Blade recommendation for off- to low off carbon blades in penhold

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

It's not speed I'm looking for, it's more of that feeling that carbon gives you that you can spin with minimal effort. Essentially, carbon does the hard work for you. On the contrary, whenever I go from my fb2x to my infinity I always appreciated the increased dwell and how that could give massive spin potential as well as safety.

What 7 ply's do you recommend? I was going to buy a used nit acoustic- but I'd be happy to see what you recommend. (DHS PG.9 looks attractive to me- or maybe fang bo all wood)

PG9 is a good blade. Fairly thick with a strong catapult effect, very strong topspin with Chinese rubber. Fast but not as hard as most carbon blades.

Never tried PG13 but it does have a unique construction similar to my defensive blade but thin carbon middle instead of wood. Did use PG12 for a while. I didn't like it, far more stiff and hard than PG9.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
This has crossed my mind multiple times.

If Dima felt that outer is too fast and went to inner...

And I felt that inner felt too fast and went back to all wood...

And since I'm not a pro it makes sense to take that step back from inner... however, I still really like how carbon feels- and so i'm trying to figure out a middle ground... or perhaps I will never get the middle ground that I'm looking for because it doesn't exist.

Donic will released 3 new blades soon that could be available in CS PH ... well I've read that somewhere but can't get it back though. As they've used GlassFiber in the past with the outstanding Waldner Diablo Senso, they are back with non-carbon fabric cloth components using... flax ! If you put carbon out of the equation, you can get nice things like the innerforce ZLF blade also, although the price is a bit prohibitive for that BTY blade.

The flax cloth BF3 refers to a 130g/m² fabric. Very lightweight then...

https://www.donic.com/donic/en/blades/4271/donic-classic-power-allround-available-july-2022?c=43

Last edited: