Alternative to TB Spirit

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Im thinking of getting a spare(ejing with rubbers) blade to my current TB Spirit – as its not made anymore I could just go down the Butterfly route of Viscaria/TB ALC/etc – but wondered if there were any other options that are very similar Butterfly or other brands (Xiom brand interests me). I have the TBS in the ST handle and I really like it so something similar handle wise is a must.

One of the reason I'm not sure about getting the TB ALC as its said to be a notch faster and I don't really want/need anything faster really. I have a Korbel too but really like the TB Spirit and the carbon feel. I usually just stick with Butterfly stuff as know them have used them more - and kinda know what to expect.

Just to add: I had previously a Harimoto ALC but just never quite liked it as much so ideally not and inner carbon, or heavier blade.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Viscaria is basically a TBS, but with a bit more feedback and flex. I guess the feedback is just a preference thing, but the flex will make it a bit better for looping and a bit softer in the short game. XIOM has the 36.5, which is again the same exact structure as VIS/TBS, but reviews comparing it to VIS say it has a little more touch in the short game and maybe a little more flex on loops. Might be worth a try, if you are looking to change it up. The high end XIOM stuff is always nicely finished, and the price point is certainly better than Butterfly. Tabletennis11 has a good price on it even before their volume discounts.

Also, the butterfly shop says that TBS will be back in stock late July, if you are willing to wait. Unless you have an older version that is truly out of production?

Reactions: jammmail
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Jammmail... maybe better for the EJ urge and better for local economy to try out coordinating a custom made blade with any of the blade makers who post here... You can get the weight, balance, handle shape/size and just about anything else you define done right... and prolly for LESS money than a Viscaria...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Also, when people look to get something similar to a favourite old blade, this is a biy like looking to replace your most comfortable pair of shoes. Nothing will feel the same and even blades that have the same construction may well feel completely different.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Also, when people look to get something similar to a favourite old blade, this is a biy like looking to replace your most comfortable pair of shoes. Nothing will feel the same and even blades that have the same construction may well feel completely different.

Yes your right. I know it’s not going to be exactly the same, especially as it’s a good few years old so will feel different to a brand new blade even if it was the same model.
I guess the main thing is the butterfly new version is the TB ALC - but most people say it’s a touch faster, which ideally isn’t something I need really.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Jammmail... maybe better for the EJ urge and better for local economy to try out coordinating a custom made blade with any of the blade makers who post here... You can get the weight, balance, handle shape/size and just about anything else you define done right... and prolly for LESS money than a Viscaria...

Haha yes Der Echte - your probably right 😂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Viscaria is basically a TBS, but with a bit more feedback and flex. I guess the feedback is just a preference thing, but the flex will make it a bit better for looping and a bit softer in the short game. XIOM has the 36.5, which is again the same exact structure as VIS/TBS, but reviews comparing it to VIS say it has a little more touch in the short game and maybe a little more flex on loops. Might be worth a try, if you are looking to change it up. The high end XIOM stuff is always nicely finished, and the price point is certainly better than Butterfly. Tabletennis11 has a good price on it even before their volume discounts.

Also, the butterfly shop says that TBS will be back in stock late July, if you are willing to wait. Unless you have an older version that is truly out of production?

Yeah. I’ve always quite liked the viscaria when I’ved tried other peoples and is a classic so can’t go wrong really.

the Xiom blades you mention are interesting. I was looking at the Calderano blades - are they a similar construction? I take it ‘I’ in Xiom blades means inner? Lastly do you know what the ST handle is like for Xiom blades is it square or rounded?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020

Yes your right. I know it’s not going to be exactly the same, especially as it’s a good few years old so will feel different to a brand new blade even if it was the same model.
I guess the main thing is the butterfly new version is the TB ALC - but most people say it’s a touch faster, which ideally isn’t something I need really.

Yeah, I think it's especially the case with years-old, out of production carbon blades that they evolve how they feel. I also had a TBS for about 3 years and absolutely loved it. After it broke I couldn't find anything similar and all the carbon blades I tried felt completely uncontrollable. Ended up getting something all wood instead.

(sorry, all a bit off-topic since you still have your main bladw)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Haha yes Der Echte - your probably right 😂

I do not know if I am right or even how right, but the last two custom blades I got and used for 6 months plus each (The Mass Annihilation Unit and the Mandalorian) were total custom job where I specified certain things, and endstate of feel and performance and the maker did a lot of interpreting on their own.

Facts I KNOW are that it is damn impossible to find that with name blades, impossible to get the handle to the right size for me (thicker, longer) impossible to get it for the price. In fact, I got BOTH those custom blades for the current going price of one Viscaria. These are real hot shot true OFF blades I got, I know that for a fact.

Some of the custom blades are so epic, I make mighty sounding names for them to give some glory to the blade maker.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018

Yeah, I think it's especially the case with years-old, out of production carbon blades that they evolve how they feel. I also had a TBS for about 3 years and absolutely loved it. After it broke I couldn't find anything similar and all the carbon blades I tried felt completely uncontrollable. Ended up getting something all wood instead.

(sorry, all a bit off-topic since you still have your main bladw)

No thats no problem - what wood blade did you change to btw?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018

I do not know if I am right or even how right, but the last two custom blades I got and used for 6 months plus each (The Mass Annihilation Unit and the Mandalorian) were total custom job where I specified certain things, and endstate of feel and performance and the maker did a lot of interpreting on their own.

Facts I KNOW are that it is damn impossible to find that with name blades, impossible to get the handle to the right size for me (thicker, longer) impossible to get it for the price. In fact, I got BOTH those custom blades for the current going price of one Viscaria. These are real hot shot true OFF blades I got, I know that for a fact.

Some of the custom blades are so epic, I make mighty sounding names for them to give some glory to the blade maker.

Yes theres some very talented blade makers on here - the problem then is all the possibilities, its almost harder to decide when theres a blank piece of paper in front of you. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Hi Jammail,

Have you tried Andro Trieber CO (Formerly Trieber K) ? I played with it a couple of days back, and found it similar'ish to TBALC, but just a hair slower..

If you want a cheaper Chinese one, then Yinhe has a blade that supposed to be pretty close to TB Spirit.. I can't recollect the exact name.. it's either DK-4-ALC or Carbokev K-4 ..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Hi Jammail,

Have you tried Andro Trieber CO (Formerly Trieber K) ? I played with it a couple of days back, and found it similar'ish to TBALC, but just a hair slower..

If you want a cheaper Chinese one, then Yinhe has a blade that supposed to be pretty close to TB Spirit.. I can't recollect the exact name.. it's either DK-4-ALC or Carbokev K-4 ..

I havent - I did try a Trieber Z a good few years ago and remember it being a nice blade. Will check it out thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Jia Nan YUAN has switched from her trusty TB Spirit she's used for a long time to a Viscaria, with much success.