Offensive players do you prefer inner or outer carbon and why?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Try adding an all-wood alternative to your comparison. You state you value ease of execution and feel for your loops (you even say that is your most important shots). I doubt neither inner nor outer carbon blades will be better in that department than a good all wood blade(Korbel, Clipper, ...)
I have Stiga Offensive CR and Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive. Both 5w blades.

The Stiga is a little bit slow, and although I like flex, maybe it was even too flexy for me. On my biggest loop kills, it didn't inspire confidence because it felt flimsy. Also it sorta lacks the punch from mid-range.

MLEO is faster, but it has a lower arc than the inner carbons. It's fast enough for most shots, but from mid-long range, it maybe feels just a tiny bit underpowered. Still very playable though. But I think the lower arc gives me less confidence than I can bend the ball into the table. I think with the inner carbons, the carbon layer gives the blade an extra little kick which gives the ball a higher arc. This is lacking in the MLEO.

NDH

says Spin to win!

So now I'm having a hard time understanding why players like FZD and LGY use the outer alc. The inner ALC really seems so much superior to me.

Maybe they think that outer alc is superior for the banana flick, which is how they return serve 70% of the time. But I actually don't see why outer would be superior for flick either. Inner gives more dwell time, more arc, and I would imagine suits the flick shot better than outer alc.

Just my opinion, but I think it'll be a few factors.

1. It's what they are used to. They will have been using outer carbon blades for most of their life, and clearly doing quite well.....

2. From MY experience, outer carbon is better when playing an all out aggressive game.

When I'm feeling good.... The outer carbon blades I've used (TB ALC most recently) just feel untouchable.

The speed and precision you can get makes you feel unstoppable.

BUT.... Most non pros (and even some pros I'm sure), will not always feel like that.

For me, when I wasn't quite on my game, I felt the outer carbon blade caused a few more mistakes, and left me a little too open to be attacked.

So in a nutshell.....

Outer carbon allowed me to play at the top of my game, but also made me more likely to make mistakes and cause issues.

Inner carbon is pretty bloody close to the top level of outer carbon, but it's safer, and I make less mistakes and feel more confident, even if I'm not playing well.

For people like FZD, I imagine they don't care about that last part - They just want that extra 0.5% that an outer carbon blade will give them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I actually like the Viscaria, even though I don't play with it now. I don't think it is too fast for me, especially when paired with H3 rubbers. And I don't even think I play better/different if I play with my current setup vs when I play with Viscaria. For me it is just subjective preference between the two. The feeling from the outer carbon, it is like the Viscaria wants to be played all out, like if it prefers certain range of speeds/strokes/intensities, subjectively of course. The Horejsi ALC has deeper vibration, it is like it invites for wider range of strokes/intensities. Still when hit hard I get the feedback I want from it. Viscaria is shallow in a sense. Still great.

But the T5000 blades, that is just different beast. Especially when paired with dignics, etc. Way above my head. After couple of hits with such blade, both Viscaria and Vodak Horejsi ALC feel like good buddies or siblings :)

One minor point, out of 8 blades (not an EJ really) I bought, I like only 3. And none of those is cheap chinese blade. This is just my personal experience. I don't claim it is so always.

Reactions: Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022

here is another one of those threads that will never give proper answers.

Something like : Friends of ice-cream , do you like it on the stick or in the cone or a tub ?? 😁
or do you like to lick it, slurp it or bite it ??

how much do you pay for your ice cream and is it worth the money? do you feel good eating/ licking/ swallowing/ biting it? 😎

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Well, offensive players usually use racial slurs and extreme profanity.
Ohhhhh…
You meant playing style.

If this is caused by my comment on "cheap chinese" blade, then I think you should not feel offended. I like that you are proud chinese citizen. And believe me, I don't make difference between cheap chinese and cheap czech (if there is such thing), or cheap whatever. I like many chinese products, like H3 for example. But none of the cheap blades I bought I liked, that is my experience. They happen to be chinese. Should I have called it cheap blade from Aliexpress or what? As we all know, so much shit is going last years and now. We all have different views on most things, and my intention is that we get over it. In many countries now we cannot even express our opinion, because our government threatens legal actions. With this in mind, we need to keep above it. I understand you could feel offended, but you should not. First, because it is not my intention. And second, because you need to trust in your own strength. You are young and feel a bit offended, whenever someone says something about China, comunism, or whatever, which presents outward, like a bit of a threatening stance. You don't need that if you are convinced about your own strength, and the strength of your country. And you should be. I hope that clarifies.

Please let me use the term "cheap chinese blade".

• Haha
Reactions: PingBirdPong

NDH

says Spin to win!
If this is caused by my comment on "cheap chinese" blade, then I think you should not feel offended. I like that you are proud chinese citizen. And believe me, I don't make difference between cheap chinese and cheap czech (if there is such thing), or cheap whatever. I like many chinese products, like H3 for example. But none of the cheap blades I bought I liked, that is my experience. They happen to be chinese. Should I have called it cheap blade from Aliexpress or what? As we all know, so much shit is going last years and now. We all have different views on most things, and my intention is that we get over it. In many countries now we cannot even express our opinion, because our government threatens legal actions. With this in mind, we need to keep above it. I understand you could feel offended, but you should not. First, because it is not my intention. And second, because you need to trust in your own strength. You are young and feel a bit offended, whenever someone says something about China, comunism, or whatever, which presents outward, like a bit of a threatening stance. You don't need that if you are convinced about your own strength, and the strength of your country. And you should be. I hope that clarifies.

Please let me use the term "cheap chinese blade".

This thread took an unexpected twist! 😂

I'm pretty sure PingBirdPong meant that "Offensive" in the thread title, can be used to describe someone being rude/nasty/horrible to someone else.

Just one of the joys of the English language, and nothing to do with your comment 😀

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
This thread took an unexpected twist! 😂

I'm pretty sure PingBirdPong meant that "Offensive" in the thread title, can be used to describe someone being rude/nasty/horrible to someone else.

Just one of the joys of the English language, and nothing to do with your comment 😀

Well it seems I made you all laugh then...

But still would like PBP's confirmation :)

This user has no status.
Well it seems I made you all laugh then...

But still would like PBP's confirmation :)
Of course I’m jokingly referring to the title😂
I’m not THAT sensitive…
TBH I didn’t even read most of the thread and just straight up posted the joke.
There’s really no problem with people saying things about China if it’s fair game. I just can’t stand racism.

• Haha
Reactions: NDH
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Of course I’m jokingly referring to the title😂
I’m not THAT sensitive…
TBH I didn’t even read most of the thread and just straight up posted the joke.
There’s really no problem with people saying things about China if it’s fair game. I just can’t stand racism.

Fantastic! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I prefer outer atm - I bought a Harimoto ALC and just couldnt get on with it, ended up going back to my TBS and sold the HALC. On paper, and reviews, it should have been perfect for me but didn't really like it, especially on the BH. It may just have been a bad one - it was pretty heavy too.
Sometimes you just like a blade and it works for you and its almost impossible to understand why - it just is.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I prefer outer - I bought a Harimoto ALC and just could get on with it, ended up going back to my TBS and sold the HALC. On paper, and reviews, it should have been perfect for me but didn't really like it, especially on the BH. It may just have been a bad one - it was pretty heavy too.
Sometimes you just like a blade and it works for you and its almost impossible to understand why - it just is.

I think the Harimoto ALC isn't as good as DHS inner carbon blades. For me, it lacks strong kick.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I think they can be fairly similar - I have been playing with a Harimoto and a Viscaria and I like them both very much. I find the linearity and crispness of the Viscaria great, and I tend to block well with it, but I love the slightly longer dwell, softness and forgiveness of the Harimoto. I tend towards NDH view that the Viscaria represent the best me whereas the Harimoto is me most of the time ;-)