This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
We've got just over 2 years to get used to the idea - the new balls come into effect on July 1, 2014. We're doing some filming on Tuesday and I'm planning to make a more in-depth video about the difference in spin and bounce between new and old.

Reactions: Dan and YosuaYosan
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If I remember it is 1 or 2 mm bigger Bishop

1 or 2 mm bigger is huge. I am glad that this info is not accurate. Dan I think you might have meant 0.1 or 0.2 mm bigger. :)

I think that what they have done is decreased the potential variation in ball size that will be allowed. I think the ball can vary from something like 39.5 mm to 40.5 mm and I think the new ball will only be able to vary from 39.8 mm to 40.2 mm. I am not sure and I cannot remember where I saw the numbers but it was not that they were making a 41 mm ball or a 42 mm ball. That would be a really big difference.

Reactions: Dan
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
We've got just over 2 years to get used to the idea - the new balls come into effect on July 1, 2014. We're doing some filming on Tuesday and I'm planning to make a more in-depth video about the difference in spin and bounce between new and old.

William, is the difference in size noticeable?

Are they working on making the ball better, or is it basically what it is now in terms of how it plays? Do you know?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews

Great stuff Sir :D
I will eagerly wait for it :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I didn't really notice a difference in size. The ITTF Athletes Commission will make sure they work hard to make it better. My feedback will be that it was nowhere near durable enough. I doubt the way it plays will change too much, however I would expect the plastic to become a little softer which would changes things a little. The harder you make the plastic the faster it will break.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
1 or 2 mm bigger is huge. I am glad that this info is not accurate. Dan I think you might have meant 0.1 or 0.2 mm bigger. :)

I think that what they have done is decreased the potential variation in ball size that will be allowed. I think the ball can vary from something like 39.5 mm to 40.5 mm and I think the new ball will only be able to vary from 39.8 mm to 40.2 mm. I am not sure and I cannot remember where I saw the numbers but it was not that they were making a 41 mm ball or a 42 mm ball. That would be a really big difference.

Hi Carl :)

Sorry I didnt mean that drastic of a difference, I cannot remember where I heard it either, but I remember someone saying there will be a very small change in size due to the nature of the balls. I think it was Adham Sharara in a video somewhere..

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews

I'm looking forward to this William :)

I will make a little review soon to :)

It would be cool if you could get some of the Chinese players to have a hit with the new balls in the training hall of a tournament. Would be interesting to see their reactions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Oooh, thats good.. 2 years..
I can get better now with old balls and hope to adapt to new ones then.. :)
The sound is really different, but we will get used to it too..
More than the sound of the table I love the sound of nice topspin shot, the sound from the bounce from the rubber..
Clean click is just a paradise music to me, hehe.. :)
Who knows, what sound this will make during a topspin shot..?