Votes: 7 70.0%
  • 2nd video

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Bzing,

Both videos are wonderful to spectate. However, for the purpose of polling, I went with the second video. My reasons later.

What I do find interesting between these two videos are that they highlight very clearly the playing style of the Chinese and European. My amateurish thought is that the Chinese players are very aggressive, super aggressive even to the point it would be scary to play with them.

The main difference I notice is that the European stylist ball are more archy and loopy and hence it gives the receiver just that microseconds more to get back in ready position. Whereas the Chinese style players ball is so fast, I would have trouble seeing the ball.

Now I come to why I polled the second video. It is the style of play that I am veering towards, or rather I see myself gravitate towards as I mature as a better player in the future.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Both videos are wonderful to spectate.

Indeed. I went for the 1st one - better angle :) Seriously, all 3 videos are great. As usual, I am disturbed by the fact that at my level, I am not capable of understanding (or immediately seeing) why, say WCQ, would crash them all. Please, explain! And please don't tell me that in order to understand, I'd have to understand :)

Last edited:
In some of the threads I've seen someone mentioning exact thing I love about Chinese style - it's like watching martial arts.
It requires a lot of physical training and feeling of the body, connection between the first step (which is pushing the leg into the ground) and the last step (which is pressure on the tip of your index finger and wrist movement, if we're talking about FH) and of course the reset/relaxation phase, outstanding footwork etc.

When I watch european TT it's rare that I see this kind of explosiveness and 'oneness' of the body movements. It's mostly about feeling of the ball and equipment doing the job for the players. I am not saying that they're playing bad, but it just doesn't look right to me.

This is why I am always amazed how relaxed and fluid Ma Long's or other Chinese top player moves are.
Sometimes I myself can execute this kind of powerloop. It's probably 1 out of 10 shots or even less, but when I hit it right it just feels so, so, so good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
In some of the threads I've seen someone mentioning exact thing I love about Chinese style - it's like watching martial arts.
It requires a lot of physical training and feeling of the body, connection between the first step (which is pushing the leg into the ground) and the last step (which is pressure on the tip of your index finger and wrist movement, if we're talking about FH) and of course the reset/relaxation phase, outstanding footwork etc.

When I watch european TT it's rare that I see this kind of explosiveness and 'oneness' of the body movements. It's mostly about feeling of the ball and equipment doing the job for the players. I am not saying that they're playing bad, but it just doesn't look right to me.

This is why I am always amazed how relaxed and fluid Ma Long's or other Chinese top player moves are.
Sometimes I myself can execute this kind of powerloop. It's probably 1 out of 10 shots or even less, but when I hit it right it just feels so, so, so good.

I agree. Striving for good technique is, imo, a totally valid self-sufficient reason to play. Of course then the better players in the club and also here tell me I don't need that, I need serve/receive, anticipation etc. :) And some of them then proceed to hit pretty damn sharp spins :)

I've seen you looping in some videos, very good technique, if I can judge. I was meaning to ask, it's a bit off topic. You mentioned you use hardness H39, but you utilize your body and can hit hard (transfer). Don't you have the feeling that with H39 your energy is rel. often not transferred to the spin, because you hit through? I expect you tried harder sponge, and that you settled, and that you are using exactly what you want/need to be using. Can you elaborate a bit why you are not using H40/H41?

The martial arts, yes. I've been practising too for a good part of my life, and only more recently swapped to TT. Not much to add. The biggest gain I see in the fact that my kids met it earlier in their lives than myself in mine. Back to TT: I think, due to the fact that we have the body we have, the principles are given, and they are the same, or it is the same. So I see the same principle in TT loop, tennis hit, golf hit, baseball throw and hit, gjaku-tsuki in karate, and spear throw. It's basically all the same. However, I'd pin-point 1 thing, and that is hips. The rotation of hips *precedes* the movement of the arm. It is this pre-rotation, that gives the power. It is sometimes not so easily seen in the top TT players, because everything is so smooth and connected, and it is more dominant in the other mentioned sports, like tennis, baseball, etc. I don't think about it when I play, well not always, but imho, it helps to develop the feeling for how much of this pre-rotation (precession, like Mercury precession :) ) we dose into the hit. maurice101 recently asked about it - that is my view here :) The whole kinetic chain matters, but we can't think about it when we play. If at all, we can think about 1 thing in the chain. And imho, rather than e.g. thinking about hitting the foot/floor to start, it is better to think/feel the hips. And then of course, when in, forget about it... Cheers. I hope we all meet some day...

This user has no status.
Have a look at this one. Marvellous Chinese table tennis players...the defender guy has so much skill, he even turns his racket at plays powerful bakchand with his H3 side sometimes 🤯

0:32, the umpire of the next table requested time out, and all other players were watching the show.

• Wow
Reactions: mihalichtheone
I've seen you looping in some videos, very good technique, if I can judge. I was meaning to ask, it's a bit off topic. You mentioned you use hardness H39, but you utilize your body and can hit hard (transfer). Don't you have the feeling that with H39 your energy is rel. often not transferred to the spin, because you hit through? I expect you tried harder sponge, and that you settled, and that you are using exactly what you want/need to be using. Can you elaborate a bit why you are not using H40/H41?
The vid you've seen was probably one where I play with Yinhe Pro-01 and it was actually H3 Provincial 40 degrees orange sponge version, there's plenty of power in it. Yeah I can hit through it with 2 layers of booster, but speed limit I think is not what one should be thinking when playing table tennis. It's mostly placement that wins you games :)

Recently I've won against top players in my region with Acoustic and Nittaku FastArc on the FH simply by placing the balls well, not much speed needed. There's little emotional drive in it as with H3 though :(

The whole kinetic chain matters, but we can't think about it when we play

Yup. After hundreds of hours of training (if properly coached) one will switch into hitting the ball with the hips, not arms.
I personally never had any personal coach, these techniques that you see I developed myself through analyzing gigabytes of videos of myself training, playing tournament games, etc...It's just fun to me to get better in TT, since again - for me it feels like martial arts in which one can develop throughout whole life (without punching someone in the face, heh)

Reactions: latej
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

This is very true from my own personal experience. I have played with Chinese tacky rubber on BH before as well as ESN rubber on BH ( current set up ). I will use BH as a better example because you cannot use too much momentum compared with FH as you have less space to swing your arm. Having a bouncy rubber do really help with the return. I recall when using H37 on BH, the returning ball is spinny but you really need to use force and on my amateur level it is tough and many ball tend to drop into the net especially with bad footwork ( when doing stroke it is not so noticeable, but it is very apparent when playing game ).

That is why my coach asked me to switch to ESN rubber in lieu of Chinese probably it is easier to teach for a non-pro / hobbyist like me. Results are probably faster to see too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I much prefer the first video. Not only better quality but you can feel the power of the shots. I might be approaching this way too much from technical aspect, but the EU version is a bit lifeless. I suspect that Felix's loops are packed with power, but it does not come up on the video. Maybe it is due to poopy audio.Also Chinese had more offensive versatility.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
They're able to play this way because they've gotten used to playing with hard tacky rubbers from the very beginning. Just like one of the videos on "TI LONG CLUB" youtube channel where he shows forehand technique is like throwing a water bottle forward (in one of the videos he demonstrates it) and the way he throws it is thrusting it forward and utilizing all the body parts, starting down from the toes, all the way through the hips, waist etc and ending at the finger tips. If you've got this technique completely nailed down then you don't need any catapult aid effect in your rubber.

I should've never used any of the catapult-like rubbers from the onset when I started playing. I should've started playing with hard rubbers from the beginning because this is basically their doctrine to train and get accustomed to the feel of hard tacky rubbers from the beginning. And by doing so, it's very easy then for them to adapt and play against a player that's using esn rubbers, however it's usually not easy for the esn-rubber user to play against an experienced tacky rubber user.

I know people often recommend beginner players to start playing with some easy catapult in-built rubbers. Then what happens is, they get used to it and get too comfortable, and because of how good initially it feels to hit the ball with the esn rubbers, they become very reluctant to change. Especially the top players are often too afraid to change from the fast catapult like esn rubbers because they're afraid they'd get affected too much in terms of performance and get averse of too big of a change such as using tacky rubbers.

This is another good channel

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
No deep purpose other than simply as the title says to see how many people like this style over the other style which both differ a lot and it's interesting to see people's opinions on these two completely different styles and what they think about it and their perspective on things.