Offensive players do you prefer inner or outer carbon and why?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
We all know that blades like Viscaria and HL5 are extremely popular, representing two different approaches to the offensive style. For all you offensive players out there, which blade archetype do you prefer? Why does this suit you better? Or if you have totally different archetype you like, feel free to say why.

I started out with the V14 Pro (outer alc) thinking that it was just the best all-around offensive blade style because it was so popular on the pro tour.

But recently switching to inner alc blades such as DHS Bo2, I now see the inner structure as being completely superior in every way. When I go back to playing with the V14 Pro, it feels so pathetic to me now. I can't really find anything good about it anymore.

1) inner provides more serve and short game touch and feel
2) inner gives more control and feel, allowing me to take bigger and harder loop-kill swings
3) inner gives more arc, giving me a feeling of safety to clear the net and curve into the table
4) some people warned me that inner would feel slower, but I have the exact opposite experience. I feel my inner blades are overall faster, especially at mid-range
5) the 2 most important shots for me, opening loops and topspin loops both feel easier to execute and have better feeling with inner blade

Would be very interested to hear your experiences.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
If inner has more arc that means easier to overshoot the table, it is worse for blocking and for flat hits.
That is not personal experience but just a guess.
​​​​​​

Reactions: Luigiii
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I think it is very very slightly worse for block, but really the difference is small.

There is more arc with inner carbon, but actually it leads to more consistency in my opinion. With the outer carbon, there is lower arc so in your effort to aim slightly more upwards to clear the net, you may overshoot the table. So in my experience, the inner is more consistent because the ball actually bends down into the table more in a natural way. Outer carbon actually slightly causes you to overshoot by aiming upwards more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
If inner has more arc that means easier to overshoot the table, it is worse for blocking and for flat hits.That is not personal experience but just a guess.​​​​​​

Hmm, I think more arc means it's easier to not overshoot the table, since it arcs more... as in the ball trajectory has more arc, as in the ball goes up then down more. Or less arc means the ball goes straighter and flatter. At least that's how I understands it.

Also, more arc means more spin, relative to the ball speed that is, since the arc is the result of gravity and spin (Bernoulli's principle), where gravity affects everything the same way, more arc means more spin (if speed is the same).

On the other hand, to answer OP's questions , I like inner blades better, for pretty much the same reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricospin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Hmm, I think more arc means it's easier to not overshoot the table, since it arcs more... as in the ball trajectory has more arc, as in the ball goes up then down more. Or less arc means the ball goes straighter and flatter. At least that's how I understands it.

Also, more arc means more spin, relative to the ball speed that is, since the arc is the result of gravity and spin (Bernoulli's principle), where gravity affects everything the same way, more arc means more spin (if speed is the same).

On the other hand, to answer OP's questions , I like inner blades better, for pretty much the same reasons.

So now I'm having a hard time understanding why players like FZD and LGY use the outer alc. The inner ALC really seems so much superior to me.

Maybe they think that outer alc is superior for the banana flick, which is how they return serve 70% of the time. But I actually don't see why outer would be superior for flick either. Inner gives more dwell time, more arc, and I would imagine suits the flick shot better than outer alc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
This user has no status.
Inner. I love outer too.
but I'm not the best player in the world with a killer loop drive in every shot.
I mostly rely on heavy spin but slowish looping to get the job done.
I find outer helps my backhand blocking and speed but negatively impacts my spin (unless it's Hinoki outer)
Therefore not for me!
But I don't really like all wood that much exception is the acoustic and Hurricane long 3

My favourite blades are: ALC innerforce, Hurricane BO 2 and the Hurricane long 3

says regularly shitposting
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019

I just watched a review by Table Tennis Gan, it's for an inner carbon, koto surface blade by Gewo. I don't think it's on youtube yet, here's the link on bilibili https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1or4y1s7NW

There is a bit of a language barrier problem for me :D

I am also waiting for the 301Z, which should be a 301 with zlc. Hopefully the handle is not too thin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

I just watched a review by Table Tennis Gan, it's for an inner carbon, koto surface blade by Gewo. I don't think it's on youtube yet, here's the link on bilibili https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1or4y1s7NW

Inner carbon with Koto surface? So did he say it feels similar to DHS 301?

Is it a combination that works? or is limba surface still superior

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

There is a bit of a language barrier problem for me :D

I am also waiting for the 301Z, which should be a 301 with zlc. Hopefully the handle is not too thin.

wow, a 301 with zlc? that sounds pretty powerful combination. How much is it and where do you buy it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019

here is another one of those threads that will never give proper answers.

Something like : Friends of ice-cream , do you like it on the stick or in the cone or a tub ?? 😁
or do you like to lick it, slurp it or bite it ??

Thread title is quite clear and I don't see right or wrong answers to such question.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

here is another one of those threads that will never give proper answers.

Something like : Friends of ice-cream , do you like it on the stick or in the cone or a tub ?? 😁
or do you like to lick it, slurp it or bite it ??

Depends on the form it’s served. If it’s on a stick, I bite it. If it’s a ball, I spoon it, then bite. If it soft serve, I’ll probably try slurping, or maybe just swallow without doing anything. But I never lick it. Also, the way I eat ice cream might have something to do with I’m one of those people who don’t get brain freeze when eating cold stuff, so I don’t need to go slow.😋

• Haha
Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews
18-20 years ago I blindly chosen Timo Boll Spirit as my next blade (wanted to switch from all wood to carbon one). I didn't think about whether it is inner or outer or any other characteristics, except it being faster than my previous blade. I don't think that I'll be able to switch to something different to koto-outer ALC now, I just play with it for too long (well, maybe koto - outer Super ALC is an option for me 😁 )

Reactions: jammmail