Serve & receive contribute 50% of your game

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Also, in that Train Ugly video they have a theory about why some coaches would prefer to do the standard block training that makes developing players look better quickly while struggling to understand why, when they train with the coach the look like they are improving so much and when they play matches, they are not seeing those results reflecting an improvement in performance in match play.
The first video really open up my eyes and mind. To a lay person who isn't exposed to sport science, my intuitive thinking is that repetition training aka block style training reinforce muscle memory and this is good for the game. And boy was I wrong as proven by scientific studies.

Prior to being exposed to the Train Ugly video, I always wondered why is that I am able to hit nice FH and BH but I completely crumbled when playing game. It is because I have been training the wrong way, or rather the inefficient way.

Thanks once again Carl for opening my eyes and mind.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Indeed service and service return is very important.
Most points will end within 3 to 5 points for lower level players
A bad service return, then you are on the back foot already.

Coaching:
Table Tennis is a very complicated and complex sport. The level of understanding and skill execution is very difficult.
FH and BH strokes are the easier ones to learn.
The whole ideal to start off with the easy ones is for the player to slowly understand how to control and spin the ball and to understand footwork, body action, weight transfer, recovery and so on. Once they get better, they can understand more of spin and reading of spin.

If you are a total beginner and don't have "feel" or "touch", and can't control the spin or speed of the ball, learning to serve or service return can be pointless.

In the west, where training is a mere 10~15 hours a week, you don't have time to focus on serve or return, you would need to do it in your own time.

In Asia, it is mostly team training (min 30 hours a week), and players will all do the same drills. for younger players (since they all start very young), it is more common to focus more on the basics.
The group I am involve with, are U15~U19, they are all pretty high level already (except for maybe 10%), and the serve/return is more of a warm up drills in the training session (2.5 hours long, and there will be about a 20 mins warm up, and rotated - so some times they will be serve / return drill).

However, when comes to multi ball, ie BH flick or FH flick (serve return) is quite common to start off the drills. So we can also say, there is some training there.

There will be times for individual training where extra training can occur. Or some times you will see a player getting a box of balls with the collection net, and just practice some serves (a box is easily 200+ balls)

When during team training, but 1 on 1 drills, or when there is match play drills. I do see it often that players will ask for the same service again, to do the return better, maybe a couple of times, and when okay, to go back to the original drill.

So to sum it up, if you have 30 hours vs 15 hours.
If you have training from 6 to 19, and considered semi-pro or total amateurs.
You are bound for different kind of training (environment, style, systems)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
The group i'm with, I would say the stronger players are USATT 2300~2500 +/- (girls)

The reason why I say that is, a top USA junior boy (USATT 2500) join them for a couple of month, and they had some matches and was pretty close.
however, boy vs girl style needs to be taken into play. And the Asian close to table female game is something the west don't see a lot too.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
level and experience of a player is a factor in what type of routines are used by coaches, but I try and incorporate some form of irregular / random routine in every session, as I generally help coach beginners, the main thing to start with is learning the stroke in question and this is easier for them if they 'know' where the ball is going. For example a 1 hr session for a beginner could have 50 mins of regular routines and 10 mins of irregular / random. As they get better and progress I think that the irregular / random routines should be increased.
By the time a player reaches an advanced level, perhaps the irregular / random training should be 70+% of training time as this simulates matches.

Reactions: jammmail
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The first video really open up my eyes and mind. To a lay person who isn't exposed to sport science, my intuitive thinking is that repetition training aka block style training reinforce muscle memory and this is good for the game. And boy was I wrong as proven by scientific studies.

Prior to being exposed to the Train Ugly video, I always wondered why is that I am able to hit nice FH and BH but I completely crumbled when playing game. It is because I have been training the wrong way, or rather the inefficient way.

Thanks once again Carl for opening my eyes and mind.
It is worth understanding that you do need to do both. Table Tennis is so complex that you have to work on the technique for your strokes too. Having drills that lead you towards being able to handle random is a valuable intermediary step. And this is also why it is good to play people who are at different levels. When you play someone you are better than, their game seems slow and you see where they are going and get there. When you are playing someone better than you, you will consistently feel pressured and surprised by where their shots go.

Like, the video of ZJK doing wildly fast, totally random placement multiball where the coach is switching between backspin and topspin while changing placement and sending the next ball before ZJK's shot even lands on the coaches side, so the pace is faster than it could be in a match....that is designed to make it so match play feels slow in comparison. Then match play feels easy to adjust to.

But don't lose track of the fact that you do still need to work on your strokes. At your level, you just are not adjusting to the randomness as fast as you will over time. This is like reading spin....you work on it and work on it and over time you start getting better at it. But you have to keep trying. Even when you watch other people play, you should be trying to read their serves.

Brett Clarke has these videos where you are watching serves and trying to read what spin is on each serve. Those help. He also has a little TT Video Game App where you try to read the serves and that helps as well. In that app there is also part where you are trying to read ball placement.

See if you can find the Table Tennis Edge App. It might be worth you playing around with it.

Reactions: Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews

That doesn’t contradict what I’m saying, you can practice on your own, you just need to know how to generate spin, then you start experimenting. And if receiving is reading spin, you should also know servicing is hiding the spin, so everything you practice in a serve should be based on this. As for how much spin is on the ball, honestly you don’t need a lot if you can hide it well, but if you really want to you can just count the bounces and/or how much does the direction changes, for long balls speed is more important because it should be a surprise.

The point is, there’s nothing much a coach can teach hands on, and there isn’t really a wrong way as long as you don’t hurt yourself doing serves, so the coach only need to teach the concept and show a few demos, then it’s up to you to practice on your own, and the coach only need to check in on your progress every now and then.

Isn't that the same coach does for top-spin, drive and push strokes? Once you get the instructional and you get a rough understanding of what is going on you keep practicing it with guys in the club and then you get check up and correct mistakes? I have never got official coaching but that is what we are doing and what I think is needed for serves, because I do believe that they are crucial, especially getting guidance on serve selection.