Crispest Blade you have used

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Wanting to delve into the knowledge of forum members here 😀

From what I know, harder outer wood with a supporting layer of composite for stiffness?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
For me it was a specific Stiga Clipper that was the blade of a friend. It was a Clipper he bought in 1990-92. When I tried it was 2016 so it was decades old. I think some of why it felt so crisp was because of how the wood had aged. But I will also say that it is probably the blade I tried that had the best feeling.

Next to that, there were a few handmade blades that were made by Charlie (Blades by Charlie) that were really close and, coincidentally, they were the same friend's blades. Charlie had made those blades for him. I have no idea what Charlie did when he made them. But they felt amazing.

Reactions: ZFT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
I have very crisp Garaydia ZLC AN which is very hard and and everytime I play it sound like breaking glass
and I have Garaydia ZLC FL which is very soft and plays like butter, both are 85 grams

says Footwork footwork footwork
What does crisp mean in this context? Like the ability to feel the ball in all or some shots?

When you say crisp, I think of the great crunchy feel when counter looping with my DHS Hurricane hao 2 paired with H3 provincial (39/2.1). I feel clarity on where the ball is on the blade and that it contributes to the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The opposite of mushy…

But then I think the rubber pairing (thickness and hardness) makes a significant impact. For example, on the blade I mentioned, with a Koto outer ply, felt very mushy with a lot of the DHS skyline variants (2.1-2.2 / 39-40) compared the H3 (2.1/39).

Reactions: lodro
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Crisp and Crunch do not necessarily mean hard. In fact, there needs to be something soft under the hard outer ply for a hard blade to really feel crisp. ALC blades, the Arylate is actually soft and lets the top ply deform which is what gives it that feeling of snap. Limba on certain blades can feel very Crisp and give you this giant Crunch feeling on impact depending on the blade construction.....and.....as said above.....depending on the rubbers used on the blade.

Some of how you get a Crisp feeling from the blade is how the top ply interacts with the ply underneath it. So, with an Koto/ALC blade, the top ply is hard and thin, and the Arylate in the weave is soft and allows the top ply towards the core and then rebound. For a Clipper, the Limba ply is pretty thin and the Ayous ply under it is springy. I have felt a Primorac Carbon and the one I tried did feel pretty crisp to me as well. So, the soft Hinoki ply on top of that Tamca 5000 Carbon layer may cause the to plies to interact in a way that causes that. But it is worth trusting someone who has that blade, like Lazer, if he says it feels crisp. :)

Last edited:

Really? Hinoki is not a hard wood at all (very soft...), I wouldn't describe it as crispy. Something like an outer carbon koto or maybe rosewood would feel more crispy.

But under is a layer of Tamca 5000, that is hard and it’s 7mm thick… I find it very very crisp.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Why use the term crispiest? I always associate crispiness with food like Fried Chicken etc.

The term is crisp and crispness, not crispy or crispiness. You are right, that crispiness might be something associated with food. But a blade that feels crisp, is something that, if you have felt it, you know what it is. If you have not felt it, perhaps that is how you would not know about it.

This user has no status.

The term is crisp and crispness, not crispy or crispiness. You are right, that crispiness might be something associated with food. But a blade that feels crisp, is something that, if you have felt it, you know what it is. If you have not felt it, perhaps that is how you would not know about it.

Should have said that before I ate my TB ALC😋

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
If you gotta ask… [emoji13]

Crispness is unforgettable once experienced. My first serious blade, a Stiga Offensive Wood (end 70s), had it — well, at the heart of its sweet spot. Made you always search for that hit, with that feeling.

The most crispy blade I’ve had was the Treiber K, a blade of the Viscaria family. There is something to that construction.

Note that some sneer about it being like hitting with a frying pan. I don’t agree, even though I think I understand.

My blade felt pretty crispy after my coach (former Iran National Team) was getting me to block his loop kills.

His loops had so much power and energy that I felt that my blade would break from his loops.

What were you using to block Zaman?