What is the purpose of Chinese Penhold blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Japanese penhold blades are actually designed exclusively for penhold style.

But what is the purpose of the Chinese penhold blade? I have a CP blade, but as far as I can tell, all it has is just a shorter handle. In fact I sometimes even just hold it shakehand and play that way.

What is the purpose of the CP blade? The longer handle doesn't really seem to get in the way of a CP player even if you were to hold the shakehand blade as penhold. I think CP blade shaves off a few grams. Is that really the main benefit? the lower weight?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Interesting question!

perhaps maybe the reason that cpen was made over jpen was to develop some sort of regional differences.

Kind of like at the time that cpen with pips were a dominant style, I feel that Chinese players used cpen instead of jpen to sort of establish even more dominance, in a sense that cpen > jpen.

As time passed, the main difference became the ability to use rpb. Commonly Jpen used a painted back side, and so did cpen players at a certain point in time. I think the development of RPB helped differentiate cpen as the grip for reverse and jpen for traditional style.

As far as the handle itself, as I have used some shakehand blades for testing and held them with penhold, I can tell you something about it feels weird. I think I’m general, shakehand handles are fatter. Maybe I feel that I am less agile this way.

most importantly I think weight distribution can feel weird.

A lot of penhold blades have a larger face than sh blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Cpen head size is different to Shakehand.
sweet spot area is different weight distribution is also different.
And the above is also different to Jpen.

Chinese obviously started with Cpen, while Japan started with Jpen, while the west shakehand.
Why, I don't know, need to ask the grand dads

and for me, I can't use a shakehand to play, the weight distribution is wrong and the long handle will get in my way.

Last edited: