Advice on badminton shoes (for table tennis use)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Just quickly to give some background info about my previous shoes so you can probably help me better.

I now use a Mizuno Wave Medal 6, which I got for 55EUR on a bargain. I like that it has good support, the sole grip is not bad, wish it was better on wood floor (especially on worn wood floor). I like it helped to get rid of the calluses my previous shoe caused and also helped me to get rid of a worrying right ankle pain I developed with my previous shoe as well. I don't like that it's more like a stability show, doesn't encourage me to move, more like to stay in a spot. It's a bit stiff too, not that cushy.

Before the WM6 I had a Lezoline Mach, which was very cushy, light, quite instable in the sense that it made me move around more. It was durable, it lasted me for 18 months before the sole turned into slicks. It caused me calluses on my big toe and on the ball on my foot. It was painful and annoying and ugly. I did develop on my right ankle a pain that just was creepy. It happened when I did loopkills and lot of strain was on my right ankle. I am left handed btw. This creepy pain was the reason I switched from this shoe.

Before the Mach I had an Andro Cross Step. That shoe's sole only lasted me 2-3 months so I don't have much nice things to say about it.

And before the Andro I had a LiNing whirlwind. I think whirlwind is the name of the model. A lot of Chinese used it a few years ago. It's a pretty good shoe, but the sole grip on wood was not too great so that was the main reason I didn't want to re-buy it. It was a bit hard shoe too like the WM6, and had quite good support. I think the angled soles helped quite a bit.

So I've been doing some research about the badminton shoes and for sure Yonex has the best presence or marketing. I don't know if they are really this good or just marketing hype. However the 65Z2 looks like a nice shoe, I can get it for aroud 80-90EUR which is acceptable.
I also like the Aerus Z but don't think it's worth 120-130EUR. I certainly don't see the extra value over the 65Z2. The Aerus X is about 80-90EUR but is looks like a dumb version of the Aerus Z and not in the same league as the 65Z2. Is their sizing really off? I'd need 255mm and it looks like a EU40 on their chart. Normally 255mm is EU41 so I'm a bit concerned.

From Victor I saw the 9200 and 9500 to be some OK options. 9500 is a bit pricey again, just like the Aerus Z. They also look closed so maybe they get sweaty?
I don't know how these shoes grip on different surfaces, for me good grip on several surfaces is important.

Mizuno Wave Fang and Claw look really cool, they probably have the same sole material as the table tennis counterparts. I can get these also around the 100-120EUR mark.

LiNing shoes are a bit tricky in EU. Not that easy to get. What I saw is that they have these Ranger models that look OK. They have an interesting sole design for sure. Due to the lack of experience I rely on members to tell me if these shoes are OK or not. I trus LiNing can make a good shoe since a lot of pros seem to use them.

And also some Babolat shoes are more available in my country. These have better pricing but I have no idea how well they fare. If there are some other good options from any other brand I'm open. I don't know these brands all too well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
due to developing a quite serious plantar fasciitis (thank you MW5), during the last 3 years I bought many different badminton shoes hoping to ease the pain a bit. Among those I have 3 pairs of li ning and 1 of them I guess is a ranger 3. If you are interested I'll check tomorrow which models I have and give some input. I bought 2 of them from Estonia(EU distributor) and one from Badmania(France) with some excellent promotions, so finally I paid less than any Ali dealer.
Now I alternate all my 6 pairs and my favourites for the moment are Mizuno Wave Stealth V , Wave Stealth Neo and the Ranger

Reactions: Zwill
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
I had some kind of plantar fasciitis two years ago and realised I could not play more with my cheap Stiga shoes. I was on my way to buy the Yonex 65 z2, but when I tried them, I felt they were too high. I bought the Yonex Aures 3 instead (The earlier model of Z) and a basic Dr. Scholl insole. I´m very pleased with these shoes and can recommend them. Yonex Aures 3 with the Dr. Scholl insole was huge difference compared to my cheap Stiga shoes. Same lightness and same closeness to the floor, but much greater grip and cushioning.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Having suffered from all kind of foot problems my approach now is to buy all my sport shoes 2 sizes too big.
So, my feet are 250mm i buy the shoes 270mm and wear 2 pairs of thick woolly socks . I do that with my Mizuno wave drive and lately Adidas Ozelia.

I do not care anymore whether the shoes are advertised for running, badminton, TT, walking or flying if they are comfy to wear that 'll do.
Oh, nearly forgot, no more foot pains !!!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
due to developing a quite serious plantar fasciitis (thank you MW5), during the last 3 years I bought many different badminton shoes hoping to ease the pain a bit. Among those I have 3 pairs of li ning and 1 of them I guess is a ranger 3. If you are interested I'll check tomorrow which models I have and give some input. I bought 2 of them from Estonia(EU distributor) and one from Badmania(France) with some excellent promotions, so finally I paid less than any Ali dealer.
Now I alternate all my 6 pairs and my favourites for the moment are Mizuno Wave Stealth V , Wave Stealth Neo and the Ranger

How is the grip of the Ranger compared to the others on wood floor or just in general? Lining.eu is a cool site, but right now they don't have my sizing basically from anything... Badmania looks like a good site too.

I had some kind of plantar fasciitis two years ago and realised I could not play more with my cheap Stiga shoes. I was on my way to buy the Yonex 65 z2, but when I tried them, I felt they were too high. I bought the Yonex Aures 3 instead (The earlier model of Z) and a basic Dr. Scholl insole. I´m very pleased with these shoes and can recommend them. Yonex Aures 3 with the Dr. Scholl insole was huge difference compared to my cheap Stiga shoes. Same lightness and same closeness to the floor, but much greater grip and cushioning.

The Aerus 3 is also a possibility, it's going for about the same price as 65Z2. Some say the higher end Yonex shoes have better grip on their soles than lower end ones even though they look the same. It's a bit tricky but understandable. Does it work well on all kinds of flooring?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Adidas Ozelia.has great grip ....BUT....is this really desirable for Table tennis ?????
It is of course ok for me because i play like my feet are attached to the floor with superglue
but for good players that spend most of their playtime on the balls of their feet and seem to glide
from left to right and back and forward etc etc etc too much grip might work against them.
Maybe i do not quite see this correctly ?????😎

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I have a pair of Yonex shoes, pretty sure they are an old model 65Z, for wider foot. Yonex used to make some shoes for wider foot, not sure if they still do?
They have good grip, good support and were comfy ( they feel tight now, but this could be because my feet may be a little swollen due to a knee injury, bit of a strange one!!) . They are 4+ yrs old and still going strong!!!
I also have a pair of Mizuno Wave 5 or 6, these were a little loose, needed 2 pairs of socks, now they fit well without the socks!!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

Adidas Ozelia.has great grip ....BUT....is this really desirable for Table tennis ?????
It is of course ok for me because i play like my feet are attached to the floor with superglue
but for good players that spend most of their playtime on the balls of their feet and seem to glide
from left to right and back and forward etc etc etc too much grip might work against them.
Maybe i do not quite see this correctly ?????😎

Gliding is really bad in sports that are not about specially gliding like ice skating.
How can you position your body if your feet glide in an angle or you don't desire? You can't even begin to move in any direction since you're just sliding.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Having suffered from all kind of foot problems my approach now is to buy all my sport shoes 2 sizes too big.
So, my feet are 250mm i buy the shoes 270mm and wear 2 pairs of thick woolly socks . I do that with my Mizuno wave drive and lately Adidas Ozelia.

I do not care anymore whether the shoes are advertised for running, badminton, TT, walking or flying if they are comfy to wear that 'll do.
Oh, nearly forgot, no more foot pains !!!!!
Ideally not running shoes I hope?

Running shoes are meant to go forward etc…

that means no lateral support because you don’t move laterally in running. Just a thought.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
The Aerus 3 is also a possibility, it's going for about the same price as 65Z2. Some say the higher end Yonex shoes have better grip on their soles than lower end ones even though they look the same. It's a bit tricky but understandable. Does it work well on all kinds of flooring?

Yes! In my old club I had the same problem as you with a very slippery wooden floor. I can’t compare to other high-end shoes but compared to my cheap Stiga shoes it was like night and day. I’m very satisfied with the grip on all type of floors.
I think the big difference between Z and 3 is that the Z model is better ventilated/more aery and the 3 model gets a bit warmer.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Ideally not running shoes I hope?

Running shoes are meant to go forward etc…

that means no lateral support because you don’t move laterally in running. Just a thought.

That's a fair enough comment and will surely apply for any decent TT -player..................but I am not 😁
I have no footwork skills worth mentioning

• Haha
Reactions: ricospin and Zwill
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Gliding is really bad in sports that are not about specially gliding like ice skating.
How can you position your body if your feet glide in an angle or you don't desire? You can't even begin to move in any direction since you're just sliding.

of course you are correct but i have seen players fall because their soles "hooked-up" when moving sideways and over they went.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

Yes! In my old club I had the same problem as you with a very slippery wooden floor. I can’t compare to other high-end shoes but compared to my cheap Stiga shoes it was like night and day. I’m very satisfied with the grip on all type of floors.
I think the big difference between Z and 3 is that the Z model is better ventilated/more aery and the 3 model gets a bit warmer.

Cheers, it sounds really promising. There are several Stiga shoes, the Liners are basically a Mizuno Wave drive with a different upper design. The other Stigas I'm not even sure of. I've seen a few floating about but they don't inspire much confidence.

Yeah, the Aerus Z seems much better ventillated, and claims to be lighter too.

It's not even that our club has bad floor, we have hardfloor so it sticks well. It's that we have matches in different places and some of those have slippery wood floor. It's even worse like this since on training I'm used to having good grip but playing in other halls I cannot get used to the slip.

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

of course you are correct but i have seen players fall because their soles "hooked-up" when moving sideways and over they went.

I know what you mean, and it happens unfortunately but if your shoe has good grip always you can get used to this. Of course you make a bad step and you're screwed, this is what causes injuries for pro players.

Of course you can get used to the sliding but sometimes slippery shoes can find a grip. If you expect it to slide but it grips instead then you also can twist an ankle.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Shoes jpg.jpeg

From left to right:
ayzn 009 Sonic Boom - excellent grip on all surfaces . Comfortable on the heel without being high
ayzq003 storm II- Very comfortable. Normal grip
aytj073 - Low profile and steady. Grip is gone
Wave Stealth V - My preferred
Wave Stealth Neo -Impeccable comfort and good grip
Kawasaki- Very comfortable. It use to be my favourite but lost grip
I thought I have Rangers but no , I don't

Last edited:
  • Wow
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
Just quickly to give some background info about my previous shoes so you can probably help me better.

I now use a Mizuno Wave Medal 6, which I got for 55EUR on a bargain. I like that it has good support, the sole grip is not bad, wish it was better on wood floor (especially on worn wood floor). I like it helped to get rid of the calluses my previous shoe caused and also helped me to get rid of a worrying right ankle pain I developed with my previous shoe as well. I don't like that it's more like a stability show, doesn't encourage me to move, more like to stay in a spot. It's a bit stiff too, not that cushy.

Before the WM6 I had a Lezoline Mach, which was very cushy, light, quite instable in the sense that it made me move around more. It was durable, it lasted me for 18 months before the sole turned into slicks. It caused me calluses on my big toe and on the ball on my foot. It was painful and annoying and ugly. I did develop on my right ankle a pain that just was creepy. It happened when I did loopkills and lot of strain was on my right ankle. I am left handed btw. This creepy pain was the reason I switched from this shoe.

Before the Mach I had an Andro Cross Step. That shoe's sole only lasted me 2-3 months so I don't have much nice things to say about it.

And before the Andro I had a LiNing whirlwind. I think whirlwind is the name of the model. A lot of Chinese used it a few years ago. It's a pretty good shoe, but the sole grip on wood was not too great so that was the main reason I didn't want to re-buy it. It was a bit hard shoe too like the WM6, and had quite good support. I think the angled soles helped quite a bit.

So I've been doing some research about the badminton shoes and for sure Yonex has the best presence or marketing. I don't know if they are really this good or just marketing hype. However the 65Z2 looks like a nice shoe, I can get it for aroud 80-90EUR which is acceptable.
I also like the Aerus Z but don't think it's worth 120-130EUR. I certainly don't see the extra value over the 65Z2. The Aerus X is about 80-90EUR but is looks like a dumb version of the Aerus Z and not in the same league as the 65Z2. Is their sizing really off? I'd need 255mm and it looks like a EU40 on their chart. Normally 255mm is EU41 so I'm a bit concerned.

From Victor I saw the 9200 and 9500 to be some OK options. 9500 is a bit pricey again, just like the Aerus Z. They also look closed so maybe they get sweaty?
I don't know how these shoes grip on different surfaces, for me good grip on several surfaces is important.

Mizuno Wave Fang and Claw look really cool, they probably have the same sole material as the table tennis counterparts. I can get these also around the 100-120EUR mark.

LiNing shoes are a bit tricky in EU. Not that easy to get. What I saw is that they have these Ranger models that look OK. They have an interesting sole design for sure. Due to the lack of experience I rely on members to tell me if these shoes are OK or not. I trus LiNing can make a good shoe since a lot of pros seem to use them.

And also some Babolat shoes are more available in my country. These have better pricing but I have no idea how well they fare. If there are some other good options from any other brand I'm open. I don't know these brands all too well.
Believe me when I say that I tried a lot of shoes. My wife knows that 🤣
I tried many table tennis shoes, but my feet and knees were not happy with those.
I tried different brands, and a lot of Mizuno's

3 years ago, I started my Journey with Yonex shoes, using different 65Z2's and from a couple of months, with 65Z3
I like to use shoes with good cushion and different systems, like Toe Assist. I'm not sponsored :)

No pain in my knees or ankles.

Last edited:
  • Haha