Had a forehand loop revelation

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Different ways of thinking can produce individual results in the body for each player. It's great to try and think about things from a new angle and experiment! So this way of thinking about the stroke could have unlocked a new feeling for you.

But for most players this is the completely disconnected, backwards way to approach the stroke. Your arm should swing because of the momentum from the unwinding weight throw in the hips and core, not on its own using shoulder and arm muscles then combined with a separate lower body motion.

Very well said!! I saw so many people doing the same thing. They seem to do everything needed, the arm swing is there, lower body motion and weight transfer are there, but they are so disconnected. IMO when you focus too much on your arm motion, the stroke will be stiff and less efficient. When you learn the basic FH topspin, just let the arm follow the body swing, shoulder and arm muscle do very little work, don’t try too hard for power but try to feel the movement flow and focus on consistency. At higher level you need to use more muscle to create power but only after you master the basic stroke.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Wow, that may be the lowest-quality video ever uploaded. LOL, said with love. It's just really dark and your arm goes into the shadow of your body and disappears.

So this feedback is based on not being able to see you, take it fwiw.

It doesn't look like your elbow opens or closes at all. Or very little. So not a lot of forearm snap.

About the tension, maybe you are thinking about hitting the ball hard or putting a lot on it? I find this intention alone will make me tense up and completely defeats the objective of making a strong shot. It's the Backwards Rule in full effect.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Here is a new FH video. I try to use the forearm snap more but I still have trouble relaxing while I hit, not sure why I'm always tense
​​​​​​
https://youtube.com/shorts/g7ZnzVy2ct8?feature=share
It looks like you are trying to execute a slow drive with different angle to make it topspin, but I think it does not work that way.

I am a beginner as well, but I made quite a good progress learning top spin, by not trying to hit the ball at all, but rather imagining an angled wall that is drawn by your racket movement plane that will make the ball bounce off it and gain spin.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G998B mit Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Unfortunately the plates are in a semi closed room so it is kinda dark there:). I try to get some lighting next time

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Unfortunately the plates are in a semi closed room so it is kinda dark there:). I try to get some lighting next time
The issue is the camera is behind you and it is pointing directly into the Natural Light Source (the world outside your garage). In photography, they call that "BACKLIGHTING", which makes it so you can't see the subject that is between the camera and the light source.

To me, in the video, it looks like you are way way way way overthinking things.

Take the robot, make the time between balls much shorter so you have to reset and stroke 3-4 times faster and just go through as many balls as you can. If you are going fast enough (stroke, reset, stroke, reset, without all that time in between shots) you may stop thinking and start grooving the stroke. But in this video, I feel like I can see you trying to think about the mechanics so much that it is getting in the way of you performing the mechanics.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Take the robot, make the time between balls much shorter so you have to reset and stroke 3-4 times faster and just go through as many balls as you can. If you are going fast enough (stroke, reset, stroke, reset, without all that time in between shots) you may stop thinking and start grooving the stroke. But in this video, I feel like I can see you trying to think about the mechanics so much that it is getting in the way of you performing the mechanics.
+1
The robot feed looks abnormal, not sure if it is because it is super slow or what.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
The robot is 18 dollars from aliexpress, it doesn't have extra gears or spin variations:).

Maybe I can get a second one so it feeds twice as quickly
​​​​

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
The robot is 18 dollars from aliexpress, it doesn't have extra gears or spin variations:).

​​​​

You can solve the problem Carl is talking about with your mind and not have to change the robot. Don't try to control your body with thoughts. It doesn't work like that. Alternatively, try to control your breathing or heartbeat with conscious thoughts and see how messed up it gets.

**Please don't die during this experiment!**

The feed may be a little weird but that shouldn't matter much. If you relax and simply observe what your body does and what happens to the ball, without thinking about it.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Maybe that's just me, but once upon a time I found Brett Clarke's "forehand topspin like a boss" snippets very instructive — focused on the full body mechanics involved. A bear is used, as are golf clubs, but no animals were harmed. Brett Clarke Forehand Topspin Like a Boss

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

​​​​

So is that the highest frequency of ball feed?

Is the robot on the table? it looks like a very high arc, maybe that is why it is causing a funny feed feeling, but our camera angle is on the floor.

Regarding the time issue, maybe you can hit one shot, follow with 1 or 2 more shadow hits (with that speed, maybe you can fit in 3), before going with that robot feed FH
that 1 or 2, I suggest to do BH shots etc.

The idea is your shots need to be continuous, if you wait for the ball, then many things could go wrong.