rubbers to properly counter.

Although Victas markets this as a rubber that should give people confidence and security in their shots (i.e. mid-level players), the top end speed and spin that higher level players are capable of generating can be seen here. I'm not sure if the spin at the highest end is as high as Fastarc G-1, but it's very close. In addition to that, the added speed made my shots much deadlier in play, and often times my opponents were caught off guard by the quality of my loops.

Where this rubber truly shines in addition to countering as mentioned above, is smashing. The extra firm sponge makes smashing a breeze. The way I play is to usually attack aggressively with my long pips and to put away any mistakes my opponents make, so V > 20 fits that very, very well.

I don't have a lot to say on the short game and opening except that, like most other modern tenors, it's very good and doesn't seem to be affected by spin much at all. The denser, harder sponge helps me control the short game well (which is by far the weakest part of my game).

Not much to write about serves, other than that generating heavy spin is quite easy, and I drew a lot of service errors today from my opponents (and one very high level player I played seemed really perplexed, which also surprised me).

This was only my first day with the rubber, and for only two hours at that, so I'll have to see how the rubber holds up over time, including topsheet degradation, and how the sponge feels over time. Please feel free to ask me any other questions you have.

The Following 3 Users Like Peter93's Post:

JustANoob, Kolev and 1 other

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 103 334
    K
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 334 103
    Thanks for the review. I would like to know if the top sheet feels like, hard or soft.... Does the rubber have the typical smell of a booster? Is it an ESN made?
    THanks

This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 128 1,107
    M
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,107 128

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    What is the meaning of Victas' naming convention? 01, 07, 15, 20. What do those numbers mean?

This user has no status.

TTD Member 11 12
    P
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 12 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zhuang
    What is the meaning of Victas' naming convention? 01, 07, 15, 20. What do those numbers mean?

This obviously isn't true for all the rubbers, but V > 15 (and the upcoming V > 22) correspond to the release years (i.e. V > 15 came out in 2015, V > 22 is coming out this fall, and is a successor to V > 15.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 11 12
    P
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 12 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolev
    Thanks for the review. I would like to know if the top sheet feels like, hard or soft.... Does the rubber have the typical smell of a booster? Is it an ESN made?
    THanks

I haven't played with V > 15 extra in a while, but the overall appearance and smell of V > 20 is similar to that. It is made in Germany so I expect it to be an ESN like the rest.

The Following User Likes Peter93's Post:

Kolev

This user has no status.

TTD Member 3 15
    S
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 15 3
    How did you get this rubber?

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 959 1,556
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,556 959
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter93
    Hi all,

today I received my sheet of V > 20 double extra from Japan, and will be reviewing it soon. I've most recently been using Fastarc G-1, however I wanted something slightly harder and maybe a bit faster, and I was interested in this rubber's ability to excel in countering.

The sheet I purchased was 2.0, and weighed 69g (nice) uncut. Similar appearance and odor to the other Victas rubbers I've tried, such as V > 15 Extra and V > 01 Stiff.

I hope to play again on Saturday and will give my first impressions then.

Thanks Peter for the review. It looks impressive. Victas has made some descent rubbers lately. It says V>20 uses Chinese rubber geometry, does it mean the topsheet has short pimple to improve short game?

Is it completely non tacky?

I played with Victas TDE, loved the blue sponge and plays just like National H3. However the tack only last for 3 weeks.