trying to pick a balanced setup

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews

Plus one to this too, but not everyone has access to a coach. I just give what advice I can, and recommend commonly used parts so people can find info on what to change if they don't like them.

Its 2022. Record yourself. Pay a qualified person to watch the footage (like a high ranked person or qualified coach), and ask him the questions, and get his feedback. Whabam. You get next best thing to a coach.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive FL FH rubber: DHS NEO HURRICANE 3 41h BH rubber: DHS hurricane 3-50 37h

I think you have chosen a very balanced setup. In my opinion your chosen setup is better for someone coming from a premade racket, compared to the setups Michael recommend you. You have chosen one of the best rubbers in the world. The same rubbers that the worlds best players play with. They can be considered slow compared to other custom rubbers. But combined with the Ma Lin Extra Offensive it will be a lot faster than your premade. What these rubbers offer however is great spin and control. The Ma Lin Extra Offensive is a popular blade. Faster than what I normally would recommend someone for his first custom setup. But combined with H3 it will be controllable. It will be a balanced setup with good speed and great spin capabilities. I don´t think carbon blades are advisable for a first custom blade. The only thing I would change is that you skip the baby oil booster. It´s not worth it. Especially not for your first custom setup. Booster effect is low and only for a short time. You can try it later when your accustomed to your new setup to find out if you think its worth it. What boosting does however is softening the rubber. So, I would advise to instead choose a H3 neo at 38° or 39° for your forehand.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Other than that, I would advise not getting anything crazy or tacky. Like 5 or 7 ply limba top under 6mm and at most 47.5 degree hardness rubbers. That would be something really safe. Heck. Even Primorac all wood + 2* Rozena is a very safe choice. Definitely will perform amazing in most of the styles of play.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Well I disagree with Lodro on this. On picking a wife, yes you only got one shot and if you pick wrongly you will mess up your life very badly.

On picking a table tennis racket, its pretty hard to get something that is not playable and not enjoyable. Even OP's original racket idea would be totally fine. But I just made a suggestion that would be a little livelier, and probably cheaper.

Don't be bloody ridiculous, I had lots of wifes 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: H3R0
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Its 2022. Record yourself. Pay a qualified person to watch the footage (like a high ranked person or qualified coach), and ask him the questions, and get his feedback. Whabam. You get next best thing to a coach.

Indeed, I was going to amend my previous post to this . At least submit the recording to the special thread in this forum, get some good advise from highly qualified and carefully selected experts.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... Last Results 1 to 20 of 377[h1]Video Footage Safe Thread[/h1]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
One is unable to find a perfect setup merely on online advises. That is true.
There are some universal setups and advises for entry & intermediate players. That is also true.

Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive is a reputable blade, especially for Penhold players. It fits intermediate players, even someone who doesn't like it won't say it wrong.

DHS hurricane 3 is a controversial rubber.
Firstly, it is a tacky rubber, it requires a little difference on strokes than non-tacky rubbers. If your friends or peers who play better than you and you want to learn from his playing, you'd better choose the same style of rubbers with him.
Secondly, this rubber requires boosting. It is still fine if you don't boost it, but then it is just an averaged rubber, and you can replace it with 729 or CJ8000 rubbers at the similar price for the better quality.
Thirdly, few players use this rubber for BH. Unless you are very good at BH loop, your BH loop is the same or even better than your FH loop, it is not a good choice in most cases. When you are saying you are a mostly FH player, I think it may not fit you. You can go for CJ8000 non-tacky rubbers first, they are very cheap in price.

Another thing you need to take into consideration is that boosting a rubber also means the lifespan of the rubber will be shorter.

Last edited:
This user has no status.

""""""palio CJ8000 rubbers at the similar price for the better quality than H3 """"""

that's a load of bollocks matey 😂

As least CJ8000 never goes wrong for a budget option, which OP may prefer.😂

Seriously, CJ8000 provincial is a good rubber. But I just didn't want to specify my advice to a certain rubber in case that that rubber just happens to be the unique one that OP doesn't like it.

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

As least CJ8000 never goes wrong for a budget option, which OP may prefer.😂

Seriously, CJ8000 provincial is a good rubber. But I just didn't want to specify my advice to a certain rubber in case that that rubber just happens to be the unique one that OP doesn't like it.

Fair enough, I used the ordinary commercial CJ8000 and , at the time were perfectly ok too.
But the bottom line here really is that it is just about impossible to recommend anything to anybody unless we can see them playing. Right ??

This user has no status.

Fair enough, I used the ordinary commercial CJ8000 and , at the time were perfectly ok too.
But the bottom line here really is that it is just about impossible to recommend anything to anybody unless we can see them playing. Right ??

It is a tricky thing of the forum.

Our forum can recommend putting footage for better or more accurate advises, but the forum shouldn't deliver an impression like 'You don't put your footage here, you won't get any advice'.

Besides, when the forum is persuading members putting footage online, the forum doesn't remind members of the consequences of putting footage online. The forum presumes everyone knowing it, but I think it is not enough.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews

Indeed, I was going to amend my previous post to this . At least submit the recording to the special thread in this forum, get some good advise from highly qualified and carefully selected experts.

[h1]Video Footage Safe Thread[/h1]

I meant actual coaches and pro players (i.e. some of the Polish super league players offer coaching services), but I guess Tony and yogi would qualify.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
The OP choice of blade is good. The H3 rubbers are very specific and demanding lots of power, technique and training to produse a rewarding shot. Not to mention the QC or the whole boosting hassle. Provincials are the better option, but they cost twice the price.
IMO something like AK47 red and yellow, or similar is a good option for a beginner

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Thanks so much to everyone who put time and effort into this thread.
I'll get a recording and post it here in a bit.
hopefully it will be met with a consensus lol.
THANK YOU!