Where are all the old forum members

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yeah, more quiet than here. It's not new though, it is at least a year - the low activity - maybe more. People there would know better.

About the reasons I can only speculate. I think it is not due to people, because imo, in this amount, it would average. So I'd put it on the "technical" details. This site is imo slightly nicer to view and use, even given its quirks. Still I'd personally prefer even tighter format. It is the written text that matters, everything else is secondary. No time to code it myself and Dan is twice as busy I guess...

Don't quite understand your speculation, could you explain? don't quite understand the "average" part.

I think I left MyTT in 2015 or so, way longer than TTD (which I think is 2018 or so).
I rejoined both, and yeah MyTT is an international library.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020

Don't quite understand your speculation, could you explain? don't quite understand the "average" part.

I think I left MyTT in 2015 or so, way longer than TTD (which I think is 2018 or so).
I rejoined both, and yeah MyTT is an international library.

I mean that because TTD and MyTT are the two major english discussion sites, there is enough people in both of them. If you take two relatively big groups of people, their, you know, qualities would average out to be similar (not individual, but as a whole group). Of course assuming you're not selecting them out artificially. So if that is true, and our qualities are similar, what else do we have to blame. And I blamed the "technical" differences. Imo, in long term, it matters.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
says Aging is a killer
I suspect that most Users take a break every now and then. I have been active on TT forums from the late nineties and every now and then I see comments from the other old boys.
However, as Dan alluded to, I think that mobile/cell phones are being used by more and more people for forums content.
I discovered r/tabletennis recently and was surprised at the high volume of chat. They also use a lot of TTD links, lol.
No wonder that Dan is busy working on that side of things to make TTD more mobile friendly.

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I suspect that most Users take a break every now and then. I have been active on TT forums from the late nineties and every now and then I see comments from the other old boys.
However, as Dan alluded to, I think that mobile/cell phones are being used by more and more people for forums content.
I discovered r/tabletennis recently and was surprised at the high volume of chat. They also use a lot of TTD links, lol.
No wonder that Dan is busy working on that side of things to make TTD more mobile friendly.

Happy to see another familiar face (name).

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Every now and then things get all Yogi Berra, as in deja vu all over again - or that’s just hoe it feels.

Having glaring bugs go unaddressed for so long is also a poke in the eye, that after a while also reeks of abandonment. That’s not encouraging.

So, here’s my Sweden Extra/Vega Pro endorsement. Can’t go wrong!

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
I can only hope that my own perceived decrease in forum usage compared to 5, 10 years ago means more people are out there being active in their communities instead of chumming around on the interwebs. Lord knows I have spent more time on forums than I have at the table in the past but I feel like I am just now getting to balancing that out. Although with internet culture always on the rise, there was a period between say 2014-2016 and now where trolling and edgyposting were much more prominent and less regulated, leading to more active engagement (of a variety, to an extent). Nowadays I feel like there is just not as much interaction over events and players and even equipment which has always been a staple of forum discussion.

This user has no status.
We need to accept the fact: there are abundant coaching videos and equipment reviews available online. And also online live training, either to individual or group. Forum communication word by word is the least effective way to deliver information.
My local young table tennis fans never go online forum to discuss techniques or equipment. And I doubt if here is a single one who is mainly relying on the forum for the answers of his inquiries.
We have coaches or partners or peers as a main source, and have online videos and reviews and live broadcast as a second source, information from forum is just a reference after those. Some may expect they can get or deliver a clear and accurate answer for a certain inquiry, but I am sure most want to see more replies from different perspectives. That brings in more information, it doesn't really matter they are accurate or not as they are just references, and we have our main sources to justify the information.

Based on the above, don't expect a Q&A style forum can keep members. Most members coming here is because they love table tennis and they want to chat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
A lot of threads have become toxic arguments between petulant forumers.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
TT Monster used to be so into TT, but around the time of Corona restrictions (California had them real bad, it ran out the only club in a metro area of 3 million) Monster got away from TT, was kinda drifting that way before it hit.

I really wished he had stayed with TT more, I got big and heavy too, did tourneys weighing in at 245 lbs (215 kg ??!!) and moved around the court the best I ever did.

I got him to play on my team for the 2018 version of the China Day Foundation Teams, I was on his club's team in 2017, but it kinda slowed down after that for him with TT.

I see Suga D on FB often, I never asked him what got him posting less, I think he is still in TT. He has been on forums a long time, he remembered me from DTTW days.

I hear Lyc's arguments explaining difficult continued participation on forums, but I got to say, without the TT forums, you would need a KGB sized spy organization of TT operatives to stay even 1/2 as informed or organize 1/10 of what we can do with the forums. Personally, I can say with certainty I would not make as many friends or have as many great adventures with so many people if there were no TT forums.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
TT Monster used to be so into TT, but around the time of Corona restrictions (California had them real bad, it ran out the only club in a metro area of 3 million) Monster got away from TT, was kinda drifting that way before it hit.

I really wished he had stayed with TT more, I got big and heavy too, did tourneys weighing in at 245 lbs (215 kg ??!!) and moved around the court the best I ever did.

I got him to play on my team for the 2018 version of the China Day Foundation Teams, I was on his club's team in 2017, but it kinda slowed down after that for him with TT.

I see Suga D on FB often, I never asked him what got him posting less, I think he is still in TT. He has been on forums a long time, he remembered me from DTTW days.

I hear Lyc's arguments explaining difficult continued participation on forums, but I got to say, without the TT forums, you would need a KGB sized spy organization of TT operatives to stay even 1/2 as informed or organize 1/10 of what we can do with the forums. Personally, I can say with certainty I would not make as many friends or have as many great adventures with so many people if there were no TT forums.

111.13kg.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I waz trying to say 115 kg, but that was a slightly over-estimate, but not impossible reality if I had continued my annual growth of my alien baby I been harboring all these years. Been riding ebike to Russian Church for TT 1-2 times a week 30 miles each way, plus every short trip I would normally do by auto... so maybe I will be closer to 90kg by year's end than 120kg.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Well, i'm back for 2 or 3 weeks.

I added some things of value, some one from down under says, what do you know since you from South Africa.
Then another troll is like what chopper do you developed in Africa and obviously looking low down on African choppers.

There is so much doubts, because they just hear the things they don't want to hear.
And rather judge the comment from where you are from? That is discrimination to me hey.

For that reason, I won't change my profile flag.
The value of my post, is based on whats in my brain, not what flag is shown on my profile.

Content in this forum is lacking today (sorry Dan, but that is my feeling)
hardly any equipment reviews (not just a Yogi ones). I recall every week there used to be some equipment reviews by one of the many reviewers.
I might be a borderline equipment experts, but I only deal with a few brands out of so many brands, so those are also educational for me.

Very little coaching videos, trainings videos, I think very little (self) videos today.