H
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 5 0

User Info Menu

Jan 2022
    Taiwan
    Read 0 Reviews

New Chopper Equipment

I want to pick up a defensive setup to play with. I'm going with short pips because my BH has always been my weapon and I still want to be able to put away loose balls with it. Plus I've already chopped with inverted and don't really want to learn how to use long pips. Will be mostly chopping with some fishing and counterattacking on the FH. Couple questions:

1) Victas Spectol S1 or Spinpips D3 in 1.5 on BH?

2) On the FH side, do people generally prefer tacky or non tacky for chopping? I'm assuming hard sponge is preferable either way right? Was looking at Hurricane 8 and Victas 401 but the 401 is double the price of Hurricane...

3) Blade wise was between Donic Defplay Senso and Tibhar Stratus Power Defense. I have smaller hands though and the Tibhar's handle looks pretty thick.
    Last edited by Hayashi; 06-30-2022 at 12:52 AM.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,018 1,680
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,680 1,018
    I am a defender and have played a few blades including TSP Koji def, Butterfly Dion V, Donic Defplay and my current favourite- Victas Koji offensive.

The general principle about pips is this. The more spin potential, the less deception, but the more attack potential.

If you chop well with inverted, spectol is a good choice. Spinpip is too similar to inverted.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 71 257
    O
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 257 71

User Info Menu

Mar 2022
    Europe
    Read 0 Reviews
    I have small hands too and the Donic straight handles are definitely the right thing, easy for twiddling because their design is more round-ish than oval-like Tibhar handles. Also, the feeling of senso straight handles is awesome, as a blocker/counter initiative player I LOVE them. Go for the Donic DefPlay Senso !

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 5
    H
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 5 0

User Info Menu

Jan 2022
    Taiwan
    Read 0 Reviews

From what I understand the tradeoff is that Spectol will be less spin sensitive while Spinpips will be able to generate heavier spin. I'm still leaning towards the Spinpips as they were designed with chopping in mind, formerly known as TSP Super Spinpips Chop 2. The dampening sponge sounds great, but I am a little worried it would be too slow to kill loose balls.

On the FH side, I'm now in between DHS Hurricane 8-80 and Nittaku Sieger PK50. If anyone has experience with either, I'd appreciate the insight.

Last edited by Hayashi; 06-30-2022 at 09:53 PM.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 39 55
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 55 39
    Currently I'm playing with Spinpips D3 2.0mm, using them on a Koki Niwa blade. Pretty spinny short pips, recommended for defense on and far from the table. Can be fast for a hit on the table so +1 on Spinpips.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,018 1,680
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,680 1,018
    H8-80 gives you very clear feedback and is easy to execute. The topsheet is not as tacky as H3. That's a good news because it ensures sufficient speed.

I think H8-80 is a good rubber to begin with.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 5
    H
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 5 0

User Info Menu

Jan 2022
    Taiwan
    Read 0 Reviews
    What about Donic Bluefire JP/Donic Baracuda?

says https://sunrisetabletennis.com

TTD Member 24 50
    says https://sunrisetabletennis.com

TTD Member 50 24

User Info Menu

Oct 2016
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    I use Yinhe Moon Pro on forehand and Curl P4 on 1.2 sponge, blade is TTL Dictator.

From my experience grippy long pips with thicker sponge and spinny short pips can be hard to keep chops from popping up against high spin players. Either arm speed and timing need to be very good or use a less grippy/spinny pip or thin sponge. Grippy/spinny pips works great against players that don't spin the ball since you can add/create some spin. I usually twiddle to inverted to attack but you can attack underspin with LP's.

Tacky forehand rubbers are good on thin sponge. 2.2 is great for topspin but again can be hard to use for chop.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 3,025 4,572
    T
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 4,572 3,025

User Info Menu

Sep 2013
    South Africa
    Read 3 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayashi

From what I understand the tradeoff is that Spectol will be less spin sensitive while Spinpips will be able to generate heavier spin. I'm still leaning towards the Spinpips as they were designed with chopping in mind, formerly known as TSP Super Spinpips Chop 2. The dampening sponge sounds great, but I am a little worried it would be too slow to kill loose balls.

On the FH side, I'm now in between DHS Hurricane 8-80 and Nittaku Sieger PK50. If anyone has experience with either, I'd appreciate the insight.

TSP Super spin pips + 1
    I would go conventional H3 provincial blue sponge on FH

Blade, if you don't want DEF speed, can also look at Stiga Defense Pro, which has a thin layer of carbon for a bit more kick.
    Otherwise, traditional DEF blades are too flex and weak for attacking.

TTT