says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
TableTennisDaily member Mitz was at the Spanish Open World Tour 2012 between 18th to 22th April and had the opportunity to record Jun Mizutani testing the new plastic ball. In Mitz words "I think it's a cool stuff, because it was a curious situation, Mizutani was warming up when Samsonov launchs to him a ball and, surprise, it seems the ball is broke... but, no, is one of the new plastic balls...)"

mizkuwait2012.jpg

Photo by: Alexander Zemlianichenko

TableTennisDaily member William Henzell also tested the new plastic balls

By the looks of things, the balls still need to develop

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Amazing Video and funny to see the pros interact in the trainings hall.
You can clearly hear the sound difference between new and old ball(better than in Henzell's video)

But all in all the players play very well for the first time with the new ball. This gives me some hope that the adjustment won't be that big

Administrator
Oct 2010
I think sidespin-topspin will be much harder with the new ball and amazing rallys around the net almost impossible. The New Ball will restrict the variety of the game

Very true, since I have been at University I have let many of my friends watch table tennis. And when they do they have no idea what is going on. They always say it is to fast to understand, half the time they don't even no who has won the point lol. So it will be interesting to see if these balls change the way people view and understand the sport..

Reactions: RIPPER
This user has no status.
hi, i've tried the new balls and they are very strange at first till you get used so them. in some of the shot like mentioned above the side spin -top spin it is nearly impossible to and chop is very hard to put on the ball. also the ball feels super light when playing with it. if the new balls don't improve i feat that the level of the sport will be reduced a lot :/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
the sound is almost as if the bats are ultra speed glued up, hopefully it will make rallies last longer, I think in counter loop rallies it may become easier and there will be way better rallies!!!

Maybe athleticism would become more important than finesse. I guess it would make the sport better to watch for outsiders, but it would also mean the great variety in playing styles in the top would disappear I'm afraid.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Maybe athleticism would become more important than finesse. I guess it would make the sport better to watch for outsiders, but it would also mean the great variety in playing styles in the top would disappear I'm afraid.

I agree guys, rallies could become longer as there will be less fast balls. For example, this new ball would stop Ma Lin's third ball attack as often I think.

Fitness would become so essiential to the sport, and yes it would definately change the dynamics of the game. Would be great to know who actually decides on all these rules etc lol

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
nice video...i wonder if they will be using it this year...by viewing the video, i think the ball is larger than the old 40 mm balls that we're playing with...what's the size by the way??

If I remember it is 1 or 2 mm bigger Bishop

This happend after the speed glue ban...one of the reasons why china became so strong.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
This happend after the speed glue ban...one of the reasons why china became so strong.

Good point the_M .... has the speed glue ban really helped the rest of the World catch up to China, I don't think it has. China will adapt to anything that is thrown at them due to the ridiculous, sickening training hours they persist and put in.

says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
yea i think ur right would be more athletic and more effort involved, in a way might be good to make it more traditional so rallies are longer, obviously players technique style would still very but yea might make everyone play bit more similar

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Good point the_M .... has the speed glue ban really helped the rest of the World catch up to China, I don't think it has. China will adapt to anything that is thrown at them due to the ridiculous, sickening training hours they persist and put in.

No dan i think u misuderstood the_M i think hes sayin that because of it china were more dominant...although i dont think the ban made any difference to the level abilities the
_M

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
No dan i think u misuderstood the_M i think hes sayin that because of it china were more dominant...although i dont think the ban made any difference to the level abilities the
_M

Ah yeah true :) .. No difference has been made except China's dominance, Many players me and Matt Hetherington have interviewed all seemed to like the speed glue ban. Who knows if players like Timo Boll hadn't been injured the gap could have been closer... What is the release date for these balls?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I agree guys, rallies could become longer as there will be less fast balls. For example, this new ball would stop Ma Lin's third ball attack as often I think.

Fitness would become so essiential to the sport, and yes it would definately change the dynamics of the game. Would be great to know who actually decides on all these rules etc lol

I think the committee with Samsonov as chairman (I forgot the name of the committee :p) should have a say in this. They can define what characteristics a new ball should have more than any other group within the ITTF. Also I'm not sure if it will help China much. You shouldn't underestimate their spin variation and service capabilities in what makes them so good. They use spin and deception to set up shots for themselves that they can kill. But I think the serving and spin variation is at least as important for them as their pure power. They will suffer from a new ball too.

Another possibility to make the impact of the ball not as bad as it seems now, could be rubbers. All brands are still developing rubbers to suit the glue ban, but maybe they will change to produce rubbers that are tackier to suit the new ball as well. Together with the fact that the introduction is still 2 years away if I'm right, I don't think the new ball will eventually be as bad for the sport as it may seem now.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I think the committee with Samsonov as chairman (I forgot the name of the committee :p) should have a say in this. They can define what characteristics a new ball should have more than any other group within the ITTF. Also I'm not sure if it will help China much. You shouldn't underestimate their spin variation and service capabilities in what makes them so good. They use spin and deception to set up shots for themselves that they can kill. But I think the serving and spin variation is at least as important for them as their pure power. They will suffer from a new ball too.

Another possibility to make the impact of the ball not as bad as it seems now, could be rubbers. All brands are still developing rubbers to suit the glue ban, but maybe they will change to produce rubbers that are tackier to suit the new ball as well. Together with the fact that the introduction is still 2 years away if I'm right, I don't think the new ball will eventually be as bad for the sport as it may seem now.

Yeah very true there WiWa, I think the players are testing these balls to give the ITTF an idea on what they need to produce. Good points covered again, companies will have to adapt again, with technology rapidly advancing I'm sure they will come up with something.

i dont like the sound of these new balls

Yeah! The noise is real bad! I had a big plastic ball (Fun Ball) from Joola once, reminds me of that! This ball is still in the testing phase, i'm sure updates will be made, like WiWa is saying :)

William Henzell has sent me a ball which arrived in the post yesterday, I will make a review shortly for you all :)