Butterfly Primorac 2017 version still good?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Is the newest Primorac blade version still worth buying? I´ve read many times people recommend it to new players. On the other hand I read also often that the "new" version is very bad compared to old ones?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have heard lots of things. The Primorac is still a good blade. I have also heard that the ones made in Japan are better than the ones made in Europe. So, you could try to get one of the ones that say "Made in Japan".

But there is also a Gewo blade that is very similar to the Primorac (same wood plies) and it is a little less expensive but an excellent blade. Maybe someone knows which Gewo blade is a clone of the Primorac. I just can never remember the name of the blade.

But, if you are in Europe, the Gewo blade should be easy to get your hands on and it should be less expensive than the Primorac if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Marc

NDH

says Spin to win!
Is the newest Primorac blade version still worth buying? I´ve read many times people recommend it to new players. On the other hand I read also often that the "new" version is very bad compared to old ones?

I see these kinds of comments a lot, and it’s easy to see why when you start looking into it online.

Unfortunately (and table tennis forums aren’t alone here), random peoples opinions carry far too much weight, and Chinese whispers are rampant (in case “Chinese Whispers” isn’t a universal term, it means when something is said, and then repeated by others, but the meaning slightly changed with each repetition).

Why are people saying the “new” Primorac isn’t as good?

Why do people put the Butterfly “Black Tag” blades on such a high pedestal?

Personally, I wouldn’t listen to any of it.

It’s worth remembering that the Primorac is a great recommendation to players who are relatively new to the sport, and not particularly experienced.

I doubt for one minute that they’d be able to tell the difference between lots of similar blades, and certainly wouldn’t have a clue between the “old” Primorac and the “new” Primorac - If there is even a difference.

The Korbel seems to be recommended in place of the Primorac these days because it’s ever so slightly quicker, which balances out the slightly slower game we are playing, compared with the Cellular era balls of 20 years ago.

I also think the increase in “tacky/Chinese” rubbers for beginners (in Europe) has contributed to the increase in recommendations of the Korbel over the Primorac. Again, just to give a little speed back.

That is a really long way of saying…… The Primorac will be absolutely fine. So will the Gewo that Carl said, or pretty much any, good, all around blade for a new/improving player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

For most new players, any allround blade is a good start to learn technique.
I haven't really heard of a bad allround blade before.

It is normally a "picking" specific blades after your first allround blade.

So I would agree with the 2 great minds above that Primorac or Gewo Allround Classis, or any other allround blade from reputable blade makers is sufficient for the task on hand.

On the scale of things, the coach weighs a lot more than the blade.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Gewo "clone" that Carl can't remember name is Zoom Pro Off-
Excellent blade, shame it's not that cheap as it used to be, probably someone from Gewo read all recommendations and increased the price :)
If you don't mind spending more money there is OSP Virtuoso -
Bit faster: Korbel, Xiom Offensive S or Virtuoso +
If you're new to the game you won't make mistake if you go for Zoom Pro Off-

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Excellent blade, shame it's not that cheap as it used to be, probably someone from Gewo read all recommendations and increased the price :)

Thanks Kontra. Yeah. Zoom Pro Off-.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
I think for a beginner, Yasaka Sweden Extra is very good. I think it is better than Primorac Off-, for one thing: Extra is a bit thicker than Primorac Off-, thus better for the current bigger ball.

However, regarding the thickness of Primorac Off-, Japanese catalog lists it as 5.5 mm in thickness (IIRC), but I once had European Primorac and it is as thick as my Japanese Korbel (5.9 mm). So I guess if you can get 5.9 mm Primorac Off- (European version), I think it is better. So you can either choose Yasaka Sweden Extra or European Primorac Off-.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews

$35 it's not cheap?
https://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=gewo-zoom-pro-offm

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl