Carbon vs Wood

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
I will now continue to ignore Carly Siman.

I recently bought an inner structure XVT Blade called the archer B.

It looks promising, reminds me of an infinity vps with inner carbon structure (or maybe alc.s too since it has spruce as the second layer.)

The blade’s price is very cheap, wouldn’t hurt to try.

My inner EJ really wants a fzd alc.

It’s very interesting to see this many people like an inner structure. I thought outer would’ve been more popular.

Don't you mean "Outer" EJ 😉

Jokes aside, I'm also interested in the FZD ALC. Hopefully we'll get to see it soon.

On a side note, a few years ago when I started playing again, I got a outer structured carbon fiber blade. I knew nothing about inner or outer structure, all I knew was it was supposed to be good 😂 Then I started researching because it felt really incontrollable, that's when I started my journey to become a EJ. Since I played as a kid 20+ years ago, I was certain I had an all wood blade back then, so I started testing different all wood blades, then I discovered there are inner structured blades, so I tried those too, and along the way I've accumulated about 70 blades or so (down to 40+ now).

This user has no status.
In the last four thread I read he has nothing but trolling so he goes on the ignore list. I recommend it.

As to the questions.
I like 3+2 ALC best but normal carbon with Hinoki outer is also nice.
I don't mind outer or inner. I use inner because I'm not amazing and it helps my play a bit to have a less direct shot but it depends more on the blade.
My 92g v14 pro was so fast it's unreal but I loved my 94g TBS and 97g Innerforce ALC so much
​much

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews

Jokes aside, I'm also interested in the FZD ALC. Hopefully we'll get to see it soon.

On a side note, a few years ago when I started playing again, I got a outer structured carbon fiber blade. I knew nothing about inner or outer structure, all I knew was it was supposed to be good 😂 Then I started researching because it felt really incontrollable, that's when I started my journey to become a EJ. Since I played as a kid 20+ years ago, I was certain I had an all wood blade back then, so I started testing different all wood blades, then I discovered there are inner structured blades, so I tried those too, and along the way I've accumulated about 70 blades or so (down to 40+ now).

I’m dying to see a picture. It’s probably the most hyped blade release of the year.

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
I think it is very much personal and depends on personal preference. I never found a 5 ply I liked. Currently I found two setup groups I really like:
- good quality ALC, also rather thin blade (Vodak APC and Donic No.1 Senso)
- very thin 7 ply (~6mm, my Curious is closer to 5.9mm, TSP Swat would also fall into this category)

On forehand something that is rather hard (with exception to G1) and usually tacky on BH 42.5-45 tensioned rubber. I played the inner ALC blades for quite some time, but after a bunch of COVIDs and health issues dropped to the Curious which is club standard blade. The biggest difference after reducing the blade power (thin 7 ply has much lower initial speed) is that I can do full strokes slower and still put the ball on the table when I am out of breath. Because of the fact that I struggle with obesity and I had a bunch of issues after covids, my issues are much more pronounced.

The result was that both setups are very good in the first 1.5h of training, but after intense movement exercises I cannot recover full breath. With the carbon blades the ball would just shoot of the bat, with the slower blade I can keep spinning till the end of the practice, albeit much less spin than in the beginning.

The other effect is that I no longer have fear of ball going long. I just give it all the beans I can and it lands on the table.
Wish you health!

This user has no status.
I will now continue to ignore Carly Siman.

I recently bought an inner structure XVT Blade called the archer B.

It looks promising, reminds me of an infinity vps with inner carbon structure (or maybe alc.s too since it has spruce as the second layer.)

The blade’s price is very cheap, wouldn’t hurt to try.

My inner EJ really wants a fzd alc.

It’s very interesting to see this many people like an inner structure. I thought outer would’ve been more popular.

Hail the ambassador from EJ!😁
I hear the FZD stuff comes out this September, but don’t take my word on this stuff. I’m excited to see how it looks mainly.

This user has no status.

Hail his excellency the glorious leader of EJ!😁

70 blades!?
you have more blades than the Shanghai TT museum!
and surprisingly, a girlfriend. 🤣
but on a serious note, I admire your achievments.

says Or is it more legit...
says Or is it more legit...
Sep 2019
Imo, inner ALC blades paired with H3 doesn't make a too fast setup for a beginner. If a beginner wants to play with tacky chinese rubbers, I think H3 H37 both sides is a perfect start. Rubber is not heavy. Slow enough to force you to do full stroke both sides. Plus the blade can give a bit of an extra when hit harder. As he progresses, he can increase hardness, but the blade can stay the same, which I think is a good thing. I happened to make such setup, Vodak Horejsi APC + H3 H37 (black commercial, red provincial, but that is a conincidence), for my friend. He is a beginner, not absolute beginner though.

Well, in his case, it is not accurate to say that "he wants to play with tacky chinese rubbers". I've sort of forced it down his throat :) because I myself have so much fun with those rubbers... But we have this proverb: don't look at the teeth of the horse which was given to you ;-)

To be honest, it doesn't matter that much. 5-ply with slower ESN rubbers would be equally fine. Beginner of course, can't know, what he actually likes. But your setup, I think, is good.

Btw. this topic was probably discussed almost as often as tenergy alternative, don't be surprised if not very many answers...

I've always thought of that setup. Inner alc with h3 rubbers(commercial). Coming from an all wood blade i want something faster but not overly fast and useable for me. But I'm certain inner carbon will be greater or lesser to an extent faster than my previous all wood blade. Again, I previously use ESN tensor rubbers I have never play with tacky chinese rubbers but now I have a willingness to try. I'm aiming for a very typical chinese setup literally. Inner/outer carbon blade with h3 on fh and tensor bh. But i have only a few years of experience of course. I no more train with the coach due to school and stuffs. I'm now playing for fun but there's alot out there about chinese rubbers and chosing the blade. Trying bit by bit to gain knowledge about those. I play for fun but hey i still wanna have a right or at least an ease of use/adapt setup for me. I will only be using h3 neo commercial as this is my very first time trying and it's not very pricy. I'm even planning to try without boosting first and see how it plays and whether i like it or not. At the moment choosing a balde is harder for me cuz it's usually more costy than rubbers and plus I can't change the blade frequently cuz I'm paying myself for those lol so I'm being very skeptical buying blade. I've talked somewhere in a thread(not my post) that I'm skinny and quite athletically weak I'd say but I'm not short about 1.74m, 52 kg. I find it tough choosing between inner and outer alc. More experience members from here has explained me that I should aim for outer since it's easier to spin and use. I do count on them but what worries me is the control. Like using the same rubber, is the difference in speed, control, spin, easiness to spin significance between outer and inner alc? I know at the end of the day you buy what you want and play but i chose to listen advices from others. From now, i got 2 options for inner - harimoto alc and TMXi
Outer - viscaria (or smililar) OR Fzd alc Don't blame me guys can't help XD
P.s i won't buy zlc despite inner or outer (due to price)
TMXi cost just around $150 and $185 for the Pro
Sry that my comment has been long. I'd like to hear back from you guys
Thanks🙌

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Hail the ambassador from EJ!😁
I hear the FZD stuff comes out this September, but don’t take my word on this stuff. I’m excited to see how it looks mainly.

If I made more money I surely would be a true EJ ambassador 😂.

Luckily (or maybe not so lucky)I’m a student, which means I gotta buy other things besides eq.

My number one top to anybody is, don’t download AliExpress, it’s the gateway drug to all things bad 🤣

• Haha
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
The eternal question of wood vs carbon.
Emma%20frost%20jpg.jpeg

Carbon is Sexy

Groot%20jpg.jpeg

Groot er I meant to say Wood is cute

How to choose? How to choose?

• Haha
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews

I've always thought of that setup. Inner alc with h3 rubbers(commercial). Coming from an all wood blade i want something faster but not overly fast and useable for me. But I'm certain inner carbon will be greater or lesser to an extent faster than my previous all wood blade. Again, I previously use ESN tensor rubbers I have never play with tacky chinese rubbers but now I have a willingness to try. I'm aiming for a very typical chinese setup literally. Inner/outer carbon blade with h3 on fh and tensor bh. But i have only a few years of experience of course. I no more train with the coach due to school and stuffs. I'm now playing for fun but there's alot out there about chinese rubbers and chosing the blade. Trying bit by bit to gain knowledge about those. I play for fun but hey i still wanna have a right or at least an ease of use/adapt setup for me. I will only be using h3 neo commercial as this is my very first time trying and it's not very pricy. I'm even planning to try without boosting first and see how it plays and whether i like it or not. At the moment choosing a balde is harder for me cuz it's usually more costy than rubbers and plus I can't change the blade frequently cuz I'm paying myself for those lol so I'm being very skeptical buying blade. I've talked somewhere in a thread(not my post) that I'm skinny and quite athletically weak I'd say but I'm not short about 1.74m, 52 kg. I find it tough choosing between inner and outer alc. More experience members from here has explained me that I should aim for outer since it's easier to spin and use. I do count on them but what worries me is the control. Like using the same rubber, is the difference in speed, control, spin, easiness to spin significance between outer and inner alc? I know at the end of the day you buy what you want and play but i chose to listen advices from others. From now, i got 2 options for inner - harimoto alc and TMXi
Outer - viscaria (or smililar)
Sry that my comment has been long. I'd like to hear back from you guys
Thanks🙌

Funny enough, I used to be a firm believer that I don’t need to boost, after boosting my hurricanes, it’s very difficult to go back to not boosting.

Boosting makes the hurricane a much friendlier rubber to use, hell, even makes it 10x more easier to play.

I suggest you boost with seamoon after you’ve tried it stock. Falco I feel doesn’t do any justice to Chinese rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Funny enough, I used to be a firm believer that I don’t need to boost, after boosting my hurricanes, it’s very difficult to go back to not boosting.

Boosting makes the hurricane a much friendlier rubber to use, hell, even makes it 10x more easier to play.

I suggest you boost with seamoon after you’ve tried it stock. Falco I feel doesn’t do any justice to Chinese rubbers.

Falco is fine. Just use more.

This user has no status.

Nah it makes rubber mushy and doesn't add much speed. This is very much noticeable on all-wood 5ply blades.
Seamoon on the other hand evaporates faster, but actually adds speed.

I hear that Seamoon Yellow color only softens, and doesn’t add much speed. Black version doesn’t soften, but gives a lot more speed.

This user has no status.

I still dislike boosting for advantage, but boosters are very helpful in expanding shrunken rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
I hear that Seamoon Yellow color only softens, and doesn’t add much speed. Black version doesn’t soften, but gives a lot more speed.

It adds bounce to the rubber definitely. More layers= More effect...

That's what the national stuff is doing, more effect because it's more concentrated and thicker viscosity and less layers to apply.

If you want me to go into details w/ how I boost my rubbers I can. I think personally coming from someone who didn't boost, I think I found the perfect formula for the right amount.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
I still dislike boosting for advantage, but boosters are very helpful in expanding shrunken rubbers.
Boosting is controversial in it's own right, but I think it's not as advantageous as one would make it out to be.

In a sense that I wouldn't say, "Damn, if that guy didn't boost his hurricane i would've beat him."

I think boosting is a personal choice and preference. The moment I tried boosted rubber I understood why people use them. Much more safety and easier to spin and get quality. People don't boost to have consistency with their rubbers, and perhaps maybe more control.

It's kind of like carbon v. wood. I feel like with carbon it's easier to spin and put pace behind the ball, while with wood you get more feeling and control. It's all preference.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews

I've always thought of that setup. Inner alc with h3 rubbers(commercial). Coming from an all wood blade i want something faster but not overly fast and useable for me. But I'm certain inner carbon will be greater or lesser to an extent faster than my previous all wood blade. Again, I previously use ESN tensor rubbers I have never play with tacky chinese rubbers but now I have a willingness to try. I'm aiming for a very typical chinese setup literally. Inner/outer carbon blade with h3 on fh and tensor bh. But i have only a few years of experience of course. I no more train with the coach due to school and stuffs...
Thanks🙌

If you never played with H3 or the like than you could start with the Hurricane 8-80 instead and go on from there if you like it. No need for boosting. Depending on what rubbers you played before start with the slightly softer H8-80 37 (around 47° ESN, same as e.g. a Vega Pro) instead of the slightly harder 38° version. If that's still to soft normal H8 39° or H3 39°. Commercial versions are sufficient in the beginning. If you want better quality you can get a provincial H3 or - at least cheaper over here - the Nittaku Hurricane 3 Neo (NR-8701).

As for blades to pair with: I would choose a blade which still has some flex (inner, outer or all-wood as you like) and not something overly stiff at least when trying unboosted H3.

Just unpack an Evolution rubber and compare the smell to that of some boosters or ask someone who has access to pro player rubbers or just listen to the sound. There are differences between what we get in the stores, what contract players get and what the pros get.

Compare e.g.
https://www.mytischtennis.de/public/fotos/1726/em-2019---die-schl-ger-der-em-stars/25/#content
with
https://www.mytischtennis.de/public/fotos/1726/em-2019---die-schl-ger-der-em-stars/22/#content
or
https://www.mytischtennis.de/public...aeger-der-german-open-stars-teil-1/7/#content

Reactions: Colin Ksh