Deceptive pendulum serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
I have a question. Can i make top side and under side serve with exactly same racket angle on my pendulum serve? My serves have a lot of spin but they are easy to read. If that's possible please give me some advice so I can improve my serves :)

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi,
Do you have any video of yourself serving? this would be good for the other posters to see and be able to help.
Spin imparted onto a ball is generally governed by a few things, timing, angle of bat, direction the blade is travelling in, point of contact, both on bat and ball. Contact - high brush, low brush, speed of the blade at impact etc.
A slight change of bat angle combined with a slightly different contact timing will change the spin on a ball. these small changes may not cause big changes in spin, but enough to make your opponent make a slight error, a lot of the time this is what top level players are looking for, not an out and out winner.

says Aging is a killer
On any serve stroke, there are basically two ways to vary the spin for deception:
1. Same contact point on bat, different contact point on the ball
2. Same contact point on ball, different contact point on the bat
The stroke action, including follow-through, remains the same.

Last edited:
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi Franek

Video clip in #8 shows the basic way that a pendulum motion can change spin, bat angle is pretty much the same, some slight changes because I'm a person and not a machine!! contact position on the ball is pretty much the same, as is the contact position on the bat. the change that changes the spin is the direction that the blade / racket is moving, which also means there is a change in timing of contact with the ball.
I show 3 contact timings and direction bat is moving, 1st - Early timing - the bat is on its way down, so back and side spin, 2nd Mid timing - is at the bottom of the 'swing' bat is moving almost parallel, mainly side spin, 3rd - Late timing - the bat is moving upwards so side and some top spin.

If you can hide or shield your bat with your body and only show the bat face at impact with the ball, for a short amount of time, with a fast moving action that is always the same, it can be very deceptive.

hope this helps some!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Good recommendation Kuba - I find Matt's videos some of the best for explanation

I really like his serve tutorials. They helped me a bunch. He does not show how to properly practice those serves, but he explains the mechanics of varience very well.

I still get fight with muscle tension issue locking my wrist messing my serves, but his videos helped a bunch with many aspects.

I would say that his description is excellent in terms of the spin variation.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
That's really intresting. I haven't heard about it before but i think it will make my serves way more deceptive. Thanks! I will try it in my next training

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Another thing that is intresting for me is hiding contact with the ball behind the body. I see some players do that but sometimes umpires don't see that with their perspective. That's really annoying

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
What's more it happens in higher levels for example Yoshimura hid his serves with his head.

What do you think of this and am i the only one how played against someone with that kind of tricky serve?