Back to Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 508 1,132
    B
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,132 508

User Info Menu

basically, any extra motion after the ball has left the paddle doesn't affect the trajectory of the ball and the goal of any extra motion should be to get ready for the next stroke,

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 5
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 5 0

User Info Menu

Jun 2022
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    Guys, I have to thank you for advice and videos, I've had the same question. Gratitude!

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 90 189
    I
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 189 90

User Info Menu

Mar 2014
    Vietnam
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JediJesseS
    Different ways of thinking can produce individual results in the body for each player. It's great to try and think about things from a new angle and experiment! So this way of thinking about the stroke could have unlocked a new feeling for you.

But for most players this is the completely disconnected, backwards way to approach the stroke. Your arm should swing because of the momentum from the unwinding weight throw in the hips and core, not on its own using shoulder and arm muscles then combined with a separate lower body motion.

Very well said!! I saw so many people doing the same thing. They seem to do everything needed, the arm swing is there, lower body motion and weight transfer are there, but they are so disconnected. IMO when you focus too much on your arm motion, the stroke will be stiff and less efficient. When you learn the basic FH topspin, just let the arm follow the body swing, shoulder and arm muscle do very little work, don’t try too hard for power but try to feel the movement flow and focus on consistency. At higher level you need to use more muscle to create power but only after you master the basic stroke.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12