Exam that décides my fate

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
More power to you Bird.

One thing you see in USA, with individuals, families, and groups who want to become economically affluent (or at least get a decent standard of living) is that Skills, Hard Work, and Savings are required. Often, you see the Asians in USA doing WAY better than the rest of the general population in this regard. It comes down to family and parental vision along with the work of the child.

This sounds a lot like no shyt Sherlock stuff to Asians, who culturally do this since way ago, but in USA (even though we WERE like this 100-150 yrs ago) it is a wierd, foreign or alien concept.

Skills... acquire skills that are in demand and pay well. University not needed, but the highest paying one require specialized degree. Most USA people waste $250,000 on something that is virtually unemployable, like ethnic studies or English... but the Asians in USA... just about any Asian nation you can think of, when they go to USA, will have the parents of kids ensure their kids study Medicine, electrical/software engineering, Physics/Chemistry... you get the idea, the stuff that is IMMEDIATELY employable in demand at a high pay and it goes up. You see 70%+ of these subjects dominated by Asians for good reasons - parental vision/support for child and the achievement of the child.

Hard Work - When you get employed, you work WAY harder than everyone else... Skills and hard work will take you a lot of places. Americans USED to be mainly like that, but with so much fatherlessness since the 1960s, we see a huge shift in work ethic and achievement. Welfare did that. We could credit Biden, but it was LBJ and Co.

Savings - Asians (especially the Korean wife) are NOTORIOUS scrooges when it comes to saving. What good is all that income if you blow it all away on needless crap. it comes down to making good decisions on what you NEED and buy only what you need and do NOT buy stuff that breaks and makes you spend that money again. USA USED to be real good at that, but now, real crappy overall. When I was in the Army, I would see time and time again 18-21 yr olds coming in, you do not get big money at that age and rank, but it is something... but these kids of last few generations and now BLOW IT ALL AWAY on a car... but that isn't enough, they gotta buy a $5000 loud stereo... then HUGE wheels, then a lift kit and window treatment. Next thing U know, 3 yrs later, car is towed away reposessed, because kid cannot keep up with the 8 loans he took out to fund those projects.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Hi, I’m about to go and take the Chinese Middle school academic exams(中考). It lasts three days, and the result will decide where I go in life. It’s like the SATs for the US,but a lot more influential.
Wish me luck!
Go get em tiger. Come back to TT after this for more excitement in life. 😁

Mar 2021
More power to you Bird.

One thing you see in USA, with individuals, families, and groups who want to become economically affluent (or at least get a decent standard of living) is that Skills, Hard Work, and Savings are required. Often, you see the Asians in USA doing WAY better than the rest of the general population in this regard. It comes down to family and parental vision along with the work of the child.

This sounds a lot like no shyt Sherlock stuff to Asians, who culturally do this since way ago, but in USA (even though we WERE like this 100-150 yrs ago) it is a wierd, foreign or alien concept.

Skills... acquire skills that are in demand and pay well. University not needed, but the highest paying one require specialized degree. Most USA people waste $250,000 on something that is virtually unemployable, like ethnic studies or English... but the Asians in USA... just about any Asian nation you can think of, when they go to USA, will have the parents of kids ensure their kids study Medicine, electrical/software engineering, Physics/Chemistry... you get the idea, the stuff that is IMMEDIATELY employable in demand at a high pay and it goes up. You see 70%+ of these subjects dominated by Asians for good reasons - parental vision/support for child and the achievement of the child.

Hard Work - When you get employed, you work WAY harder than everyone else... Skills and hard work will take you a lot of places. Americans USED to be mainly like that, but with so much fatherlessness since the 1960s, we see a huge shift in work ethic and achievement. Welfare did that. We could credit Biden, but it was LBJ and Co.

Savings - Asians (especially the Korean wife) are NOTORIOUS scrooges when it comes to saving. What good is all that income if you blow it all away on needless crap. it comes down to making good decisions on what you NEED and buy only what you need and do NOT buy stuff that breaks and makes you spend that money again. USA USED to be real good at that, but now, real crappy overall. When I was in the Army, I would see time and time again 18-21 yr olds coming in, you do not get big money at that age and rank, but it is something... but these kids of last few generations and now BLOW IT ALL AWAY on a car... but that isn't enough, they gotta buy a $5000 loud stereo... then HUGE wheels, then a lift kit and window treatment. Next thing U know, 3 yrs later, car is towed away reposessed, because kid cannot keep up with the 8 loans he took out to fund those projects.
Curiosity. Aside from Asians that you mentioned, are these traits present in other ethnics in the US who are first gen immigrants? Eastern Europeans? Latin Americans? Carribeans? Africans? Or are these traits specific to Asians only?

I am not sure, coz over here, we are all Asians so I don't have much to compare.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Good luck, I’m sure you’ll knock it out of the park!

Just by way of counterbalance though, I don’t believe any exam decides your fate - your fate is determined by much more than that and over a longer period than 3 days.

Sometimes a failed exam might take you in the direction you were meant to be headed all along but didn’t know yet.

Success is about much more than money and a lucrative profession - there are more ways to add value to life than doing well financially.

Be happy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have been to China 8 times. It is different from other places.
@PingBirdPong. Is this the Gao Kao test?
If so then good luck
I don't think the rest of US understand the importance of these tests in China. As PingBirdPong said, these test decide your life.
I have seen on YouTube where this year's test are particularly hard and biased against those that don't live in the big cities.
On top of that they are just hard this year because China has more graduate students that it know what to do with and many get jobs doing menial things just like those that get advanced degrees in basket weaving do in the US. The tests have been made much harder so "screen" people.

It is a tough time to be a student in China. There is so much competition. If you teachers haven't prepared you for the obscure questions on the test, you are doomed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
If so then good luck
I don't think the rest of US understand the importance of these tests in China. As PingBirdPong said, these test decide your life.
I have seen on YouTube where this year's test are particularly hard and biased against those that don't live in the big cities.
On top of that they are just hard this year because China has more graduate students that it know what to do with and many get jobs doing menial things just like those that get advanced degrees in basket weaving do in the US. The tests have been made much harder so "screen" people.

It is a tough time to be a student in China. There is so much competition. If you teachers haven't prepared you for the obscure questions on the test, you are doomed.

Yes, it is Gao Kao
It is very important, but you won't be doomed for life.
The world today is a global village, the world is bigger than China and indeed China is over populated with around 10 million university graduates every year (every year you need 10 million new jobs?), I know quite a few people that didn't do well in Gao Kao, but still have a very productive and successful life and I also know that have all phds and high paying jobs, but are they really happy about life? Pressure vs work life balance is also a key to longevity, not just green tea.

PingBirdPong
The world is your oyster, takes each exam/tests at that time, as that chapter of your life - nothing will every determine all the chapters of your whole life - unless it is a prison sentence for life. So do your best and then move forward into the next chapter of your life!

This user has no status.
If so then good luck

It’s the Junior high( middle school version).
I’m graduating from the ninth grade.
I was in a top middle school in Beijing, and my teachers are quite good.
I’m on noon break, and the first test went okay.Here’s to many more!

This user has no status.

Yes, it is Gao Kao
It is very important, but you won't be doomed for life.
The world today is a global village, the world is bigger than China and indeed China is over populated with around 10 million university graduates every year (every year you need 10 million new jobs?), I know quite a few people that didn't do well in Gao Kao, but still have a very productive and successful life and I also know that have all phds and high paying jobs, but are they really happy about life? Pressure vs work life balance is also a key to longevity, not just green tea.

PingBirdPong
The world is your oyster, takes each exam/tests at that time, as that chapter of your life - nothing will every determine all the chapters of your whole life - unless it is a prison sentence for life. So do your best and then move forward into the next chapter of your life!

I mean, it’s important to me.
wether I get good grades or not, I’m going to work for a foreign university full force. I’m going to work to become a trauma surgeon. But contrary to common belief, I despise monetary and political reasons as ones for becoming a medical professional.
A doctor should be a doctor for, and only for their patients, nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: latej
Mar 2021
I mean, it’s important to me.
wether I get good grades or not, I’m going to work for a foreign university full force. I’m going to work to become a trauma surgeon. But contrary to common belief, I despise monetary and political reasons as ones for becoming a medical professional.
Bird,

Helping people by becoming a doctor? That is so unAsian way of thinking...

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Curiosity. Aside from Asians that you mentioned, are these traits present in other ethnics in the US who are first gen immigrants? Eastern Europeans? Latin Americans? Carribeans? Africans? Or are these traits specific to Asians only?

Hi Gozo,

What I showed are who dominates the Uni programs for the highest paying occupations immediately after graduation. The over-represented high percentage of Asian nation involvement these degree programs that lead to high paying jobs is not the result of systemic racism or a controlling cabel cartel of elders or anything like that... it is simply the facts that those who are 1st or 2nd gen Asian qualify for and enter those programs. No one gave it to them, it was work.

Other groups who come to USA work hard and make it in other ways. Usually it is self-employed business operation. There is instance after instance of a family coming to USA with practically nothing, do not suck on federal assistance, live together, stay together, take the lowest paying entry level jobs, minimize expenses, support each other, organize a way to live cheaply, but cramped, SAVE money.. then after so many years, get a hand cart and start selling food and drinks.... save the money made from that and get a stand... make some money and SAVE... then get a food truck and a shop... then after so many years they have multiple trucks and locations.

That is very typical of determined families who stay with it long terms and do what it takes to save and work together as a family unit. In USA, 30-80 percent of the majority of groups in USA have kids born with no father or original father in the household. (I think it is like under 10% for all Asians in USA for this stat) So when there is no family to speak of from the get-go, the child is immediately at a disadvantage. Asians in USA on the whole get this (the advantage of a strong parental involvement and a cohesive family unit) and it shows.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Today is the last day!
I have two more tests and I’m going to crush them!
BTW, you all should try looking at our Politics textbooks, just absurd…

That's great! I want to express my late support for your testing. It is really cool to have you on the forum.
If I am allowed to lightly ask, what is absurd about the politics textbook?

• Haha
Reactions: PingBirdPong