BH rubber advice

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Gozo, why would you try and advise someone on equipment who is 15 to 20 levels higher than you? His use of and feel for the equipment will have nothing to do with anything you can actually do.

Because:
1. I can
2. I want to
3. I love participating in this wonderful TT forum / community
4. There is no pre-determined condition on who can post reply or not in this thread

Carl,

As a mod, you can decide whether you want this forum to be like Starbucks where everyone can come and drink a cup of coffee and relax or be like an exclusive old gentlemanly private club upstate ( e.g. Pine Valley Club ) where even women are not allowed to patronised and only very select few are allowed as guest. You just have to pre-set the condition. Let us know your decision.

NB: BTW in my opinion, if I start to critique or bad-mouth Tomulus techniques there would be ground to censure me. Nay, I did none of these, in fact I praised him. I am only sharing my opinion, and participating in an open forum. He, Tomulus is of good intelligence can decide whether to accept or reject my opinion. I mean he is not like little five year old.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Because:
1. I can
2. I want to
3. I love participating in this wonderful TT forum / community
4. There is no pre-determined condition on who can post reply or not in this thread

Carl,

As a mod, you can decide whether you want this forum to be like Starbucks where everyone can come and drink a cup of coffee and relax or be like an exclusive old gentlemanly private club upstate ( e.g. Pine Valley Club ) where even women are not allowed to patronised and only very select few are allowed as guest. You just have to pre-set the condition. Let us know your decision.

NB: BTW in my opinion, if I start to critique or bad-mouth Tomulus techniques there would be ground to censure me. Nay, I did none of these, in fact I praised him. I am only sharing my opinion, and participating in an open forum. He, Tomulus is of good intelligence can decide whether to accept or reject my opinion. I mean he is not like little five year old.

There is always a problem with equipment knowledge on forums.
No offense to you or Carl, but different players understand equipment differently, and a big reason of that is not just experience but of level.
So when there are differences, the dots will never join.

I recall a decade ago, TTD had badges (I actually wanted to ask Carl and the other mods on where it went).
I thought the badges was clever. Even though you can also get difference options from badges members.
They had certified coaches, equipment experts etc etc.
I am considered qualified in both and Dan asked that if I can choose 1 (the forum didn't allow for 2), so I chose coach, as I wanted to help the technique more.

I don't think the purpose was to take away the value of a non badge member, but rather to add more value in - almost similar to accredited medical journals and the wordpress covid19 website - not saying that is you. Because not every one can understand the info from certain sites must still be filtered and not to mention there are really so much fake news/political driven nonsense on there.

What you say may be good for you (I don't see a problem in your post as I saw your video). But I personally think you are still learning (and so am I) and in a years later your view will be so different to what you have posted today and that is very very normal.

I also comment on our 15 year old friend that wanted to make some library for rubber specs - which is a good initiative. But then a level 1000 / 1500 / 2000 / 2200 / 2400 / 2600 / 2800 definition of the rubber will be different, so from "what angle" do you actually define it with?
Do you use 1000, which will be fake news for 2000, or go 2600 and fake news for 1500? It is so difficult to find a medium.

I some times look at forums and the people asks I can't return the serve, or I can't block the top spin loop. I need a rubber that works for me. I most of the time just keep quiet, because the correct answer would always lead to lack of technique involved. If they ask about technique, then I would reply.

Let me try and explain to you on my view.
OP has 5 ply allround, and want to go to a soft/flex lsw zlf (it won't be that bad if it was say a stiffer innerforce zlf).
I would advise for much harder sponge,

The 45 deg on Korbel vs LSW ZLF will be very different. It will be too soft and difficult to remain a quality low arc ball on LSW
I would suggest harder sponge, way harder than 48...
And after re-reading the OP post, I missed the point that he bought the blade already, while all this time I was advising against a flex blade.
Anyways, base on my limited understanding, R48 on LSW will not suite OP's needs and I can still be very wrong. It might work out perfect for him.

This user has no status.
R48 and T05 are similarly priced,
T05 is meant to be more durable.
I’ve used both, T05 for testing rather than match play. R48 is a great rubber, my personal preference was R48 over T05, my level is not as high as yours by the way!!
Some other players I know have tried R48 and were surprised how good it was, but not good enough to make them change their T05 for R48!! However they said they could easily play with R48 and not feel they had ‘downgraded’
both rubbers are good for blocking and flatter hits, I found R48 felt softer and easier to loop with.
R48 Maybe slightly less catapult effect than T05

If money isn’t an issue, buy a sheet of each!!
Dayum Bro!
In China R48 is half the price of T05!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016

No offense to you or Carl, but different players understand equipment differently, and a big reason of that is not just experience but of level.

I recall a decade ago, TTD had badges (I actually wanted to ask Carl and the other mods on where it went).
I thought the badges was clever. Even though you can also get difference options from badges members.
I am considered qualified in both and Dan asked that if I can choose 1 (the forum didn't allow for 2), so I chose coach, as I wanted to help the technique more.

I don't think the purpose was to take away the value of a non badge member, but rather to add more value in - almost similar to accredited medical journals and the wordpress covid19 website - not saying that is you. Because not every one can understand the info from certain sites must still be filtered and not to mention there are really so much fake news/political driven nonsense on there.

What you say may be good for you (I don't see a problem in your post as I saw your video). But I personally think you are still learning (and so am I) and in a years later your view will be so different to what you have posted today and that is very very normal.

I also comment on our 15 year old friend that wanted to make some library for rubber specs - which is a good initiative. But then a level 1000 / 1500 / 2000 / 2200 / 2400 / 2600 / 2800 definition of the rubber will be different, so from "what angle" do you actually define it with?
Do you use 1000, which will be fake news for 2000, or go 2600 and fake news for 1500? It is so difficult to find a medium.

I some times look at forums and the people asks I can't return the serve, or I can't block the top spin loop. I need a rubber that works for me. I most of the time just keep quiet, because the correct answer would always lead to lack of technique involved. If they ask about technique, then I would reply.

OP has 5 ply allround, and want to go to a soft/flex lsw zlf (it won't be that bad if it was say a stiffer innerforce zlf).

The 45 deg on Korbel vs LSW ZLF will be very different. It will be too soft and difficult to remain a quality low arc ball on LSW
And after re-reading the OP post, I missed the point that he bought the blade already, while all this time I was advising against a flex blade.
Anyways, base on my limited understanding, R48 on LSW will not suite OP's needs and I can still be very wrong. It might work out perfect for him.

Ok, thanks All for your help and comments . I will definitely go for something harder. I ordered t05, t64, d05 and d80😁

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Yeah. Those labels/badges, where people were listed as certified coaches, equipment experts......it was good when they were there.

When the site went to this new format, a lot of things got dropped. Dan has said those badges would be back. But it was quite a while ago. So, I am not sure there are any upgrades or fixes to the site that are in the works. And the site seems like it could use a bunch of bug fixes. So.......

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Like claiming for commission? 😁

Not sure what you mean. Maybe I am missing something but I am not understanding what you mean here. The site frequently freezes. Often when you try to post, if creates double posts, if you edit a post that has paragraphs, it will reformat your post so there are no paragraphs.....I do believe the powers that be know of all the bugs, but there have not been any fixes to the site that I can see since a few weeks after they switched from the old site to this new one.

Hopefully that will change. But.....I have not seen any indication of it. And I know Dan is really busy since he had his first child. So, to me it makes sense that that kind of stuff has been hard to get sorted out or even to prioritize it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I decided finally to go with DHS H3 rubber again for my backhand but this time i went with the softer version of the rubber, 37 hardness, for my understanding it is the softest version of all H3 NEO one, i think i chose also a thinner thickness, and i will ask the coach who will glue it to boost it for me, so i have H3 40 Prov BS on FH and H3 commercial 37 on BH, i will keep that for a while until i feel myself that i have to change the BH rubber or both.

For now i tried few rubbers, the best two so far i had played with are T05FX and Rakza 7 Soft, i don't know why those two, but sounds they are the soft sponge versions, so maybe any softer sponge can do the job for me, but i try to avoid the expensive one such as Butterfly, and also Stiga or Tibhar or Donic, i will not pay more than $30 for a BH rubber, i might pay more for pips for defensive only, but not inverted, FH i can pay anything.

This user has no status.
I was in a big dilemma which rubber to choose as a BH rubber. I did a little analysis and the decision came down to two rubbers, and then I did an even more detailed analysis between those two rubbers.
If anyone is interested, here is a comparison between those two rubbers, Tenergy 19 and Rakza Z, both excellent BH rubbers, but completely different.

I was in a big dilemma which rubber to choose as a BH rubber. I did a little analysis and the decision came down to two rubbers, and then I did an even more detailed analysis between those two rubbers.
If anyone is interested, here is a comparison between those two rubbers, Tenergy 19 and Rakza Z, both excellent BH rubbers, but completely different.
Is the reviewer you, that was an excellent review👏
All you reviewers this is how it should look like.
Thank you.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Kolev

yes, I'm a reviewer. glad you like it 😊

Great, this is one of the best I have ever seen.
Comprehensive ( the subtitles for me ) and down to the point. You even gave the weight, that’s something I am missing in other reviews. That’s actually very important.
I would try Tenergy 19 in a heartbeat on an allround blade if it wasn’t so damn expensive. But it’s borderline hard and I don’t want to see it go to waste.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: 7sagittarius7