Opinions on my setup

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Sounds like a setup for a high-level player. T11 is quite fast and the 40 deg H3 requires good technique.

Otherwise it's a pretty standard setup - composite blade, hard dhs fh rubber and soft esn bh.

Reactions: SamTheMan
Sounds like a setup for a high-level player. T11 is quite fast and the 40 deg H3 requires good technique.

Otherwise it's a pretty standard setup - composite blade, hard dhs fh rubber and soft esn bh.

im planning to change my FH from dhs h3 neo to andro gtt 40 or 45, is it any good?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
not necessarily. Its probably fine setup. If you are strong enough, you can use H3 on forehand. but if its too slow for you, you may need to boost it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
My Advice...??? Unless you be using that H3 for soft topspin defense, you are on track to be giving doctors and physios a LOT of future business with rotator cuff injury diagnosis and treatment... you might be on the fast track to VIP premium membership.

Where is the advice?
Unless you back that statement up with some context and sense, all i read is some confused nonsense.

@ralph i need to go with Tony here. Unless you show us some gameplay or more context of what you think your level of play is, we cant rate much here.

My understanding of intermediate to advanced is around 1600-1800 germen TTR which would be probably someone more capable than me, just for reference

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have been accused of worse. OK Attitude, you asked fairly, I give a plain answer. Get rid of H3 while the player is still healthy, it just isn't worth it for many.

If a player is aspiring to be a powerful offensive player (which the big majority who buy H3 are) and slaps H3 on the FH... potential for shoulder injury is larger, more frequent the better one gets. Why? One must REALLY bring a powerful impact to get the great offensive potential out of it. It requires professional help and supervision and years of training to get that kind of bat speed and impact. The stroke needs to be near optimal to get that impact. The ones who are trained by former high level Chinese players usually get this impact after so many years training under them.

The ones who do not do this training and develop an efficient stroke and ability to deliver power at impact... they try hard, real hard, like 130%... and with an inefficient stroke, the stress on the weak link adds up... that weak link is the shoulder, sometimes the wrist. under-trained H3 players going for it all after so many months or years end up jacking up their shoulders.

It is even worse with the years to decades long H3 FH playing players who are TTR 1800+... The latest ABS ball requires another 10-20% more power at impact to get what they got from a cellulose 40mm ball...so they swing harder, even with great efficient stroke, there is still stress, that extra all out effort impact after impact adds up, especially at that level where the player already learned how to deliver huge impact force and is going for more.

That is my argument against starting out a playing career using H3. if a player isn't gunna go constantly for max+ shots, sure, use it all day long. Otherwise, it isn't worth the risk IMO.

We should here Sergey the Tsos opinion on this, as he is a renown H3 expert.

Reactions: Kolev
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
I didnt accuse you. I critisized your statement, because it lacked every foundation for an arguement and therefore was not helpfull.

In generall i cant even argue here because you are right. But we lack information to tell that ralph the way you did, imo. We dont know his level of fitness, his skills in table tennis over all and dont even know if he is boosting his rubber or how hard his H3 is. All these factors play role of how hard he MIGHT is putting a strain on his shoulders with his equipment.

Famous example here: Ma Long had a really bad shoulder injury beside his knee and wrists and neck.
But if you compare his technique to someone like FZD you will see that Ma Long has a way longer swing. He bends his arm and shoulder way more behind is body than nearly everyone else i saw playing this sport.
Another factor here is the frame of someones body, which we dont know either from ralph. Someone more compact and more stable/more trained is not that likely to injure themselves.

So overall many variables here even though in terms of tendencies you are probably right.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
In generall i cant even argue here because you are right. But we lack information to tell that ralph the way you did, imo. We dont know his level of fitness, his skills in table tennis over all and dont even know if he is boosting his rubber or how hard his H3 is. All these factors play role of how hard he MIGHT is putting a strain on his shoulders with his equipment.

The OP says he has 40 degrees H3.

The one piece of data we have about Ralph other than his setup is that he posted on a forum to ask if people thought his equipment was okay. That suggests (doesn't prove!) that Ralph does not have a relationship with a coach. Ralph, if you do have a coach ask him, not us.

Asking for general advice about a setup also suggests that he is relatively less experienced as a table tennis player (again, does not prove).

Uncoached internediate players using 40 degrees H3 (boosted or not unknown) sounds kind of risky and less than optimal. I think that's where Der was coming from. If we had video of some forehands the advice would be a lot more reliable. But when posters ask for advice people give it to them using whatever information they provide.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

I didnt accuse you. I critisized your statement, because it lacked every foundation for an arguement and therefore was not helpfull.

Yes, correct. The first comment I made I had zero intention of providing a foundation for an argument. What was it then? Sarcasm.

We have threads like these on the forums like every damn week.

HEY EVERYONE !!! I am intermediately player and I have a really ridiculously fast carbon blade that a pro might not ever consider to use and I use an offensive rubber... What do you think of my setup????

OK, if you see this a hundred times in 2022 alone, maybe the first response would be to simply not comment, but if a reasonable person commented, he or she might be inclined towards sarcasm. This particularly so for H3.

It would have easy to just say that H3 requires skills to learn how to operate at top speed and that you may harm yourself trying to operate it that way... but I decided to say the same thing and be interesting.

OK, I am guilty of sarcasm, send me to the judge to face off against the ranks of the Goon Squad so they can chase me down. In my current state, I wont run very far, so I will turn around and face them.

hi guys, im sorry if my post caused you some kind of arguments haha. i was just asking for advice; anyhow, i dont have a coach, and yes i know that h3 neo needs more of a good technique and power to get efficient results that's why im leaning to changing my forehand. i have used this setup for around 2 weeks and i seem to be getting more tired after playing because of my forehand.

and about that intermediate-advanced level player, im not that actually sure haha, maybe im beginner-intermediate, i know an average knowledge of the fundamentals (forehand, backhand, push, dig, chop) of the game.

maybe ill change my forehand to andro gtt40/45 or xiom sigma euro 2... im on tight budget so.. haha.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
ralph,

You got the same start in TT that I did - no coach, but you have players near you and I had to drive a car 3 hrs to find TT action. You love TT obviously and you can do a lot in this sport given some time and a better TT environment. Even if some joker like me gets a little sarcastic, earnestly ask about things that interest or matter to you. TT forums like this, if you can filter out bullcrap can give a player insight and support. In the era before internet and forums, it was 100x more difficult to find and interact with fellow TT players.

You get any of the control oriented modern dynamic offensive rubbers in a firmness you can handle and you will be doing about the best you can for equipment.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Yes, correct. The first comment I made I had zero intention of providing a foundation for an argument. What was it then? Sarcasm.

We have threads like these on the forums like every damn week.

HEY EVERYONE !!! I am intermediately player and I have a really ridiculously fast carbon blade that a pro might not ever consider to use and I use an offensive rubber... What do you think of my setup????

OK, if you see this a hundred times in 2022 alone, maybe the first response would be to simply not comment, but if a reasonable person commented, he or she might be inclined towards sarcasm. This particularly so for H3.

It would have easy to just say that H3 requires skills to learn how to operate at top speed and that you may harm yourself trying to operate it that way... but I decided to say the same thing and be interesting.

OK, I am guilty of sarcasm, send me to the judge to face off against the ranks of the Goon Squad so they can chase me down. In my current state, I wont run very far, so I will turn around and face them.

No need for jury and judges because a) you are correct and b) it can all be fixed by buying us all a beer 😁

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you do want advice that more accurately reflects your needs, you should probably post some video footage so people can see how you play.

It is hard to give advice to someone when you have not seen how they actually play. And a written description never really gives accurate information about how someone plays. Someone who knows what they are looking at, seeing how you contact the ball, whether your contact is more direct or more tangential, the quality of your shot production, the level of spin you are putting on the ball, how you read and respond to the incoming ball.....there are so many factors that can't be put into words that someone who knows what they are looking at will see if you do post footage. And that kind of information would make it so there would be a few on this thread who could give you an idea of what kind of blade and rubbers would best suit how you are playing. Without it, it is a little like me asking you if you can tell me what size my shoes are. How would you be able to tell without the ability to see or measure my feet? :)