Very clever business.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

This is one of the most naive ways of looking at the business world I have come across for quite some time.
Next thing you will want us to believe that all the big companies are actually doing everything simply to benfit
us customers.

Is it not from the USA first came the saying : "There is a sucker born every minute " ??????

Wonder if you really ever had a true insight into how research and development works in an industry. I know you did not !!!
Your simplistic 3 step program as mentioned above only exists inside your mind.
Because your step 1 might already include ""planned obsolescence"" so no extra time is ever lost.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Actually designing super-grippy/tacky/sticky rubbers in this P ball era means that the topsheets will wear a lot and then won't last as much as the old 60's,70's,90's era rubbers used to.

It's a matter of mechanics, technology and R&D investments, Michelin for example was known to be the holy graal of F1 tires, and because the FIA decided to promote early tire wear as entertainement with a lot of pit stops, Michelin decided they would not come back. They killed nearly every major manufacturers in the 2000's decade, with way less pit stops than teams who were riding Dunlops or Pirellis. To Michelin this goes against technologic advances, and also against environment preservation.

Kind of Butterfly same moto there, but it costs a lot to achieve that level of quality: Michelin tires ain't cheap at all, and Dunlops or Pirellis are more affordable.

It's the same deal with anything in this capitalist world: quality means costs.

Also, in that case manufacturers will choose to earn money either by increasing sales revenues with high quality products or increasing gross margin with cheaper made products, simple as that: more sales revenues but less margin with Dignics or Tenergy rubbers, more margin with cheaper H3 Neo commercial ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: jammmail and lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Actually designing super-grippy/tacky/sticky rubbers in this P ball era means that the topsheets will wear a lot and then won't last as much as the old 60's,70's,90's era rubbers used to.

It's a matter of mechanics, technology and R&D investments, Michelin for example was known to be the holy graal of F1 tires, and because the FIA decided to promote early tire wear as entertainement with a lot of pit stops, Michelin decided they would not come back. They killed nearly every major manufacturers in the 2000's decade, with way less pit stops than teams who were riding Dunlops or Pirellis. To Michelin this goes against technologic advances, and also against environment preservation.

Kind of Butterfly same moto there, but it costs a lot to achieve that level of quality: Michelin tires ain't cheap at all, and Dunlops or Pirellis are more affordable.

It's the same deal with anything in this capitalist world: quality means costs.

Also, in that case manufacturers will choose to earn money either by increasing sales revenues with high quality products or increasing gross margin with cheaper made products, simple as that: more sales revenues but less margin with Dignics or Tenergy rubbers, more margin with cheaper H3 Neo commercial ones.

Are they designing super-grippy/tacky/sticky rubbers because they wear down faster though or is it because the demands/needs of the players with the new ball is different? A side-effect of that may be that they also wear down faster, which of course is good for the manufacturers but I wouldn't necessarily put their intent of wanting to produce shorter lasting rubbers to be the trigger of this change.

But I would guess they also wear down faster because players (well, better players) train harder and better these days.. plus the ball change. But difficult to say how significant it really is.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Are they designing super-grippy/tacky/sticky rubbers because they wear down faster though or is it because the demands/needs of the players with the new ball is different? A side-effect of that may be that they also wear down faster, which of course is good for the manufacturers but I wouldn't necessarily put their intent of wanting to produce shorter lasting rubbers to be the trigger of this change.

But I would guess they also wear down faster because players (well, better players) train harder and better these days.. plus the ball change. But difficult to say how significant it really is.

That's fair comment 👍

• Love
Reactions: Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

pro players wise, speed glue Sriver life span is shorter than boostered Tenergy rubbers of today.
so if any, the rubbers are lasting longer today than days of Sriver.

Reactions: Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
And anti/frictionless players will also tell ya their rubbers last for ages, as I've said: it's a matter of mechanics, the most adherence you have, the most wear you'll get because of abrasion phenomenons. And seriously, some young folks here have never seen Saive or Gatien training, or even Legout described by Waldner himself as being the most physical player he's ever seen, Christophe Legout still runs marathons today at 49. Kreanga and Primorac were brutal when training since their teenage years too. But of course the cell ball didn't required to put that much power with all your body.

Patrick Chila as also adressed the downsides of the P Ball bringing way more injuries because of the power needed to get more spin and speed with it, that's why you can see now more and more rubbers released with always more spin and speed capabilities. It's not because players train more than before.

Old era rubbers used with speed glue didn't wear because of the topsheet, it's only that the sponge used to degrade itself because of the several and frequent glue applications + glue removing. I know this well: I've been using sped glue for years, and indeed it cost a ridiculous amount of cash ! but I've also got some spare sheets of Varios since the 90's that I've kept well protected and never used speed glue for those ones, and played them more than a year total. In comparison the Rasanter costs way more but lasts way less... but it's way more grippy and powerfull.

Plus, there's a direct relationship between sretching a rubber and it's lifespan: all tensor and new generation BTY rubbers are stretched to the max in the factory to mimic that speed glue effect. The old era rubbers couldn't stretch that much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Reactions: lodro