Back to Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. PingBirdPong is offline
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)
     
    Senior TTD Member 383 714
    PingBirdPong's Avatar
    PingBirdPong is offline
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)
     
    Senior TTD Member 714 383
    #1

    Exam that décides my fate

    Hi, I’m about to go and take the Chinese Middle school academic exams(中考). It lasts three days, and the result will decide where I go in life. It’s like the SATs for the US,but a lot more influential.
    Wish me luck!

    The Following 5 Users Like PingBirdPong's Post:

    DukeGaGa, jammmail and 3 others


  2. lodro is online now
    says TT-CLOWN, old git
     
    Elite TTD Member 487 1,338
    L
    lodro is online now
    says TT-CLOWN, old git
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,338 487

    User Info Menu

    #2
    old german saying :" Remember that no soup is ever eaten as hot as it is brought to the table"

    This exam you have might shape the path you will be able to take in your life BUT you will still
    have a good life and of course you will still play ping pong

    The Following 3 Users Like lodro's Post:

    mihalichtheone, PingBirdPong and 1 other


  3. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,642 11,447
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,447 11,642

    User Info Menu

    #3
    More power to you Bird.

    One thing you see in USA, with individuals, families, and groups who want to become economically affluent (or at least get a decent standard of living) is that Skills, Hard Work, and Savings are required. Often, you see the Asians in USA doing WAY better than the rest of the general population in this regard. It comes down to family and parental vision along with the work of the child.

    This sounds a lot like no shyt Sherlock stuff to Asians, who culturally do this since way ago, but in USA (even though we WERE like this 100-150 yrs ago) it is a wierd, foreign or alien concept.

    Skills... acquire skills that are in demand and pay well. University not needed, but the highest paying one require specialized degree. Most USA people waste $250,000 on something that is virtually unemployable, like ethnic studies or English... but the Asians in USA... just about any Asian nation you can think of, when they go to USA, will have the parents of kids ensure their kids study Medicine, electrical/software engineering, Physics/Chemistry... you get the idea, the stuff that is IMMEDIATELY employable in demand at a high pay and it goes up. You see 70%+ of these subjects dominated by Asians for good reasons - parental vision/support for child and the achievement of the child.

    Hard Work - When you get employed, you work WAY harder than everyone else... Skills and hard work will take you a lot of places. Americans USED to be mainly like that, but with so much fatherlessness since the 1960s, we see a huge shift in work ethic and achievement. Welfare did that. We could credit Biden, but it was LBJ and Co.

    Savings - Asians (especially the Korean wife) are NOTORIOUS scrooges when it comes to saving. What good is all that income if you blow it all away on needless crap. it comes down to making good decisions on what you NEED and buy only what you need and do NOT buy stuff that breaks and makes you spend that money again. USA USED to be real good at that, but now, real crappy overall. When I was in the Army, I would see time and time again 18-21 yr olds coming in, you do not get big money at that age and rank, but it is something... but these kids of last few generations and now BLOW IT ALL AWAY on a car... but that isn't enough, they gotta buy a $5000 loud stereo... then HUGE wheels, then a lift kit and window treatment. Next thing U know, 3 yrs later, car is towed away reposessed, because kid cannot keep up with the 8 loans he took out to fund those projects.

    The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

    Takkyu_wa_inochi

    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  4. Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 518 803
    Gozo's Avatar
    Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 803 518
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by PingBirdPong
    Hi, I’m about to go and take the Chinese Middle school academic exams(中考). It lasts three days, and the result will decide where I go in life. It’s like the SATs for the US,but a lot more influential.
    Wish me luck!
    Go get em tiger. Come back to TT after this for more excitement in life. 😁

  5. Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 518 803
    Gozo's Avatar
    Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 803 518
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Der_Echte
    More power to you Bird.

    One thing you see in USA, with individuals, families, and groups who want to become economically affluent (or at least get a decent standard of living) is that Skills, Hard Work, and Savings are required. Often, you see the Asians in USA doing WAY better than the rest of the general population in this regard. It comes down to family and parental vision along with the work of the child.

    This sounds a lot like no shyt Sherlock stuff to Asians, who culturally do this since way ago, but in USA (even though we WERE like this 100-150 yrs ago) it is a wierd, foreign or alien concept.

    Skills... acquire skills that are in demand and pay well. University not needed, but the highest paying one require specialized degree. Most USA people waste $250,000 on something that is virtually unemployable, like ethnic studies or English... but the Asians in USA... just about any Asian nation you can think of, when they go to USA, will have the parents of kids ensure their kids study Medicine, electrical/software engineering, Physics/Chemistry... you get the idea, the stuff that is IMMEDIATELY employable in demand at a high pay and it goes up. You see 70%+ of these subjects dominated by Asians for good reasons - parental vision/support for child and the achievement of the child.

    Hard Work - When you get employed, you work WAY harder than everyone else... Skills and hard work will take you a lot of places. Americans USED to be mainly like that, but with so much fatherlessness since the 1960s, we see a huge shift in work ethic and achievement. Welfare did that. We could credit Biden, but it was LBJ and Co.

    Savings - Asians (especially the Korean wife) are NOTORIOUS scrooges when it comes to saving. What good is all that income if you blow it all away on needless crap. it comes down to making good decisions on what you NEED and buy only what you need and do NOT buy stuff that breaks and makes you spend that money again. USA USED to be real good at that, but now, real crappy overall. When I was in the Army, I would see time and time again 18-21 yr olds coming in, you do not get big money at that age and rank, but it is something... but these kids of last few generations and now BLOW IT ALL AWAY on a car... but that isn't enough, they gotta buy a $5000 loud stereo... then HUGE wheels, then a lift kit and window treatment. Next thing U know, 3 yrs later, car is towed away reposessed, because kid cannot keep up with the 8 loans he took out to fund those projects.
    Curiosity. Aside from Asians that you mentioned, are these traits present in other ethnics in the US who are first gen immigrants? Eastern Europeans? Latin Americans? Carribeans? Africans? Or are these traits specific to Asians only?

    I am not sure, coz over here, we are all Asians so I don't have much to compare.
    Last edited by Gozo; 06-24-2022 at 01:59 AM.

  6. Wrighty67 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 122 291
    Wrighty67's Avatar
    Wrighty67 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 291 122

    User Info Menu

    #6
    Good luck, I’m sure you’ll knock it out of the park!

    Just by way of counterbalance though, I don’t believe any exam decides your fate - your fate is determined by much more than that and over a longer period than 3 days.

    Sometimes a failed exam might take you in the direction you were meant to be headed all along but didn’t know yet.

    Success is about much more than money and a lucrative profession - there are more ways to add value to life than doing well financially.

    Be happy.

  7. brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 527 1,161
    B
    brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,161 527

    User Info Menu

    #7
    I have been to China 8 times. It is different from other places.
    @PingBirdPong. Is this the Gao Kao test?
    If so then good luck
    I don't think the rest of US understand the importance of these tests in China. As PingBirdPong said, these test decide your life.
    I have seen on YouTube where this year's test are particularly hard and biased against those that don't live in the big cities.
    On top of that they are just hard this year because China has more graduate students that it know what to do with and many get jobs doing menial things just like those that get advanced degrees in basket weaving do in the US. The tests have been made much harder so "screen" people.

    It is a tough time to be a student in China. There is so much competition. If you teachers haven't prepared you for the obscure questions on the test, you are doomed.









  8. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,857 4,265
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 4,265 2,857

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    4,265
    2,857
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenball
    I have been to China 8 times. It is different from other places.
    @PingBirdPong. Is this the Gao Kao test?
    If so then good luck
    I don't think the rest of US understand the importance of these tests in China. As PingBirdPong said, these test decide your life.
    I have seen on YouTube where this year's test are particularly hard and biased against those that don't live in the big cities.
    On top of that they are just hard this year because China has more graduate students that it know what to do with and many get jobs doing menial things just like those that get advanced degrees in basket weaving do in the US. The tests have been made much harder so "screen" people.

    It is a tough time to be a student in China. There is so much competition. If you teachers haven't prepared you for the obscure questions on the test, you are doomed.

    Yes, it is Gao Kao
    It is very important, but you won't be doomed for life.
    The world today is a global village, the world is bigger than China and indeed China is over populated with around 10 million university graduates every year (every year you need 10 million new jobs?), I know quite a few people that didn't do well in Gao Kao, but still have a very productive and successful life and I also know that have all phds and high paying jobs, but are they really happy about life? Pressure vs work life balance is also a key to longevity, not just green tea.

    PingBirdPong
    The world is your oyster, takes each exam/tests at that time, as that chapter of your life - nothing will every determine all the chapters of your whole life - unless it is a prison sentence for life. So do your best and then move forward into the next chapter of your life!

    The Following 2 Users Like Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

    mihalichtheone and PingBirdPong

    TTT

  9. PingBirdPong is offline
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)
     
    Senior TTD Member 383 714
    PingBirdPong's Avatar
    PingBirdPong is offline
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)
     
    Senior TTD Member 714 383
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenball
    I have been to China 8 times. It is different from other places.
    @PingBirdPong. Is this the Gao Kao test?
    If so then good luck
    I don't think the rest of US understand the importance of these tests in China. As PingBirdPong said, these test decide your life.
    I have seen on YouTube where this year's test are particularly hard and biased against those that don't live in the big cities.
    On top of that they are just hard this year because China has more graduate students that it know what to do with and many get jobs doing menial things just like those that get advanced degrees in basket weaving do in the US. The tests have been made much harder so "screen" people.

    It is a tough time to be a student in China. There is so much competition. If you teachers haven't prepared you for the obscure questions on the test, you are doomed.
    It’s the Junior high( middle school version).
    I’m graduating from the ninth grade.
    I was in a top middle school in Beijing, and my teachers are quite good.
    I’m on noon break, and the first test went okay.Here’s to many more!
    Achieve your dreams, or die trying.

  10. PingBirdPong is offline
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)
     
    Senior TTD Member 383 714
    PingBirdPong's Avatar
    PingBirdPong is offline
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)
     
    Senior TTD Member 714 383
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis

    Yes, it is Gao Kao
    It is very important, but you won't be doomed for life.
    The world today is a global village, the world is bigger than China and indeed China is over populated with around 10 million university graduates every year (every year you need 10 million new jobs?), I know quite a few people that didn't do well in Gao Kao, but still have a very productive and successful life and I also know that have all phds and high paying jobs, but are they really happy about life? Pressure vs work life balance is also a key to longevity, not just green tea.

    PingBirdPong
    The world is your oyster, takes each exam/tests at that time, as that chapter of your life - nothing will every determine all the chapters of your whole life - unless it is a prison sentence for life. So do your best and then move forward into the next chapter of your life!

    I mean, it’s important to me.
    wether I get good grades or not, I’m going to work for a foreign university full force. I’m going to work to become a trauma surgeon. But contrary to common belief, I despise monetary and political reasons as ones for becoming a medical professional.
    A doctor should be a doctor for, and only for their patients, nothing more, nothing less.

    The Following User Likes PingBirdPong's Post:

    latej

    Achieve your dreams, or die trying.

  11. PingBirdPong is offline
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)
     
    Senior TTD Member 383 714
    PingBirdPong's Avatar
    PingBirdPong is offline
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)
     
    Senior TTD Member 714 383
    #11
    Gao Kao was a month ago.
    I’m taking Zhong Kao
    Achieve your dreams, or die trying.

  12. Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 518 803
    Gozo's Avatar
    Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 803 518
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by PingBirdPong
    I mean, it’s important to me.
    wether I get good grades or not, I’m going to work for a foreign university full force. I’m going to work to become a trauma surgeon. But contrary to common belief, I despise monetary and political reasons as ones for becoming a medical professional.
    Bird,

    Helping people by becoming a doctor? That is so unAsian way of thinking...

  13. DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 292 580
    DukeGaGa's Avatar
    DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 580 292
    #13
    Good luck. 😆

    The Following User Likes DukeGaGa's Post:

    PingBirdPong


  14. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,857 4,265
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 4,265 2,857

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    4,265
    2,857
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozo
    Bird,

    Helping people by becoming a doctor? That is so unAsian way of thinking...

    I'm pretty certain Ronny is banned in China, not sure if Bird sees the shows daily (excuse the pun)

    The Following User Likes Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

    PingBirdPong

    TTT

  15. PingBirdPong is offline
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)
     
    Senior TTD Member 383 714
    PingBirdPong's Avatar
    PingBirdPong is offline
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)
     
    Senior TTD Member 714 383
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis

    I'm pretty certain Ronny is banned in China, not sure if Bird sees the shows daily (excuse the pun)

    I used to really like to watch the daily show with Trevor Noah, and saw Ronny a few times.
    Achieve your dreams, or die trying.

  16. PingBirdPong is offline
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)
     
    Senior TTD Member 383 714
    PingBirdPong's Avatar
    PingBirdPong is offline
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)
     
    Senior TTD Member 714 383
    #16
    Math done, feeling ok.
    thanks for all the support.
    Achieve your dreams, or die trying.

  17. jammmail is offline
    says Spin to win
     
    Advanced TTD Member 110 290
    jammmail's Avatar
    jammmail is offline
    says Spin to win
     
    Advanced TTD Member 290 110
    #17
    Good luck on the rest!

  18. PingBirdPong is offline
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)
     
    Senior TTD Member 383 714
    PingBirdPong's Avatar
    PingBirdPong is offline
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)
     
    Senior TTD Member 714 383
    #18
    Today is the last day!
    I have two more tests and I’m going to crush them!
    BTW, you all should try looking at our Politics textbooks, just absurd…
    Last edited by PingBirdPong; 06-25-2022 at 09:59 PM.
    Achieve your dreams, or die trying.

  19. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,642 11,447
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,447 11,642

    User Info Menu

    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozo
    Curiosity. Aside from Asians that you mentioned, are these traits present in other ethnics in the US who are first gen immigrants? Eastern Europeans? Latin Americans? Carribeans? Africans? Or are these traits specific to Asians only?
    Hi Gozo,

    What I showed are who dominates the Uni programs for the highest paying occupations immediately after graduation. The over-represented high percentage of Asian nation involvement these degree programs that lead to high paying jobs is not the result of systemic racism or a controlling cabel cartel of elders or anything like that... it is simply the facts that those who are 1st or 2nd gen Asian qualify for and enter those programs. No one gave it to them, it was work.

    Other groups who come to USA work hard and make it in other ways. Usually it is self-employed business operation. There is instance after instance of a family coming to USA with practically nothing, do not suck on federal assistance, live together, stay together, take the lowest paying entry level jobs, minimize expenses, support each other, organize a way to live cheaply, but cramped, SAVE money.. then after so many years, get a hand cart and start selling food and drinks.... save the money made from that and get a stand... make some money and SAVE... then get a food truck and a shop... then after so many years they have multiple trucks and locations.

    That is very typical of determined families who stay with it long terms and do what it takes to save and work together as a family unit. In USA, 30-80 percent of the majority of groups in USA have kids born with no father or original father in the household. (I think it is like under 10% for all Asians in USA for this stat) So when there is no family to speak of from the get-go, the child is immediately at a disadvantage. Asians in USA on the whole get this (the advantage of a strong parental involvement and a cohesive family unit) and it shows.
    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  20. tabletennisdaily1 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 25 88
    T
    tabletennisdaily1 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 88 25

    User Info Menu


    Apr 2022
    United States
    88
    25
    0
    Read 0 Reviews
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by PingBirdPong
    Today is the last day!
    I have two more tests and I’m going to crush them!
    BTW, you all should try looking at our Politics textbooks, just absurd…

    That's great! I want to express my late support for your testing. It is really cool to have you on the forum.
    If I am allowed to lightly ask, what is absurd about the politics textbook?

    The Following User Likes tabletennisdaily1's Post:

    PingBirdPong


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.