Be honest guys: you don't need carbon blades

I've been looking at this thread for a while, debating if I made the wrong move by getting a carbon blade. I was doing some looking online to see what the carbon was all about and saw that it enlarges the sweet spot. I thought that was beneficial so I decided to upgrade from my DHS Windseries W3020 (penhold) to a Hurricane 301T. I looked at some reviews on revspin.net for the Hurricane 301 seeing that it was a very popular blade that wasn't too stiff or hard (4.2 stiffness and 5.4 hardness). I then saw that the 301T was the newest model so I got that.

One thing that I have noticed is that it is a little hard to control and that there isn't a lot of feeling, especially when looping. It kinda feels like hitting the ball with a slipper when the carbon activates. Would it be wise to move back to 5-ply? I feel that carbon might be too advanced for the level that I am at.

Thanks! I can also provide more information if needed!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
I've been looking at this thread for a while, debating if I made the wrong move by getting a carbon blade. I was doing some looking online to see what the carbon was all about and saw that it enlarges the sweet spot. I thought that was beneficial so I decided to upgrade from my DHS Windseries W3020 (penhold) to a Hurricane 301T. I looked at some reviews for the Hurricane 301 seeing that it was a very popular blade that wasn't too stiff or hard (4.2 stiffness and 5.4 hardness). I then saw that the 301T was the newest model so I got that.

One thing that I have noticed is that it is a little hard to control and that there isn't a lot of feeling, especially when looping. It kinda feels like hitting the ball with a slipper when the carbon activates. Would it be wise to move back to 5-ply? I feel that carbon might be too advanced for the level that I am at.

Thanks! I can also provide more information if needed!

If you find it hard to control, and lacks feeling, and can’t get used to it even after training for a few weeks. Then it’s probably right to say you should switch back to using an all wood blade, preferably a softer one.

If you find it hard to control, and lacks feeling, and can’t get used to it even after training for a few weeks. Then it’s probably right to say you should switch back to using an all wood blade, preferably a softer one.

I figured that might be the case. I also use the Hurricane 3 neo for my forehand, do you have any blade recommendations that will go well with it? I know that the Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive is popular for penhold, but it is currently out of stock on Tabletennis11.

I might make a thread about blades later, but I figured that I might get some early insight on this thread first.

Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

I figured that might be the case. I also use the Hurricane 3 neo for my forehand, do you have any blade recommendations that will go well with it? I know that the Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive is popular for penhold, but it is currently out of stock on Tabletennis11.

I might make a thread about blades later, but I figured that I might get some early insight on this thread first.

Thanks!

After using TSP/Victas SWAT series, I’ve been recommending that to a lot of people. Reasonably priced, good feeling, really good quality and pre-sanded shoulders. It’s also been the best selling blade series in Japan for many years now. I would recommend the SWAT or even the SWAT 5pw if you want really good feel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Read 1 reviews

h301 is not the hardest or most stiff blade, but it is definitely at hard of side of spectrum due to koto outer surface. Also T version may not fast and stiff like X but still would be harder to use it comparing to original.

but any way, all wood is great option if you have issues with carbon as others said. Also grabbing one of limba-inner carbon blades is an option too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I recently started playing with an acoustic carbon inner (purchased from Duke) after about three years with all wood acoustic. So far this is the only carbon blade that I like. Very similar feeling in both acoustics with a little more speed and larger sweet spot with the carbon inner. I think the all wood acoustic has a little more rebound on slower and more passive stokes/blocks. I do like all wood koto but always found carbon/koto to be too hard.

Reactions: DukeGaGa